ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT Game of the Year Award (2019)

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

ADRIFT Game of the Year Award (2019)

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 am

As mentioned in another thread it's about time that we revive the old ADRIFT GAME OF THE YEAR poll.
2019 was a pretty good year for Adrift with 11 games released and a couple of them even entering the Annual IF Competition :yeah:

The rules for being taken into consideration for the award are simple.

1: The game smust be written using the Adrift Developer (any version will be accepted)

2: Only games uploaded to the main Web Site will be accepted. (I can't chase around the internet trying to dig up every Adrift game.

Each voter has 10 points to share between the games, and you vote by writing a post here casting your points.
When the voting has ended March 31st (give and take a "few" hours, I will tally the votes and announce the winner.

OK, Final change (I hope)
Votes now has to be sent to my PM in order to keep the suspense going :wink:

Of course there must be prizes.
I Will donate 10 £ to the winner, to be paid in either Amazon voucher or paypal (your choice)
Anyone who'd like to donate, pls. send me a PM

Voting starts right away, and will end March 31st.

The games are:

The Dead of Winter.

Magnetic Moon

Skybreak

Treasure Hunt in the Amazon

Starship Quest

The Call of the Shaman

Be There

Revenge of the Space Pirates

Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: ADRIFT Game of the Year Award (2019)

Postby Denk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:47 am

"Run, Bronwynn, Run!" and "Six Silver Bullets" were both published in 2018 so they should be removed from the list. I still think that it would be better with two votes per voter, but that may just be me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:50 am

Denk wrote:"Run, Bronwynn, Run!" and "Six Silver Bullets" were both published in 2018 so they should be removed from the list. I still think that it would be better with two votes per voter, but that may just be me.

They are removed now. Thanks for the heads up.
This is what makes it difficult as they are both listed as uploaded in 2019.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Denk's votes

Postby Denk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:35 am

Edit: Since P/O Prune said we could vote anonymously by sending him a PM, I have decided to PM my votes instead, mainly to avoid influencing other people's votes.
Last edited by Denk on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:21 pm

No private voting allowed? The results won't be much of a surprise if it's public, and I'm wondering if seeing other people's picks won't influence votes.

And okay, everyone be honest, how many of you have even tried out half the games on that list?

I do like seeing this revived, I just hope we see a good amount of participation because otherwise it will be very sad
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Lumin wrote:No private voting allowed? The results won't be much of a surprise if it's public, and I'm wondering if seeing other people's picks won't influence votes.

And okay, everyone be honest, how many of you have even tried out half the games on that list?

I do like seeing this revived, I just hope we see a good amount of participation because otherwise it will be very sad

I thought of that myself.
If you want to cast an anonymous vote feel free to send me a PM. But that means you have to trust me... Dare you? 8)
As for the other quetion. It doesn't matter if you haven't played any of the games. You may still have an opinion which is the best based on the work the author has put in it. The reviews you have read, practically anything that made you think that this game should be awarded this amount of points.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:19 pm

P/o Prune wrote:It doesn't matter if you haven't played any of the games. You may still have an opinion which is the best based on the work the author has put in it. The reviews you have read, practically anything that made you think that this game should be awarded this amount of points.

Am I understanding that right? You want us to vote on games we haven't even played based on an opinion someone else had?

Lumin wrote:No private voting allowed? The results won't be much of a surprise if it's public, and I'm wondering if seeing other people's picks won't influence votes.

That's why I suggested the 1 - 10 voting idea in the other thread. Instead of a public vote which gives away the winner long before the voting period is over, you keep it private with only the organiser knowing who has voted. How people voted can be revealed afterwards provided voters are fine with it.

Lumin wrote:And okay, everyone be honest, how many of you have even tried out half the games on that list?

Honestly, none of them. My new year resolution to actually play some games hasn't quite kicked in yet, but hey it's only February. I still have time.

EDIT: I'm also not too sold on the whole 10 points to distribute between games. If I only play one game, and it's awful, does that mean I have to give it 10 points purely because it's the only one I played?
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:31 pm

Well another reason for private is that authors might genuinely feel their own game is the best, but it looks bad for them to say so. And with authors being a sizeable portion of expected participants I'd not want to discourage them from participating.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:48 pm

I'll continue the voting in this eccentric system, using my own criteria about the general ADRIFT-yness of the game.

adrift Code: Select all

I have removed the votes from this post since the votes are now anonymous.
I have sent a PM to The0didactus
The0didactus

Postby rotter » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Is it only games on the main site? This list doesn't include all the ADRIFT games entered into the AdventureJam 2019. There is also at least one AIF I'm aware of.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Denk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:10 pm

P/o Prune wrote:If you want to cast an anonymous vote feel free to send me a PM.

