ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

IFComp 2011

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: IFComp 2011

Postby David Whyld » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:56 pm

So with the deadline for submitting an intent to enter up in 2 days (1st September), how many ADRIFT games can we expect this year?
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:12 pm

I have entered my intend to enter the comp. And I believe that Pkhp is entering too. With your game, David , that should give at least three Adrift games this year which isn't alll that bad...
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby phkb » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:19 am

Yep, I'm in. Registered, and doing final cleanup on my entry as we speak (or type, whatever).
Hey - on the IFComp author site, when you register your game, it asks you about online play:
(*) Online play of this game is hosted on the competition site
( ) Hosted at this url:
( ) Online play of this game is disabled

(Note: the first option is ticked by default)
For us ADRIFT authors, online play is obviously restricted to using the SCARE interface (well, those of us still using v4, that is). I've got my game working pretty well with SCARE, but I'm not sure I'd like the default method of play to be Online. What have other ADRIFT IFComp authors done in the past? Disabled this option? Or let it run online in SCARE? What if you have additional stuff in your game package (eg hint files, walkthroughs, maps)?
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby phkb » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:21 am

Did David actually say he was submitting a game? I thought revgiblet was submitting one.
phkb

Postby David Whyld » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:59 am

Yes, I've submitted one.
David Whyld

Postby phkb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:10 pm

*Gasps* Really! Wow! I thought you'd hung up your IF hat! So, a v4 or v5 game? No, let me guess - you're going Inform7, right?
phkb

Postby David Whyld » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:20 pm

ADRIFT 4 of course. In Mr T voice: "Ah pity the fool who enters a game in the IFComp with beta sofware". :)
David Whyld

Postby BlueMaxima » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:57 am

"Ah pity the fool who didn't laugh at that."
BlueMaxima

Postby revgiblet » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:21 am

I've had some computer troubles, and I won't be entering the IF Comp this year. When I've managed to debug my effort I'll pop it up on this site and leave it at that.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby sevhan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 pm

phkb wrote:For us ADRIFT authors, online play is obviously restricted to using the SCARE interface (well, those of us still using v4, that is). I've got my game working pretty well with SCARE, but I'm not sure I'd like the default method of play to be Online. What have other ADRIFT IFComp authors done in the past? Disabled this option? Or let it run online in SCARE? What if you have additional stuff in your game package (eg hint files, walkthroughs, maps)?

I haven't entered an ADRIFT game before, but I was in the comp last year, and I didn't perceive any bias at all against games that can't be played online. (The game that came 2nd last year was one of 'em.)

This is how I'd look at it, though - if you give an online play option for your game, it will be viewed by some players as the default method of play, and those people will choose it over offline. Therefore if your online delivery method leaves something to be desired, I'd disable it and make sure people play your game in its ideal venue offline.

Feelies is the other reason. If you suspect people may be lazy and not go through your feelies (if you included some) if they can click a link and get the game in a window immediately, I'd respect that fear and again force them to go offline to increase chances of feelie engagement ;)
sevhan

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Just to let you know that I plan on entering the IF Comp 2011 with "Return to Camelot" or "RtC" for short.
I managed to correct all the findings (thank you phkb ... the 134 page transcript had me working all night :P ) and I've made a few changes.
I'm planning on using this week to play through it a few times and then submit it to the comp. on Saturday.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby rotter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Just to let you know that I plan on entering the IF Comp 2011 with "Return to Camelot" or "RtC" for short.

Good luck, it will be great to see some ADRIFT games in the comp this year.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Previous

Return to Competitions