ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ParserComp 2015

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: ParserComp 2015

Postby Po. Prune » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:14 pm

David Whyld wrote:Snip
Saying that, I don’t like the way the whole IF scene is going these days so I'm not sure I’d be entering the IFComp for much longer anyway. As much as I like Twine and various other CYOA systems, most of the games written with them aren't really games at all. Before long, we’re going to see arty little CYOA pieces dominating every comp and parser games won’t get a look in.

Interesting point of view, David. Perhaps we're going to see a new trend where people are going back to the "old fashioned" IF games, starting an entirely new community.
About a year or so ago, someone published an old style "adventure" game. just like the very first Sierra OnLine, Police Quest, Larry etc.
It instantly became incredibly poppular (and it was actually very fun)
I guess what I'm trying to say is that there will always be nostalgic Guys like us. :yeah:
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Perhaps we're going to see a new trend where people are going back to the "old fashioned" IF games...

I knew if I waited long enough, the sort of games I write, which I describe as "old school", would come back into fashion! Time to drop the "old school" from the game blurb then! :yeah:
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:04 pm

In many ways, I find the old school games a lot more appealing than the current wave of arty games. Some of it might simply be nostalgia, but I suspect a good deal of it is the fact that so many games these days aren't really what I consider games. Give me a good old-fashioned treasure hunt any day to a game which asks me to search my soul to provide the meaning of life (or some such nonsense).
David Whyld

Postby Lyricasylum » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:23 pm

I entered my game in ParserComp (not the main one I'm working on but a simpler game that I happened to have finished in time). I don't expect it to win but at least people will play it.
Lyricasylum

Postby Po. Prune » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:29 am

Lyricasylum wrote:I entered my game in ParserComp (not the main one I'm working on but a simpler game that I happened to have finished in time). I don't expect it to win but at least people will play it.

That's the spirit... :yeah: Get your games out there and have people play them.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Campbell » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:37 pm

David Whyld wrote:In many ways, I find the old school games a lot more appealing than the current wave of arty games. Some of it might simply be nostalgia, but I suspect a good deal of it is the fact that so many games these days aren't really what I consider games. Give me a good old-fashioned treasure hunt any day to a game which asks me to search my soul to provide the meaning of life (or some such nonsense).
Agreed.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Competitions