ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

IF Comp 2014 Results Announced

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

IF Comp 2014 Results Announced

Postby rotter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:24 am

As I've seen no mention I thought I would post. The results of the IF Comp 2014 have been announced.

Did anyone here play any?

If you did what did you think?

If you didn't why not?
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Re: IF Comp 2014 Results Announced

Postby Campbell » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:37 am

Wow, a Quest game came third. That's impressive!
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:39 am

I haven't played any of the games yet but I might have a go now the comp is over - the updates rule introduced a few years back has soured me on playing games during the comp in case they get updated a day later.

I see a Quest game came third which was surprising. The last time I tried Quest it was as horribly broken as ever but clearly someone who knows what they're doing is willing to stick with it longer than I did.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:44 am

David Whyld wrote:I see a Quest game came third which was surprising. The last time I tried Quest it was as horribly broken as ever but clearly someone who knows what they're doing is willing to stick with it longer than I did.

I recently had a look at a Quest game in development called "Spondre" by Jay Habronne and, although it is a "click 'n' choose" type game which is not my cup of tea, I was astonished at how slick and professional it looked in comparison to other Quest adventures. You should have a look when it is released.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:39 am

I've always thought Quest had potential, but the interface (from the GUI side of things) seems such a mess to me that I've never had the willpower to do anything much with it. I guess if you're a programmer, you get to avoid the GUI altogether so maybe from the programing side of things Quest isn't so bad.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:51 am

David, did you ever look at Quest 5? Alex redesigned Quest heavily between the two versions.

(Also, Quest 4 wasn't too pleasant to programmers, either. I discovered lots and lots of unpleasantness when I was writing Geas.)
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:22 pm

I tried several different versions of 4 but not 5. I'm quite happy with Inform for the time being.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:15 am

I suppose it's also worth noting that the Quest game had the fewest number of votes of all the games in the top 10. Which is a little surprising since it should have been possible to run it on most systems. The game placed second had almost double the number of people playing it.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Had a look at the votes and wow, you're right. I wonder how many people saw it was a Quest game and just moved it to the bottom of their list. But if so they really missed out, it's a fun game and everyone who did play it gave it a pretty good score. (Well, everyone except the single individual who gave it a '1' for some reason, I'd be curious to know what the reasoning was there.)

I'm surprised with Quest having such a large community, more of them didn't bother to play and vote on one of their own.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Campbell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Or perhaps it _was_ the Quest community that voted. (Sorry, that's a bit cynical. :blush: )
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Normally I might agree with you, but nah, in this particular case the game was actually a lot of fun. You should play it if you haven't.

Of course no idea how it actually stacks up against the other entries, I've only had a chance to look at Tea Ceremony and Icepunk so far.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Return to Competitions