ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

IF Stay at Home = GameJam

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: IF Stay at Home = GameJam

Postby Lumin » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:24 pm

I had the same question, you just have to change the filter to All, since Daza has his listed as a demo.

I'm not sure about the deadline yet, but I'll be ready to vote by the end of the weekend.
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Yeah i choose incomplete as the category filter rather than complete because i didnt quite finish my entry, but there is still a story there. Ideally the games page should by default be set to ALL i think, is that possible Prune? and then the user can choose the filter if they want to.
DazaKiwi

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 am

DazaKiwi wrote: Ideally the games page should by default be set to ALL i think, is that possible Prune? and then the user can choose the filter if they want to.

I have no control over the official Adrift website, unfortunately. I went to check and apparently the filter is set to blank by default.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:10 pm

Voting: Deadline is on the 4th May. Open to all who played the games. You don't have to leave a review if you do not feel like writing one but just vote instead if you like.
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Fri May 01, 2020 1:28 pm

I don't have a problem with the rating system (5 stars is similar to the 10 point system except a factor 2) but I think it is a problem that you cannot rate the games anonymously. I can only speak for myself but since no one has rated any of the games so far, that could be the reason. The games have been downloaded several times. For instance, if I (or someone else) rate some or all the games, I (or someone else) might end up as the only one rating the games. I wouldn't like to be 100% responsible for who wins and if I was, I would like to be anonymous. If not, I would feel I would have to explain my ratings. I think it is pretty hard to rate speed-IF since they are usually either full of bugs or very short. Still, it can be fun to play them but I wouldn't like to defend my ratings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri May 01, 2020 10:02 pm

You make a good point Denk. I think only Campbell could do that as he owns the forum, it it is possible to allow for anonymous voting. I think such a system might get more people reviewing a game in this way if they don't want to explain their vote for being very low or very high, and as you say especially for speed-IF games. Perhaps people would be more honest about a game if they can post a review anonymously. Personally i think knowing the criticisms of your game is valuable feedback, so long as its constructive in way how it could be improved and not just 'it sucks' or 'i hated it'. But on the other side of the coin people can take criticisms too personally and stop creating new content.

The only alternative i can think of is creating another post with a Poll and people can vote this way- of course you cant give a rating and it forces only 1 vote. But at the end of the day, the reason for the GameJam wasn't for a clear winner but for people to have an excuse to make a game over the weekend and have fun doing so, I suppose 3 entries is better than none but had hoped more people joined in. And I think a short deadline game jam teaches you lessons you don't otherwise learn when you have all the time in the world to make a game.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 am

tbh I feel a bit weird voting when I have a game in this and there's only three games anyway, I'd rather just focus on playing and giving feedback. But then in my mind there's a big difference in a jam versus a contest so that's another factor. I consider this one a success just because it got people writing games, and we've had a lot of good discussion in the Discord through the whole process which is just icing.

If anonymity is really wanted, maybe send votes to Po Prune or someone? That's an extra hurdle for anyone without a forum account that might play these...but let's be honest, do those people exist?
Lumin

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun May 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Yes you are right Lumin, a big difference between a contest where there is more time to finish a game and have it playtested, major bugs fixed etc and a quick Jam. So I think we can remove the voting part. This is my first organized gamejam and in future if i hold one again will also do away with voting and instead just giving feedback which is more important to improve anyway, without constructive criticism you can't really get better and perhaps that is a strong point to have game jams more regularly than only once a year. You are more likely to get a short game played with feedback then make an epic game that takes a long time to make (if it isn't abandoned) and the criticisms you receive from that might mean a complete rewrite of that epic or at least developing bad habits over that period with no correction. A Gamejam offers more regular constructive criticism and trying out new ideas, more chance to finish a game (if you can scale down your idea). So this is why i think more Drifters should take part, and it can be a break from their main project or if learning how to use Adrift a chance to try something different (maybe ask for help) and since there is no winner or top 3 there is no sense of failure or wasting ones time.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Mon May 04, 2020 11:52 am

Agreed that I like to see a few more these throughout the year. Two days was cutting it a little short, but the extension to three days was just about perfect. It doesn't take you away from a larger project or take up too much time, and you still get that "actually finished a game" high even for a small one.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Tue May 05, 2020 9:50 pm

I've posted little reviews of both other games in the comp. I'm really glad this happened, nice job everyone! Hopefully I'll get to do something like this again in the future.

ADDENDUM: In terms of length of time, I also agree that three days is perfect. 3 8-hour workdays is enough time for a pretty biggish small game. It is a short enough time that things are exciting but a long enough length of time that I don't feel frazzled and can kill time adding cute little details to the game, etc.
The0didactus

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed May 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks for your review and feedback on my game entry Theo. The .."oscillates between the 2nd person ("You look up and see") and the 3rd person ("Ralph's face is greeted...") was due to in the beginning it was going to be just YOU but then i decided to make it about a Character's point of view and also with their own thoughts. So some of these lines where it says You was ones that i missed when changing it. I will have to be careful with tenses, there might be the odd one out of place but this is what happens when you use first draft writing in a short jam.

Admittedly the game ended up being a little too big for a short gameJam (in my head at the time it didn't lol) and one part of the game where i had to tie up several threads took ages to get working properly and wasted time and even then still broke if the player didn't finish the intro part of the game properly (i've since fixed that, but haven't uploaded it yet, still have a couple of other bugs to fix).

But I plan to continue with the game, flesh it out more, add more characters/locations and side stories etc, with first fixing up the writing as mentioned and other minor bugs.
DazaKiwi

Postby P/o Prune » Fri May 08, 2020 8:08 am

The0didactus wrote:I've posted little reviews of both other games in the comp.

I checked the reviews but could only find one. (Dreamspun)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Fri May 08, 2020 8:09 am

DazaKiwi wrote:Voting: Deadline is on the 4th May. Open to all who played the games. You don't have to leave a review if you do not feel like writing one but just vote instead if you like.

May 8th today … Any results out? 8)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Competitions