ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Annual IF Comp 2019

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Annual IF Comp 2019

Postby Denk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:05 am

First a reminder: You have until Sunday (1st of September) to declare your intent to enter this year's competition ( https://ifcomp.org/about/schedule ).

How many are we this year? I think we have at least three ADRIFT entries.

I am participating with the old-school adventure "Treasure Hunt in the Amazon".

Who else is participating?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Re: Annual IF Comp 2019

Postby David Whyld » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 am

I was going to, but will have to pass for next year as none of my WiPs are anywhere near being finished.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:44 pm

David Whyld wrote:I was going to, but will have to pass for next year as none of my WiPs are anywhere near being finished.

Same here, I'm afraid. On the bright side I plan/hope to enter two games next year. :D
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:07 pm

I'll be entering Skybreak!, which begins its final round of testing tomorrow.

Skybreak! will be an odd duck as an entry. It is an ADRIFT game but much more like a conventional CYOA (in tone and style it mimics a lot of the old sci-fi CYOAs). I'd like to think it will show off the versatility of the ADRIFT system: ADRIFT's location and variable systems allow for encounters much more complex than typically encountered in a CYOA, for example space battles that proceeds in the same order but have variable difficulty depending on the kind of ship engaged, and recurring events on planets with different outcomes depending on which planet one is on.
The0didactus

Postby Campbell » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks to Denk and TheOdidactus for their entries. I hope everyone gets chance to play, and vote, on them.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:07 am

I also have a game in the comp, THE CALL OF THE SHAMAN. Please play and vote at http://www.ifcomp.org .
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

COMING SOON: Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:31 am

Ah, sorry Lazzah, I hadn't realised. It's listed as a Windows Executable rather than ADRIFT. Thanks to you too then! I wonder if we can get them to link to a blorb so that can be played online also, unless you'd prefer it wasn't?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:33 am

Campbell wrote:Ah, sorry Lazzah, I hadn't realised. It's listed as a Windows Executable rather than ADRIFT. Thanks to you too then! I wonder if we can get them to link to a blorb so that can be played online also, unless you'd prefer it wasn't?

I uploaded the game as a zipped Windows executable file as I wanted as many people to play it as possible and obviously not everyone will have ADRIFT installed on their computers.

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest

Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:46 am

Lazzah wrote:
Campbell wrote:Ah, sorry Lazzah, I hadn't realised. It's listed as a Windows Executable rather than ADRIFT. Thanks to you too then! I wonder if we can get them to link to a blorb so that can be played online also, unless you'd prefer it wasn't?

I uploaded the game as a zipped Windows executable file as I wanted as many people to play it as possible and obviously not everyone will have ADRIFT installed on their computers.

Isn't there an issue about a virus warning if you try running an Adrift .exe file?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:22 pm

P/o Prune wrote:
Lazzah wrote:

Isn't there an issue about a virus warning if you try running an Adrift .exe file?

I think that is if you try to download an executable file, that's why I zipped it up. After I uploaded the game I tested if I could d/l the zipped executable and it was fine.

Lazzah

Postby saabie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:47 am

Some antivirus programs will still delete it when they run a virus scan.
The particularly aggressive ones will delete any .exe that they don't recognize, and the rest don't like the way that ADRIFT packs the game and runner together.
saabie

Postby Denk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:04 pm

Lazzah wrote:I uploaded the game as a zipped Windows executable file as I wanted as many people to play it as possible and obviously not everyone will have ADRIFT installed on their computers.

In addition, wouldn't you like to make the game available for online play? Online play is working now, so you just have to upload your blorb or taf to the ADRIFT site and share the link in you blurb on the ifcomp site. Sharing it on intfiction.org might also be a good idea.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Lumin » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Denk wrote:In addition, wouldn't you like to make the game available for online play? Online play is working now, so you just have to upload your blorb or taf to the ADRIFT site and share the link in you blurb on the ifcomp site. Sharing it on intfiction.org might also be a good idea.

Yes, this is important. Not all players are going to have Windows PCs or even computers at all.

There's also the usual issue with .exes, in that it requires people install an .exe while their antivirus screams at them that it looks dangerous. Yes, most IF players will be used to this, but this also the time of year we get genuinely new people. And players are hard enough to come by that even losing one over something like that is a shame when online play makes it preventable now.
Lumin

Postby rotter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:37 am

Lumin wrote:
Denk wrote:Yes, this is important. Not all players are going to have Windows PCs or even computers at all.

This is spot on, I met a number of the IF big hitters at one of the London get together. Actually one of the meetings was at Emily Shorts house. They do seem to be non-Windows users generally.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Lazzah » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:06 am

I didn't think I could upload the game to the ADRIFT website while the competition is running?

Lazzah

Next

Return to Competitions