ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ParserComp 2015

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

ParserComp 2015

Postby rotter » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:18 am

Is anyone planning to enter this competition?

http://www.sibylmoon.com/parsercomp-2015/
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Re: ParserComp 2015

Postby David Whyld » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:03 am

I'm tempted to enter. It seems like the IFComp before they introduced that awful updates rule during the voting period.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:47 am

Interesting. Haven't heard of this before.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:21 am

I saw a link to it on Google+ of all places.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Lumin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:53 pm

I was just going to post about this, somehow didn't notice this thread.

No idea if I can get a new game into any kind of shape by then, but I'd love to enter. (Hey, somebody has to come in last place... :P)

Anyway I hope this does well, the IFComp and the Spring Thing have both changed so much, I get kind of nostalgic for just a regular IF Comp sometimes.

If nothing else you guys all be sure to vote. :)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:17 pm

I'm very tempted to enter. Not too keen on the fact that only the top 3 games are ranked, but I'd imagine turnout for the first few years will be pretty small anyway so it might not be an issue. Everything else about it I like, and the theme of 'sunshine' is so vague as to allow you to include pretty much any game and still have it qualify. Heck, I could probably dust off an unfinished game from years ago, add a few obligatory references to sunshine and have it counted.

With the IFComp dead to me these days and the Spring Thing not a comp anymore (Spring Festival...? Oh dear), it's nice to see another comp launching.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Sunrise, which yeah, is still extremely vague. And it doesn't look like they're enforcing the theme anyway, you just miss out on your chance at the 'best use of theme' award.

David Whyld wrote:...and the Spring Thing not a comp anymore (Spring Festival...? Oh dear)

It's...different, I'll give you that. There's just something about the way the entire site is worded that feels kind of...condescending I guess? But mostly I'm just annoyed they're 1.) not a comp anymore, and 2:) accepting unfinished games...how do you even enforce the 'as long as they're still polished enough' clause in this atmosphere of love and peace and not-taking-a-chance-on-hurting-anyone's-feelings-ever the main IF community has gotten all swept up in lately, especially with them doing away with the entrance fee? I'm kind of half-expecting a rule about how from now on you have to say two nice things for every critical remark when you vote or whatever.

Oh well, I don't want to sound all cranky and bitter, and maybe this'll be a good opportunity to get some feedback on one of my WIPs without even having to worry about finishing it first, sounds like you can basically treat the 'Back Garden' like an intro comp if you want.

Gotta try and get in the spirit of things. (To this end I will be purchasing and donating a bong to the prize pool... ;) )

e: Image (Much better.)
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Sunshine / sunrise - you can tell how carefully I read the rules, can't you? :) I still like the idea of the comp, though.

Lumin wrote:2:) accepting unfinished games

I missed the bit about them accepting unfinished games, though in truth I didn't pay much attention once I realised it was no longer a comp anymore but... a festival - yeah, I still have trouble typing that without putting it in italics. I'm sure it seems like a good idea to some people but to me it just goes against the very nature of the Spring Thing. I'd sooner have a proper comp, even one with alleged vote rigging, than a festival celebrating games people couldn't even be bothered to finish.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:40 pm

I assume this whole trend is brought on by 'IF is dying' fears, so now we're so desperate for new games that 'judging' them is out of the question, feelings might get hurt or potential authors scared away. We have to celebrate every single thing that gets produced now, and nevermind the actual quality.

Really it's kind of like the 'talent shows' my niece's daycare puts on, except what's adorable for eight year old's comes off as a bit desperate and sad for adults.

But anyway, back to ParserComp! I've actually started a new game this week (I know, I know, I've got to stop doing that...) It doesn't have anything to do with 'Sunrise' but if I can continue writing at this pace I could finish it well before February. Lots of detail in the writing but mechanics-wise it's a pretty straightforward 'collect the items' thing...hopefully everyone will be too busy sighing and rolling their eyes at the rest of the game to notice.

Really I think I'm going to stop being so critical of my WIPs and just shovel them out the door whenever possible. The only solution to this little phase the IF community is going through is to produce parser games, lots and lots of parser games, so many that they stop being endangered and we can all go back to having standards.

