ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Help with The Tartarus Project

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Help with The Tartarus Project

Postby David Whyld » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:17 pm

I was going to e-mail the author about this game, but I figured I might as well post this request for help here instead. Who knows? It might spark a bit of debate and there's been precious little of that going on here, even in light of the fact that there's been a recent competition.

Needless to say, spoilers follow so if you don't want to be spoiled: stop reading.

Still with me? Good.

I'm inside the building and I've found the laptop. I've tried clicking on the icon but it tells me the code needs to be updated and to contact Michael Peters for assistance. How do I contact him? I can’t find him anywhere in the building and I've had no luck in asking people about him.

In another room, I've opened a window and seen my Double down below but how do I get him to enter the building? I've tried waving and gesturing at him and even going back out and speaking to him, but nothing seems to happen.
David Whyld

Re: Help with The Tartarus Project

Postby Denk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi David,

It seems as if my game isn't as beginner friendly as I thought :nerves:

Spoiler 1 - the laptop:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The logic here is that in your world the Tartarus project is under development, but if you insert the usb key in the usb port (the one you were given at the Golden Cup by your double), the core code will be updated automatically. Now something should happen when you click the icon.

Spoiler 2 - By the window:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Once you have opened the window, try giving an object to your double on the street. You should then get a hint on what he needs. Okay, I might as well tell you that you should give the access card to the double. The intended logic is that you needed the access card yourself when you entered the building and that you couldn't have him following you into the building, since the guard would see you both at the same time. Now you are upstairs, it should be safe for your double to enter.

In case you get stuck right after this, I have added a third spoiler:

Spoiler 3 - What happens next:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
As soon as you have given the access card to your double through the window and leave the window location by going east, your double will enter the building and go up with the elevator. Unfortunately the guard will be suspicious and thus he will come up shortly after. Now it is time to hide. You should specify where, so HIDE IN CUBICLE works.

Hope that helped :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:40 pm

It might be beginner friendly, but David Whyld is no beginner.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby David Whyld » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm

I feel like a beginner at times :)

Okay, stuck again. And I've also remembered this forum has spoiler tags.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I've managed to send my Double to another world and myself to a different one and now I'm locked up in an insane asylum. I've wandered around a load of rooms, spoken to other inmates / patients but not found a way out. I can't open the main doors or smash any of the windows and no one I've spoken to has told me anything useful about escaping. I've also had all my possessions taken off me so I'm not carrying anything I might be able to use to escape. Any hints as to what I do next?
David Whyld

Postby Denk » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Here are some hints on how to escape the asylum:
Subtle hints:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
These actions should provide some clues on where the solution lies:
* Try to examine the window in Anna's room
* Try to ask Anna about the window
* Try to enter Tom's room
* Try TALK TO TOM
* Examine Peter
* Ask Peter about cigarette
* Try to enter Linda's room when she is not around

Step-by-step Solution:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The parking lot is north of the asylum. Thus it would be useful to break a window in the northern rooms. However, the window in Anna's room was replaced with toughened glass after somebody broke it. Tom still has an old window, but you cannot get into his room while he is in the living room. If you talk to him, he will mention that he would like a cigarette. Peter has cigarettes but demands a dollar for one. There is a dollar in Linda's room. If Linda is around, you cannot enter her room, but just wait until she leaves.

So the step by step solution is:
* Go to Linda's room (wait outside her door until she leaves, if she is in there)
* Take the coin (it is a dollar)
* Find Peter (he is usually in the Living room or in the fenced garden - you can wait for him if you like)
* Ask Peter about cigarette
* give coin to peter
* give cigarette to tom
* Enter Tom's room
* close the door
* break the window
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
Denk

Return to Competitions