ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Anyone in the mood for a comp?

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Anyone in the mood for a comp?

Postby Lumin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:15 am

It's been so long since we had one, and what better way to start off the new year?

I know we've all got irons in the fire already so small and simple would probably be best. Another Hourglass comp, one day comp, one room comp...some kind of restriction like that to keep it manageable and make sure everyone who's interested can set aside enough time to participate.

Thoughts?

Sorry for editing your post Lumin. But I thought it would be a good idea to have the rules of the comp posted on the top of the thread.
p/o Prune

Rules:
Theme of the game is free (although, in order to stay out of trouble with Miami Vice, let's keep it clean.)
Game has to be made using Adrift V.5
Game must not have been published before.
Maximum 2 locations
Maximum 1 npc

Deadline for entering:
January 31st (Realizing that there are timezones etc. I'm not going to stick to this like glue ... but that doesn't mean that games entered weeks after the deadline will be accepted. :| )

Deadline for voting:
14 February (Same rule as above applies here)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Re: Anyone in the mood for a comp?

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:33 am

(I'm not trying to steal your idea Lumin :whistle: )
These Little competitions is a great way to slowly introduce newcomers to the World of adventure writing. This way they will be "forced" to write a small game rather than go in head over heal and try to write a monster of a game that seldom gets anywhere.

So, I'm all for it... and I'll even give a 10$ prize .. to be paid via paypal or Amazon voucher...
Since this is the first comp of the year (I'm not trying to steal your idea Lumin :whistle: ) I suggest we make it simple.

Theme is free
Game has to be made using V.5
Minimum 2 locations
Minimum 1 npc

Anything else?
End date?
evaluation period?
Voting period?
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:57 am

Oh, by all means go right ahead and steal it if you want, no complaints here! :) I'm no good at organizing these things, I just want to see one happen one way or another.

Though I'd rather see a maximum cap on locations and NPCs, for the same reason I'm a fan of mini-comps with a time limit (three hours, one day, whatever). It puts everyone on a level playing field. Anyone can find a few hours somewhere in their week to work on a tiny game, and the knowledge that everyone else is working under the same restrictions eliminates any concerns about getting blown away by bigger, more ambitious entries.
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:22 am

Ok, Lumin, I get your point
So the "Anyone in the mood for a comp?" competition is hereby officially launched. :claps:

Rules:
Theme of the game is free (although, in order to stay out of trouble with Miami Vice, let's keep it clean.)
Game has to be made using Adrift V.5
Game must not have been published before.
Maximum 2 locations
Maximum 1 npc

Deadline for entering:
January 31st (Realizing that there are timezones etc. I'm not going to stick to this like glue ... but that doesn't mean that games entered weeks after the deadline will be accepted. :| )

Deadline for voting:
14 February (Same rule as above applies here)

And finally Price for the best game will be 10$. to be paid either via Paypal, or Amazon voucher.
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:38 am

Sounds fine to me, and since nobody else is here right now does that make it official? :) Or do we wait and see if anyone else wants to chime in with comments/suggestions?

Oh, and since they're traditional, I'm going to go ahead and jump in now with all the nitpicky questions like 'what defines a location'? ;)
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:56 am

Lumin wrote:Oh, and since they're traditional, I'm going to go ahead and jump in now with all the nitpicky questions like 'what defines a location'? ;)

I chose the phrase location because I wanted to avoid questions like that :?
Anyway. The phrase "Location" covers any place which has one or more exits (hidden or visible) that leads to another place may it be indoor or outdoor.
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:58 am

But but but what if there's two locations in the developer and I only create the illusion of another one using alternate descriptions and task trickery, huh? What then, Mr. Comp Organizer?

(see why I was okay with leaving this to you? :P)
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:21 am

You only do that because you live so far away in Texas ]:)
But to answer your question... I would be ok, but you'd still have to create an exit making it possible to travel between the two locations...
This is not just a competition (troublemaker you! :x ) it's also an attempt to get authors to dig into the possibilities of the V.5
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:32 pm

The truth is I tricked you into agreeing to that because reusing locations is something I've been wanting to experiment with. Of course whether I actually do or not will depend on how much time I wind up having...

Oh, and just reporting that I saw Lazzah, NickyDude, and David all lurking around in the shadows yesterday and yet they declined to post here. I think that must mean they were all up to something suspicious, we should keep an eye on them. Image
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Well, I don't use ADRIFT anymore and I've never used V5 so I didn't think there was much point in me posting in this thread. Lurking rules!
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Post in the other thread about your WIPs with...ugh...Inform then! Lurking is antisocial behavior!
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:50 am

Lumin wrote:Oh, and just reporting that I saw Lazzah, NickyDude, and David all lurking around in the shadows yesterday and yet they declined to post here. I think that must mean they were all up to something suspicious, we should keep an eye on them. Image

I talked to Lazzah earlier, and he indicated that he'd enter the comp.
I'm already Brewing something up so I'm definitely going to enter. Heck, I could use the 10$ even if it's myself, paying them rofl

I can't speak for NickyDude, but David, wouldn't it be a good opportunity to mess around a Little with the V.5?
10$ Price Money and only two locations. Shouldn't be too hard to knit something together.
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:01 am

I know, come on David, I think you can handle two little rooms. v5 isn't that scary. :P But anyway, good to hear Lazzah's in on this. As for me, my problem is I know exactly what I want to do, I just...don't have a plot to go along with it yet.

Oh yes, and I had an idea for an additional 'prize' that won't cost anyone a dime. (Well, an idea I sort of stole from another forum...) I propose that, by entering the contest, you agree that if you're one of the losers you'll change your avatar and signature to something of the winner's choosing, and keep it that way for an entire month. Might be fun. ]:)
Lumin

Postby Lyricasylum » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm interested in this competition! I've only just started using Adrift, but I think I can handle two rooms.

What's this about a time limit? Does that mean we have to spend only a certain amount of hours working on it? Do we go by the honor system?
Lyricasylum

Postby Po. Prune » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:18 am

Lyricasylum wrote:I'm interested in this competition! I've only just started using Adrift, but I think I can handle two rooms.

What's this about a time limit? Does that mean we have to spend only a certain amount of hours working on it? Do we go by the honor system?

Hi there.
Let me joun the chorous and welcome you to our little corner of the IF universe. I hope you''ll stay a a long time and have lots of fun.
As for the time limit, it simply means that you have to send the taf file to me (address to be included later) no later than January 31st
I will then zip all the entries and upload them to the web site.
Pepole can then play the games and vote for them (a pol will be set up) until 14 February, and the winner will be announced the following day.
Po. Prune

Next

Return to Competitions