ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT competition every year? ADRIFT Award(s)?

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

ADRIFT competition every year? ADRIFT Award(s)?

Postby Denk » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi all,

2019 had 9 new ADRIFT games. That is a lot more than say TADS. And we want them to get played.

I think it would be good with a competition each year, where we vote for the best game of the year plus perhaps a few more categories. You don't need to have played all the games. If you just vote for something you liked, that is fine. And I think we should invite people from intfiction.org in case they liked some of the games, i.e. encourage them to make a profile here and vote. Even if they don't, we might as well have fun with it.

I personally think we could call it e.g. "The 2019 ADRIFT award" (if only one award) or "The 2019 ADRIFT awards" (if there are more categories). It could be held as a poll running from 1st of March to 1st of April this year (covering the previous year, just as the Xyzzy-awards).

I don't think we have anything to lose.

Looking back on some old posts, I found these categories proposed:

* Game of the Year [Denk: should certainly be included]
* Rookie of the Year [Denk: I don't know how to determine a rookie, so perhaps not this category]
* Biggest Contribution to ADRIFT (Outside Writing) [Denk: could include modules and demos]
* Best New Idea [Denk: I don't know what this category includes, so maybe not this category]
* Most Unusual Setting/Plot [Denk: Maybe..]
* Best Implementation (Game) [Denk: I like this category]

But if we only have "Game of the year" that is also fine.

I wouldn't mind organizing it, though P/O Prune or anyone else is welcome to do it if they have the time.

What do the rest of you think?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Re: ADRIFT competition every year? ADRIFT Award(s)?

Postby David Whyld » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 pm

We used to have an ADRIFT Game of the Year a while back, but I think it died out due to lack of participation. When only a handful of game are being released, there's not a lot of competition for best game.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea, though. At best, it might encourage a few more people to write games. At worst, nothing much changes.
David Whyld

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:16 am

Sounds good. So is this a matter of presenting your best game you made during the year or will it be like its starts from A (with theme and must haves as part of the rules given at start date) and you have x amount of time to make?
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:35 pm

I think it should be a poll of the games which were released in 2019. The authors don't have to do anything. The game with most votes is "ADRIFT game of the year 2019". But we could have more categories if people are interested.

I think it could be interesting to give each voter two votes, otherwise, if most people agree on the best game, we cannot see which other games could be interesting.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:35 am

I am setting up a "competition" best Adrift game of 2019.
I will take the uploaded games from the main website and create a poll accordingly.
The Adrift Awards thread will be locked until I have everything in place.
But if you have any idea / suggestions, feel free to post them here.

Prize(s): Should there be more than one? If so, how many?

Problem. What to do if a game is released in a new version? Which version to enter? And what if the latest version is released in 2020 but the original game is released in 2019? :?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:36 am

P/o Prune wrote:I am setting up a "competition" best Adrift game of 2019.
Great!

P/o Prune wrote:But if you have any idea / suggestions, feel free to post them here.
* It might just be me, but I think it could be fun if we give two votes to every voter?
* I have seen that it is possible to set up a competition page (results only?) in the games-section but it hasn't been used while I have been using ADRIFT. Could be fun to use that again.

P/o Prune wrote:Prize(s): Should there be more than one? If so, how many?
I don't think prizes are important but if anyone wants to donate something it is fine with me.

P/o Prune wrote:Problem. What to do if a game is released in a new version? Which version to enter? And what if the latest version is released in 2020 but the original game is released in 2019? :?
Here is what I think, using Skybreak! as an example: The game was published in the 2019 IFcomp so it should be in "best ADRIFT game of 2019", not 2020 even though there has been a later update. It isn't important which version the players have played, I mean, the players should not feel obliged to play an older bugged version before voting (I don't know if Skybreak v.1 was bugged, just using it as an example). Similar to this, "Six Silver Bullets" (sorry The0didactus, your games just happened to be good examples) belonged to 2018 where it was first published, even though it was first uploaded to the ADRIFT in 2019. And "Run, Bronwynn, Run!" wasn't published in 2019 either, only the update, so it shouldn't be included in 2019 either.

