ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Anyone in the mood for a comp?

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: Anyone in the mood for a comp?

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Glad to have you aboard, Lyricasylum! (can I call you Lyric? :))

All that talk about a time limit earlier was when we were just in the 'tossing ideas around' phase. It's not a part of this contest, but when it is (for the 3 hour Ectocomp we do in October, etc.) then yes, we generally do just go by the honor system.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Lumin wrote:All that talk about a time limit earlier was when we were just in the 'tossing ideas around' phase. It's not a part of this contest, but when it is (for the 3 hour Ectocomp we do in October, etc.) then yes, we generally do just go by the honor system.

So what I make of this post, Lumin, is that you will host the Ectocomp this year? :yeah:
That's great news. Now we'll have at lease two competitions already. Thank you :yeah:

:P
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:42 pm

Po. Prune wrote:So what I make of this post, Lumin, is that you will host the Ectocomp this year? :yeah:
That's great news. Now we'll have at lease two competitions already. Thank you :yeah:
:P

Hey now, wait did I say that?! :? The Ectocomp is a mainstream IF comp now anyway, so I assume they'll take care of it over on the intfiction forums. But if this one goes well and I can think of a cool prize, who knows, maybe, just maybe there will be an Hourglass comp somewhere in our future... :whistle:
Lumin

Postby Lyricasylum » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Lumin wrote:Glad to have you aboard, Lyricasylum! (can I call you Lyric? :))

Fine by me. :)

BTW, I read your interview in the Adrift newsletter from a couple years back. Very entertaining!
Lyricasylum

Postby Lumin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Lyricasylum wrote:BTW, I read your interview in the Adrift newsletter from a couple years back. Very entertaining!

Thanks! Though more than a 'couple' of years, actually. It weirds me out sometimes when I realize how long I've been posting here. :O

Anyway, fingers crossed I can make some real progress on this this weekend...
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:40 pm

Lumin wrote:Thanks! Though more than a 'couple' of years, actually. It weirds me out sometimes when I realize how long I've been posting here. :O

Yep! Remember like it was yesterday, Campbell and I would swing by the kindergarden to pick you up for your lessons with Adrift. rofl
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:01 am

Po. Prune wrote:Yep! Remember like it was yesterday, Campbell and I would swing by the kindergarden to pick you up for your lessons with Adrift. rofl

I don't recall this but I'll take your word for it because yep! The two of you sure are pretty old! :P

Also, update on my game: I've discovered that these comp limits are essentially meaningless. Turns out faking an NPC is really easy! :)
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:39 am

Lumin wrote:Also, update on my game: I've discovered that these comp limits are essentially meaningless. Turns out faking an NPC is really easy! :)

Well, I wouldn't call them meaningless. The idea is to get people to work with Adrift and discover the various possibilities (including but not limited to false NPC's :P )
I'm almost doen with mine.. Nothing major mind you. I have been on and off, trying to work on it at the same time I'm working on my Spitfire model .. So if you suddenly find part of the instructions for the flight controls to a Spitfire Mk.Ia, please forgive me :?
Will be looking for beta testers soon (I hope)
Po. Prune

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Ok, Mid Januray... Time for a status update.
Is anyone, beside me and Lumin, planning on participating in this competition? We've got a few new members and I would imagine this being just something for them to sink their teeth into.
Po. Prune

Postby Lazzah » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:42 pm

I might be able to knock up something as I have just had a idea............. :claps: :D
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:50 pm

Lazzah wrote:I might be able to knock up something as I have just had a idea............. :claps: :D

It would be great if you could Lazzah. We need to show the rest of the IF scene that we're still alive... even if only barely :(
I still hope that some of the new drifters will enter too...
Po. Prune

Postby Lyricasylum » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:15 am

I'll do my best to come up with something.
Lyricasylum

Postby Lumin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:15 pm

I have my game idea and had gotten a good start on it, but at this point I honestly don't know if I can make that deadline. I keep meaning to work on it during my breaks or when I get home, but bluh, sinus infection + wonderful new schedule with a split shift that keeps me stuck in town all day + horrible tooth pain are all sapping my will to live right now and writing has been difficult.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:59 am

Wow rereading my post now and that sounded horribly whiny. Sorry, it was a bad day. :O

I still have one more weekend between now and the deadline that gives me hope of finishing mine. If everyone who's supposed to come to work Saturday will please dear God just come to work, just this once, is it really so hard?? :x
Lumin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Lumin wrote:Wow rereading my post now and that sounded horribly whiny. Sorry, it was a bad day. :O

I still have one more weekend between now and the deadline that gives me hope of finishing mine. If everyone who's supposed to come to work Saturday will please dear God just come to work, just this once, is it really so hard?? :x

Don't worry, Lumin, we've all had days like those. I hope you get your comp entry finished. Mine is, bar the final tweaking.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions