ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Spring Thing 2018

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Spring Thing 2018

Postby rotter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:57 pm

Is anyone planning to enter a game in this years Spring Thing? I was but the game just isn't ready yet.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Re: Spring Thing 2018

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Sounds more loosely than the IF Comp, so I might give it a go providing I can get my game finished in time.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:39 pm

We need to keep ADRIFT in front of the rest of the world. I will enter Blank Wall at some point but it isn't ready, I concentrated on my I7 game.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
rotter

Postby Lumin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 pm

You guys are going to hate me for this but I was considering entering a CYOA. >.>

I would like to do an ADRIFT game but it really depends on whether I can finish my current CYOA for a romance contest within the week, and then get together a workable concept for an IF game before the end of the month. I've been fiddling with v4 and v5 both but I am WAY rusty at this and can't settle on anything that could be expanded into a proper game.

e: meh, I forgot they changed how the whole thing works. Nobody wins anymore, just pats on the back for participation all around. Boring.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:15 am

I used to have a lot of time for the Spring Thing, but then it turned into the Spring Festival and I lost interest in it. Along with the IFComp, it's a competition which used to be a lot better than it is today.

Saying that, it's a good source for feedback so it might be worth entering even if you don't rate it much as a competition anymore.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:47 am

Lumin wrote:You guys are going to hate me for this but I was considering entering a CYOA. >.>

No, dear Lumin, we're not going to hate you... We already do.. Look at your point score... Need any other reason? :wink:

@Rotter: I agree we need to keep Adrift known out there.
It was pretty discouraging to read under the IF Resources chapter at the Spring Thing:

"Looking for tools to make text games? There are plenty. For parser-style games, try Inform 7, TADS, or Quest.

Noticing anything missing? :cry:

I'm currently working on two games. D-Day, will definitely not be finished in time. My other WIP: Anno 1700 could be a possibility but I'm having problems with one of the rooms, and on top of that, it hasn't been beta tested yet. But I think I'll keep it back and enter next year.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
True North 17Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:22 pm

As David says probably not what it was, but it is like the IFComp loads of people play and give feedback.
rotter

Postby rotter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:25 pm

David Whyld wrote:Along with the IFComp, it's a competition which used to be a lot better than it is today.

I will not hear a bad word about the IFComp, I won money from last years. :D
rotter

Postby Lumin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:37 pm

rotter wrote:
David Whyld wrote:Along with the IFComp, it's a competition which used to be a lot better than it is today.

I will not hear a bad word about the IFComp, I won money from last years. :D

Spring Thing also doesn't give out cash anymore, so there's another mark against it. They should go back to the $7 entry fee and make it a pool for the winner.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Po. Prune wrote:It was pretty discouraging to read under the IF Resources chapter at the Spring Thing:

"Looking for tools to make text games? There are plenty. For parser-style games, try Inform 7, TADS, or Quest.

To be fair, it's been so long since an ADRIFT game made a splash outside of this site, and with future development so hazy, it's not hard to understand why the rest of the IF community might have written off ADRIFT.
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:48 pm

And to add to the above post, it's way back in 2009 - almost a decade ago - that someone entered an ADRIFT game in the Spring Thing, so it's not exactly surprising that ADRIFT isn't mentioned. The Spring Thing organiser might not even be aware there's any life left here.
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:01 am

The Spring Thing 2018 games have been announced.
rotter

Postby rotter » Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Illuminismo Iniziato by Michael J. Coyne has won both the Audience Choice and the Alumni's Choice.
rotter

Return to Competitions