That's good. I think it would be good to mention this in the first post, as the link from intfiction.org points at the first post in this thread. Many people may only vote if they can vote anonymously.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Denk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:25 pm

David Whyld wrote:Am I understanding that right? You want us to vote on games we haven't even played based on an opinion someone else had?
I agree with David here. You should have tried the game you are voting for. But if you only played one and liked it, it should be fine to vote. No system is perfect anyway.

David Whyld wrote:Instead of a public vote which gives away the winner long before the voting period is over, you keep it private with only the organiser knowing who has voted. How people voted can be revealed afterwards provided voters are fine with it.
As P/O Prune mentioned later, we can vote anonymously by sending him a PM. It should be mentioned in the first post though. I will do that and edit my post with votes, just so my votes do not influence how other people are voting.

David Whyld wrote:EDIT: I'm also not too sold on the whole 10 points to distribute between games. If I only play one game, and it's awful, does that mean I have to give it 10 points purely because it's the only one I played?
I think David has got a good point here. Perhaps it should be clarified that you do not need to use all 10 points? And next year we should perhaps discuss the voting system thoroughly before opening for votes.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 am

]Am I understanding that right? You want us to vote on games we haven't even played based on an opinion someone else had?

This probably didn't come out the way I intended- I was thinking in the terms of the Oscar rewards where you have rewards for all kinds of categories.
In this case I tried to put it all together. Adrift is a small open community where we all know each other pretty well. If you know (from the WIP thread, for instance) that an author has put a lot of work into his/her game, or you like the story ... anything. Then by all means give it a vote.

I'm also not too sold on the whole 10 points to distribute between games. If I only play one game, and it's awful, does that mean I have to give it 10 points purely because it's the only one I played?

You don't have to use all the points. If you have only played one game and you think it sucks, give it a 1, or no points at all.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:14 am

rotter wrote:Is it only games on the main site? This list doesn't include all the ADRIFT games entered into the AdventureJam 2019. There is also at least one AIF I'm aware of.

Yes, only the games on the main site. I wish I could include all Adrift games (including AIF), but I haven't got the time to fart around the internet hunting down games. I'm alone in doing this, besides taking care of my job, my dog, (not to mention that my wife whom, for some unexplained reason expects to see my face once in a while) my house (and garden) plus about a million other things. :?
I'm working on a schedule for next years award and I'll see what I can do.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:30 am

P/o Prune wrote:This probably didn't come out the way I intended- I was thinking in the terms of the Oscar rewards where you have rewards for all kinds of categories.
In this case I tried to put it all together. Adrift is a small open community where we all know each other pretty well. If you know (from the WIP thread, for instance) that an author has put a lot of work into his/her game, or you like the story ... anything. Then by all means give it a vote.

It was the voting for games you haven't played bit that I was taking issue with. Now, I've never voted in the Oscars but I can't even begin to imagine the unholy shitstorm that would be kicked up if a film won an Oscar and then one of the voters admitted he hadn't actually seen it but it looked like they'd put a lot of effort into it, and some guy in the local pub said it was good, so that's why it got his vote.

ADRIFT is hardly the Oscars but, realistically, the amount of effort someone has put into a game has nothing to do with how good it is. You could spend years working on a game and it could still be a stinker, or only a day and everyone loves it. And what if you haven't announced your game and talked about it at length on the forum? You're at a disadvantage right there because no one would know how much effort you'd made.

P/o Prune wrote:You don't have to use all the points. If you have only played one game and you think it sucks, give it a 1, or no points at all.

Okay, that's fair enough. Still not 100% sure about it, though. It seems to me that this system favours people who play very few games. As an example:

Denk's played most of the games so he can't give many points to each, in fact the most he's given is 2 points. On the other hand, I haven't played any. If I play one game, that means I can give 10 points to that game if I want. By playing far less games than Denk, my vote counts for far more than his does. If everyone else played all the games and I only played one, my vote would pretty much guarantee that whoever I voted for would win.
David Whyld

Next

Return to Competitions