ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Time for a GameJam anyone?

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Do you want a set random words to be added to the Jam?

YES
No votes
NO
100%

Total votes : 1

Time for a GameJam anyone?

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:15 am

Is anyone keen on doing our own weekend gamejam? since some or most of us? are stay-at-home situation perhaps an Adrift GameJam is in order?

I propose an idea of having 3 or 4 words each game must have and be important to the game/story rather than for example; lets say one of the words is banana and its just a prop in a fruit bowl with no purpose. Whereby it would be better the banana could be used as a fake gun or perhaps eaten and the skin used in a puzzle to trip up a guard etc.

Anyway there is a website we can use to generate some random words, i will give the link (http://creativitygames.net/random-word-generator/randomwords/5) but it will select a different list each time you view it/refresh. So either we could all generate a set and paste one list we think would be interesting in this thread (you only get one list to suggest) and we vote by poll which I can set up later. Once a list of random words is voted/Chosen. We can begin to do the planning phase on paper or whatever, before the actual Jam starts.

We could additionally vote for a genre as well or I can use a custom list generator like this one https://www.textfixer.com/tools/random-choice.php.
Having a genre or theme can make it more fun as well in seeing what others come up with using the same constraints. If its a genre you are not so keen on, then that is part of the creative challenge to put a spin on it. Use humor. What hasn't been done before in that genre.

Vote will be if people like the idea of some random words that have to be used in the game.

The Jam could start Saturday 18th and finish 19th Midnight Sunday your time (i moved it as Easter is this weekend coming).

Judging could be done by our community and the criteria could be how well the words are used in the game; (Fitting the words), as well as (Creativity), (Fun factor), scoring 1-5 for each category.

What say you? Any thoughts/questions or suggestions to add?

Are you interested in participating...?
Last edited by DazaKiwi on Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DazaKiwi

Re: Time for a GameJam anyone?

Postby Lumin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:19 pm

I like the idea of a two day jam whether it's a weekend or not, but I think if you want there to be a list of important objects or words included you should just pick them yourself. So instead of randomness and dragging something that's not really all that important out in a vote we'll just go with a few things you think could be a cool or interesting addition to a game.

But also as far as timing goes, just pointing out that the weekend you've selected is Easter. I'm sure the virus situation is putting a damper on a lot of plans, but it may still be a busier time than usual for some people.
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:06 pm

Well the idea of randomness adds to the challenge of how to wrap a game or story around it and what others did differently facing the same challenge. I personally think its more interesting to see what others come up with rather than there be no challenge at all. Perhaps with some might struggle with finding ideas to make use of random words in their game and thus it will be less appealing to them to join. Okay maybe only have 2 random words to make it easier? And put aside the idea of a fixed genre.

I forgot it was easter this weekend, so maybe make the comp the following weekend, but Drifters could make a note of interest in joining this Jam in this thread and can start planning. I will change the poll to vote for having some random words we have to have in the game idea if majority votes no then it will just be a plain make what you want without restrictions unless someone else has an idea to make it more interesting? such as having a set time period or ? what do you guys suggest?
DazaKiwi

Postby The0didactus » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:20 pm

If you can delay it past this weekend, I will GLADLY participate.
The0didactus

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:10 pm

The0didactus wrote:If you can delay it past this weekend, I will GLADLY participate.

Yes i changed my OP and its set to 18th and 19th April. Any thoughts and suggestions on rules Theo as far as having a topic or should it be whatever you want to make? it seems my random word idea isn't a hit.
DazaKiwi

Postby The0didactus » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:25 pm

I suggest a concrete theme, tangentially but not explicitly related to the current situation. Some options
* "Virus"
* Single Room
* The setting must be wherever you live (house, apartment etc)

I like this one because "my apartment" games traditionally suck. Why not make some good ones?

The most important thing I think, is that the theme is picked by you, the organizer. I also generally think these things are more fun if there is a theme rather than "do anything"
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:44 pm

The idea of a 'my house/ my apartment' game actually is kind of amusing given how many of us are stuck in those right now.

But yes I think a theme that's just selected by Daza is for the best. Same way I felt about the random words, I don't see any real reason to complicate what's meant to be a simple just for fun thing with everyone picking their own first and voting etc.
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:18 pm

Okay what about this; the theme is "Escape". You can use what setting and genre you want. Perhaps one rule could be the game is to be a narrative one, rather than like the usual escape room type game, where you have solve a puzzle or two in order to get out etc. I think it would be more interesting if it was more story driven rather solely relying on puzzles (although you could have a puzzle in the game if you want to) but so long as the there is a narrative story connected to it.

What do you guys think?
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:25 pm

I like it, but then I'm very biased towards story driven things.
Lumin

Return to Competitions