ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

IF Stay at Home = GameJam

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

IF Stay at Home = GameJam

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:08 am

Announcing the IF Stay at Home = GameJam

The theme is: Escape

The weekend Jam begins on Saturday 18th of April until Sunday 19th Midnight- whenever its the case for you where ever you are in the world time wise.

You can use any genre or setting.

Main Rule; the game is to be a narrative one, rather than like the usual escape room type of game that often is associated with an IF game where you have solve a puzzle or two in order to escape. In saying that, if you *really* do want to use a puzzle you can do so, so long as the there is a narrative story connected to it.

Judging will be done by all players and Adrift star rating system will be used. When you upload your game to the Adrift games page http://www.adrift.co/games add at the end of your game title when entering the details on the webpage (with a space) #GameJam420
This will make it easier for players/judges to know which game is for the Jam, the 420 bit just denotes April 2020.

You can begin planning your game now outside of the Adrift developer, this will include looking for any music or images (creating art yourself) you want to include, drawing a map etc.
In case you are wondering, you can do the writing side of your game outside of Adrift pre-Jam, often a first draft gets altered come to using it anyway.

Only on Saturday your time or technically Friday Midnight your time if you are a night owl you can begin working on it in earnest.
Last edited by DazaKiwi on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DazaKiwi

Re: IF Stay at Home = GameJam

Postby Lumin » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Well you already know I'm interested, and I hope at least one of newbies I'm rounding up for this will come through.

And I appreciate the flexibility on what counts as a weekend. I'm used to getting gyped of six hours every time we have a contest here because of the rest of you and the force of your shared delusions that your time zones are real. (They can't possibly be.)
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:35 pm

I'm in! I love the idea of a *narrative* contest built around the theme of escape. Certainly gives us something to think about
The0didactus

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:25 am

Just added the OP the requirement to add a hashtag when uploading the game to the Adrift Games page and entering in the details there. This will make finding the games easier for players when its time to upload them.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:47 am

I wonder if Daza understands how much more appealing he just made this to younger audiences by adding hashtag '420' ?
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:33 am

Getting pretty excited about this, guys. We've got two newbies making the attempt, and Daza and Theo have both got what sounds like pretty significant games in the works already.
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:33 am

Due to demand from others i am increasing the GameJam for another 24 hours. So from whenever the deadline was for you +24 hours. Also another day to fix bugs, but you cannot add anymore content. You can edit some lines written text etc, but mostly this is to make a game more playable than otherwise because of the limited testing one can do during the Jam itself.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:37 am

Officer, I swear I had nothing to do with this, I just noticed the two CYS newbs has broken into Daza's apartment and were dangling him out the window by his ankles and I uh stepped out into the hall because I had an important phone call or something. There was some shouting but I didn't hear anything about demands for an extension, I just wasn't really paying attention, you know.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:40 am

Lumin wrote:Officer, I swear I had nothing to do with this, I just noticed the two CYS newbs has broken into Daza's apartment and were dangling him out the window by his ankles and I uh stepped out into the hall because I had an important phone call or something. There was some shouting but I didn't hear anything about demands for an extension, I just wasn't really paying attention, you know.

I hope you realize that you're not getting any points for this pathetic explanation? 8)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:58 pm

I've completed my game
http://www.adrift.co/game/1544

While it is escape-themed, I made the decision to focus on a different sort of escape.

Walpurgus Night, 1951: Duncan MacDevon's manor near Chillingham Castle has played host to numerous dilettantes and eccentrics over the years...but none quite like tonight. On this historic evening, the occultists Graves, Corely, and Clark have summoned up something...horrible...in the manor tower. An ancient evil has escaped! Now cooks and constables, occultists and heiresses, servants and sorcerers must band together to stop it before it leaves the manor grounds and consumes the planet.

Will our heroes succeed, or will they succumb to gibbering terror and soul-rending madness? Honestly, you're hoping for the latter. In this game, you don't play the hero. You play the elder thing they've called up.

...happy hunting!
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:03 pm

It's almost like summoning demons is a dangerous thing to do.
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:54 am

I haven't completed my game- but I came close (I guess i was not as close as i thought last time- due to demand it was extended further) . I had fun making it and learnt somethings with regards to doing a more CYOA focused game. And i plan to keep this project active.

http://www.adrift.co/game/1545
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:59 am

Well here's mine.

I'll do a post comp release to polish it up a bit, assuming I can ever bear to look at the thing again.

http://www.adrift.co/cgi/download.cgi?1547

If you are connected to the internet while playing, you will get the pretty pictures. I put them all in with HTML tags because I was too made at ADRIFT's refusal to center anything even with the 'center image' mode set.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:27 pm

Suggested colors for background and text, if anybody bother's playing mine:

I didn't have time to figure out how to set this for the player or how to do anything with images. Even just as HTML links images will sometimes randomly get stuck in the side window and I don't know how to fix it.

I think I'm remembering now why I stopped doing contests lol, I was losing my mind yesterday for the sake of a broken game that looks like eye searing vomit and is actively unfun to play. I'll be taking it down as soon as the voting is done with until I can stand to look at it again and get it in any kind of a playable state.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:15 am

Two things.
1: Checking the Adrift Website I can only find two games: I summon thee, and Dreamspun. Is that the only games entered in the comp?
2: What is the deadline for evaluating the games?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Next

Return to Competitions