ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Beginner's Game Competition

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: Beginner's Game Competition

Postby David Whyld » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Is the source code necessary? I remember when ralphmerridew wrote jasea for v4, he didn't have the source code but he managed to get things up and running without it.
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm beginning to believe that David and Lazzah has some kind of a hate / love relationship... (this being said with a BIG smile!! rofl )
Can't you just agree to disagree and leave it at that, please? :yeah:

David, go ahead and use V.4. This competition is about promoting IF, not a certain developer / engine. I had actually considered posting this over that the Intfiction.org but never got around to it.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks. I actually started work on a game last week when I saw the comp mentioned. It's quite fun writing with ADRIFT again after all these years.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 pm

jAsea was written without the source to Runner (over the course of two weeks), but there were significant parts that never worked quite the same as Runner.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby saabie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:44 am

Yes, I don't have the original source and I am writing a new runner from scratch.
Ralphmerridew helped a lot to get me started, and working out the rest just involves lots and lots of testing of the ADRIFT runner to see what each individual part of it actually does and then replicating that behavior.
saabie

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:34 pm

David Whyld wrote:Thanks. I actually started work on a game last week when I saw the comp mentioned. It's quite fun writing with ADRIFT again after all these years.

Perhaps you'll get hooked again? :whistle:
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:00 am

saabie wrote:Never say never. I've been working on my own ADRIFT runner on-and-off for the last four months and it is about half finished (388kB of source code) so I should be able to have it fully tested and working well before the end of the year (along with the game I've been working on) :)

First I've heard of this, nice! I'll definitely be checking in to give it a try once it's ready to go. Do you think it may resolve some of the issues with running v4 games, or is that too much to hope for at this point?

Playing a game of yours is something I'd be very interested in as well, afaik we've yet to have one by anyone who understands the program inside and out the way you seem to.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Not saying that the new runner topic isn't interesting (I'll be looking forward to check it out. :yeah: ) but we're slowly moving off topic here. :wink:

Gently pushing us back to the subject of the Beginner's Game Competition I have decided to extend the deadline for the entries to July 31st.
I have done this for purely selfish reason allowing myself to actually put something together...
So if you're in need of time... Breathe freely now... :yeah:
The edited info will be written in the original post.
Po. Prune

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:45 pm

saabie wrote:
David Whyld wrote:I might be more willing to persevere with it if the numerous problems that plague it were likely to be fixed one day, but we both know that's never going to happen. ADRIFT has been in maintenance mode for years now.
Never say never. I've been working on my own ADRIFT runner on-and-off for the last four months and it is about half finished (388kB of source code) so I should be able to have it fully tested and working well before the end of the year (along with the game I've been working on) :)

That sounds great saabie! Not to put any pressure on you :whistle: but i hope you can get the multiple frames/windows working more efficiently eventually after you it off the ground, the current Runner as it is very buggy with window frames and yet its a great feature to use for extra graphics images and stats etc.

Po. Prune wrote:Not saying that the new runner topic isn't interesting (I'll be looking forward to check it out. :yeah: ) but we're slowly moving off topic here. :wink:

Gently pushing us back to the subject of the Beginner's Game Competition I have decided to extend the deadline for the entries to July 31st.
I have done this for purely selfish reason allowing myself to actually put something together...

That's good to hear although i have finished my game somewhat, just need to polish it and finish adding a hint system. Its actually helpful to have limited rooms and a deadline to prevent thinking too big with a project.

How do we usually go about getting someone to play-test a competition game for feedback? often what we think makes sense in descriptions or commands are viewed differently by others or usually is playtesting by others not allowed?
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:59 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Not saying that the new runner topic isn't interesting (I'll be looking forward to check it out. :yeah: ) but we're slowly moving off topic here. :wink:

The forum gets like ten posts a month, we can probably survive this onslaught of off topic-ness. :P

But good to hear, maybe I'll be able to attempt something after all. Trying to make a final push to wrap up a CYOA I've been dragging my feet on far too long this weekend and then maybe I'll take a week to tackle a small IF game.

I've found I work best with bite sized projects, as far as actually completing things goes. Less chance of RL distractions or abrupt and unpredictable losses of interest that way.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:35 pm

So how many were entering this again? How's progress coming along?
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 am

My game is finished. I just need to test it and fix stuff that's broke. Then test it under v5 and fix any other stuff that's broke :(

Does v5 allow multiple commands on the same line yet or do we still need to mess around with macros for that?
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Nice!

Mine is...in the planning phase. >.>

If v5 breaks things, couldn't you package v4 runner with the download? That would be a pretty clear hint for anyone who might grab it at a later time.

Of course probably the biggest factor in beginner friendliness is whether it can be played online, so if I wind up with time to actually test mine, that will be the focus.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Just checking: today's the final day to submit our games, isn't it?
David Whyld

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:10 pm

David Whyld wrote:Just checking: today's the final day to submit our games, isn't it?

Yes it is.

General question:

Where do we upload our game? or do we host it somewhere and provide download link?
DazaKiwi

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions