ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Annual IF Comp 2019

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: Annual IF Comp 2019

Postby David Whyld » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:23 pm

I suppose now is as good a time to ask as any: these issues with the Webrunner, are they going to get resolved any time soon? Is any kind of plan in place to sort them out once and for all?

It doesn't affect me as a player because I'll always download games wherever possible, but as an author it's pretty disheartening seeing the problems people keep running into with ADRIFT games. I've read quite a few comments this year about this kind of thing, just as I read them last year, and still nothing ever seems to get sorted out. It's a bit discouraging as far as game writing is concerned, especially for something like the IFComp. Several comments I've heard this year have mentioned that, due to the sheer number of games in the comp, people tend to abandon games they run into problems with. Which is perfectly understandable and I've done the same thing myself before. After all, it's up to the author to make sure the games run perfectly and not up to the player to hunt around the internet for a possible solution, if one even exists.

So... any solution incoming? Or is ADRIFT going to be forever consigned to the "might work, might not work" category?
David Whyld

Postby The0didactus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Maz and I are working on a permanent solution which should be in place by december. I'm willing to pay the cost of the server (it's not much) and I have a pretty strong incentive to keep the server running in relative perpetuity (I want my kids to be able to play these games online). This doesn't have to displace the ADRIFT central servers, but it's a good place to employ if those become spotty again.
The0didactus

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 am

@David
Like you I seldom (never) use the webrunner. I prefer to download the game and be able to bring it with me where ever I go (No even in these days not all places has wifi)
I wrote Campbell about the IF Comp result and, as expected, he was very pleased. I hope that this will maybe motivate him to work on the Adrift again.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 70Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:44 am

The WebRunner problems were caused by my PC keep going into sleep mode. Not sure why that was happening, as it shouldn't if it's running a web server, but I think if it stays dormant for long enough, it was happening. I finally got around to turning off auto-sleep on the PC to resolve it.

But yes, running the service on a proper server rather than my PC would be the long term solution. If anyone knows any decent Windows servers for doing this, please forward me on the details. When I looked before I wasn't able to find one at a reasonable price that fulfilled the criteria.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Campbell wrote:But yes, running the service on a proper server rather than my PC would be the long term solution. If anyone knows any decent Windows servers for doing this, please forward me on the details. When I looked before I wasn't able to find one at a reasonable price that fulfilled the criteria.

Wouldn't mind pitching in if needed.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 70Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Cricket » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:36 am

Congratulations to those of you who entered for getfing that in, and congratulations to Theo for earning the Golden Banana.
Cricket

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:35 am

P/o Prune wrote:Wouldn't mind pitching in if needed.
Thanks for your donation Finn. :blush:
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:42 pm

When Campbell does find a suitable server/service, why not on the main website have a Donate button above a progress bar depicting how much left to go for that month. And have a widget/badge link on the landing page for this forum to go there to donate. This way members of the forum can donate when they can. Also i wonder if it would be possible on the server site (this might be possible with the service or Campbell would need to add it in himself?) when we have a page hosting our game- that we can have a cover image and a comments widget so players can leave feedback about a game they play. Perhaps also some counters as for how many people have played your game in total and also another for current month etc. Maybe an option for game creator to turn off comments if they prefer not to have any.

I would presume text based servers would be much cheaper than gaming ones, and maybe more closer to a blog hosting server?

Perhaps Maz could suggest some he might know of that would fit the bill cost wise and has such features as i suggested?
DazaKiwi

Previous

Return to Competitions