David, didn't you used to crank out like a dozen a month or something ridiculous like that? Come on, chop chop, let's see you get back to it. Shake the cobwebs off v4 if you have to. Let's see what Clueless Bob Newbie's been up to. (I bet by now he's discovered Twine...)
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:12 am

Lumin wrote:I assume this whole trend is brought on by 'IF is dying' fears, so now we're so desperate for new games that 'judging' them is out of the question, feelings might get hurt or potential authors scared away. We have to celebrate every single thing that gets produced now, and nevermind the actual quality.

Sounds a bit like the Quest forum. Quality is irrelevant, the important thing is that you write a game. Which of course leads to a lot of very, very bad games and very, very few good ones.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:13 pm

So, one month later: anyone planning to enter this?

I have a small game I can definitely finish in time but it might not be in ADRIFT and I'm still trying to figure out how to shoehorn 'sunrise' into it.

I know it's not required but I love themed contests and if I'm going to participate I want it to be in the spirit of the thing.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:56 am

I intend to enter but... I haven't actually put much work into the idea I came up with and I'd have to really rush things to get it done in time. I'm still quietly confident I'll make it, but if I do the original idea is going to need to be cut down quite a bit to make the deadline.
David Whyld

Postby Lyricasylum » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:12 am

David Whyld wrote:I'm very tempted to enter. Not too keen on the fact that only the top 3 games are ranked, but I'd imagine turnout for the first few years will be pretty small anyway so it might not be an issue. Everything else about it I like, and the theme of 'sunshine' is so vague as to allow you to include pretty much any game and still have it qualify. Heck, I could probably dust off an unfinished game from years ago, add a few obligatory references to sunshine and have it counted.

With the IFComp dead to me these days and the Spring Thing not a comp anymore (Spring Festival...? Oh dear), it's nice to see another comp launching.

I'm new to these comps. I'm curious why IFComp is dead to you. What did they do?

As for ParserComp, I'm working on a game that does have the character move from nighttime to daylight so I suppose it could qualify as a Sunrise theme. Hopefully I'll finish it by the 1st!
Lyricasylum

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:45 am

The short version is that the rules were changed a few years back to allow authors to enter a buggy game and then go back and update it as many times as they wanted while the comp was running, which to some of us was a problem from both an entrant and a judge's standpoint. There was some controversy about it and David (and others I'm sure) decided not to bother with the comp after that point.

And just from my standpoint, in general it seems the whole environment and attitude of that section of the community has been changing into something I'm less and less interested in being a part of, while the glut of Twine or browser games we've been getting these last couple years has been making for so much more white noise to shift through I can hardly even make myself care enough to be even a casual player anymore.

The ParserComp here is the first major IF comp I've actually looked forward too in years, though it's looking less and less likely that I'll be done with my WIP in time to enter.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 am

Pretty much what Lumin said. The updates rule really soured me on the whole IFComp scene and I can’t find any kind of enthusiasm for it these days. I've downloaded the games for the past couple of years but didn’t get around to playing or voting for any of them as I was sure most would be updated multiple times before the end of the comp and so the version I was playing might be completely different to the final version. Making my votes kinda irrelevant. It’s like playing a beta version of a game knowing the finished version will come out soon – why bother playing the buggy beta version when you can wait a while and play the finished bug-free version?

It also just seems wrong for a competition to allow updates during the voting period. Like entering an exam, being told you’ve got some of the answers wrong, and being given the exam paper back so you can improve your answer. Does this kind of thing lead to better, more polished games in the end? Maybe, but it’s still not in the spirit of a competition so I won’t be entering while it remains in place. (And if better, more polished games is the most important thing, there's nothing to stop authors fixing everything that’s wrong and releasing a new version of the game after the comp voting period is over. You know, like they always did in the past.)

Saying that, I don’t like the way the whole IF scene is going these days so I'm not sure I’d be entering the IFComp for much longer anyway. As much as I like Twine and various other CYOA systems, most of the games written with them aren't really games at all. Before long, we’re going to see arty little CYOA pieces dominating every comp and parser games won’t get a look in.
David Whyld

Next

Return to Competitions