If you are in doubt, you could publish the "nominees" here some days before you create the poll, to hear if anyone thinks something is missing from the list or shouldn't be there.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:45 am

I agree that only games first published in a year should be included in the awards for that year. Otherwise you might have games being updated every year which get included, despite the update not changing much.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:04 am

* It might just be me, but I think it could be fun if we give two votes to every voter?
* I have seen that it is possible to set up a competition page (results only?) in the games-section but it hasn't been used while I have been using ADRIFT. Could be fun to use that again.

I have yet to find out how. The way the poll is working, as far as I know. You cast one vote. I assume that you can cast two or even three votes, but that wouldn't really give a correct picture of which game is the best, would it?
I need to find a way so the voter gets, say 10 point to place on the games he likes. For instance 5 on this game, 3 on the other and then 2 on the third, totalling ten points. But so far I haven't found out how to do that.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 am

Instead of a poll, why not just have everyone give a score of 1 - 10 on the games? Polls are way too restrictive.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:32 am

David Whyld wrote:Instead of a poll, why not just have everyone give a score of 1 - 10 on the games? Polls are way too restrictive.

So three votes totalling 10 points? Not bad...
Except that I will have a H*** of a job counting all the votes when the voting is over. :?
But I will change the post... Hold your horses. 8)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:50 am

I just announced the poll on intfiction.org: https://intfiction.org/t/vote-for-adrift-game-of-the-year-award-2019/44386/2

Then I came back and saw your proposals. I did not expect that there would be major changes to the poll but if there is, I can just update my post.

A 1-10 point system only makes sense to me, if it is done like IFcomp, i.e. it is the average score which matters, not the sum of scores. If it is the sum of scores that matters, a game, which 4 people gave 2 points, that would give a total of 8 points. This game would then get a better position than a game one voter gave 7 points. Games which are not given points may be good, the voters just had not time to play them all. And I think that we are far too few voters to calculate a reasonable average score.

I think with very few voters, a poll is better. It isn't perfect but will most likely find the winner and sometimes indicate the runner-ups. I also think that the system should be covered by the website so that the results can be seen immediately. I doubt that the website covers a 1-10 point system, so that would have to be done manually by P/o Prune.

Two votes per voter isn't perfect either, but might be more fun than only one vote where a dominant game may get all the votes. With two votes, there will be more games getting votes, which can be regarded as a sort of feedback, something we don't get much of. After reading the FAQ on the ADRIFT site I understand that it is possible with two votes per voter. But I understand that it might not be easy for the website-administrator to find the setting. Also, if the rest of you think it is a bad idea we shouldn't do that.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Denk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:14 am

I have put the announcement on intfiction.org on hold. When you are certain that the voting system is not going to be changed again, I will announce it on intfiction.org

P/O Prune: It hasn't been stated in the thread that voters should post their votes in the thread. You might want to add that to the first post in the thread.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:45 am

Denk wrote:I have put the announcement on intfiction.org on hold. When you are certain that the voting system is not going to be changed again, I will announce it on intfiction.org

P/O Prune: It hasn't been stated in the thread that voters should post their votes in the thread. You might want to add that to the first post in the thread.

I'm not changing anything :yeah: so go ahead and announce the poll.
I have edited the thread that voting is done by posting in the thread. So that should be taken care of too. (Thanks for bringing it to my attention, by the way)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:55 am

P/o Prune wrote:I'm not changing anything :yeah: so go ahead and announce the poll.
I have edited the thread that voting is done by posting in the thread. So that should be taken care of too. (Thanks for bringing it to my attention, by the way)
Great :bravo:

The announcement on intfiction. org can be found here: https://intfiction.org/t/vote-for-adrift-game-of-the-year-award-2019/44386
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Return to Competitions