ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Challenge - Competition

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Postby MikeDesert » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:40 am

naw, I like the pressure! I can't wait to play everyone's games...I hope there's at least a small bath of them! :D

eta- batch*...how would one bathe in text adventures?

Edited By MikeDesert on 1303134475
Last place winner of Adrift 2011 Ectocomp
MikeDesert

Postby MikeDesert » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:41 am

that emotocon looked happier than I meant it to...
MikeDesert

Postby DCBSupafly » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:33 pm

If you ask nicely maybe Po Prune will send you some meth..?

Regarding the 5 essential objects. My game has five unique objects that are required to win, but there are a slew of other objects around, and you must have some of them to win, but none is essential. in other words:

to win you need
1) object A, B or C
2) object D

so A, B, C are non-essential
D is essential

I see this is not exactly what you intended. Is this going to disqualify me? I could table it and pump out something else with all the meth I've got laying around.
DCBSupafly

Postby MikeDesert » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:53 pm

I didn't fully understand that either. I'm trying to make it so that the player has to have found/be holding 5 certain objects to get the winning ending...but there's other "essential" objects you need to find to get at the other essential objects....
I'm sure there will be something I did wrong to get me disqualified in any case!
MikeDesert

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Aren't the rules for this comp a little on the vague side? So far we've had people questioning the number of rooms required, what constitutes an item that's necessary to complete the game, how many endings are needed, etc, etc. With the deadline fast approaching, entrants aren't even sure if their game will qualify or not. If this happened with the IFComp, no one would bother entering it.

Wouldn't a competition with straightforward rules be better? Rules that people can look at and think “yes, that's okay” and not leaving them scratching their heads and trying to determine whether their game will even be allowed entry.

I’d also query just why so many of the rules are even in place. It must be an 8 room game. You need 5 objects in the game that are necessary for completion. There must be 3 ways the game can end. Are these rules in place to make the games better or simply for the sake of having complicated rules?

Maybe I'm not the best one to say all the above as I haven't written an ADRIFT game in 3 years and never had any intention to enter this comp in the first place, but if I *was* planning on entering, the rules would put me right off.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Humbug time! Arbitrary restrictions I don't mind (veteran 'DRIFTers could probably pound out a game to meet this comp's requirements in, like, an hour or two), but I'm definitely in agreement with David on this one with regards to the vagueness of the rules.

Also, David, you'll notice it's 3 ways to die, with 2 endings... I'm sort of curious about what the obsession with death is. Isn't that generally one of the least fun parts of playing IF? Especially when dying as defined in ADRIFT means the game ends and you have to restart without the option to just undo your last action.

Other than that, it looks like it's 8 rooms, 5 or more objects, 3 NPCs, and a secret passage somewhere, somehow. If I had one gripe about The Challenge, it wouldn't be the arbitrary nature of the constraints. It would be that it has no aesthetic goal.
Duncan_B

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:15 pm

Hm... after my last post, I've decided I can't pass up the opportunity for a shot at $50 for an hour's worth of work. I have submitted an entry that acknowledges the arbitrary nature of the competition's constraints, and fits them with a "game" just as arbitrary.

Good luck to all the other contestants.
Duncan_B

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm sorry I wasn't aware that the rules were so unclear to some people. I guess it' all depends on the eye that sees. It seemed pretty logic to me when I thought them up. :p

8 Rooms …. (well that should be clear enough)
1 Secret passage (I guess that should cause the biggest headache either)
3 ways of dying.. (well, this one I can kind of understand. But I thought it was obvious that an ending to a game is when you complete it, and not because you get killed in the process. Unless of course dying is the goal of the game)
2 Endings. (Should be self explanatory … Two ways to successfully completing the game)
3 Active NPC's (the NPC must take active part in the game. A person you meet who has information, or performing an action either helping or hindering you in progressing.
5 Essential objects. Here I am thinking of objects which without them the player will not be able to complete the game.

I hope this makes things a little clearer.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 pm

The "5 essential objects" clause is still pretty vague. Seems like it could get pretty complex. Like, if I use one of two objects, each to get a different ending, do they each count as one object because they're unique to a particular transcript, or do I count them both as essential, but just for different endings?
Duncan_B

Postby MikeDesert » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Well, right now I have 41 objects in the game. 14 of them can be picked up by the player... so far 2 of them are going to be going toward the 5 objects you need to win the good ending, but the other 12 objects are needed to get to either end of the game or make progress....
Hoping to finish this tonight, then go back in over the next couple days and make my writing more better.

there's still one major bug in my game I gotta sort out too
MikeDesert

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:28 am

Duncan_B wrote:The "5 essential objects" clause is still pretty vague. Seems like it could get pretty complex. Like, if I use one of two objects, each to get a different ending, do they each count as one object because they're unique to a particular transcript, or do I count them both as essential, but just for different endings?

They each count as one object...
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby MikeDesert » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:56 am

Martini and ADRIFT and finishing!
MikeDesert

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:01 am

MikeDesert wrote:Martini and ADRIFT and finishing!

What a great cocktail :D
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DCBSupafly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Well I actually really like the rules, and I was pretty sure I understood them too. A lot of the dialogue made me realize that I'm probably bending the 5 essential objects rule, but I'll go ahead and get it in in time regardless. If it doesn't qualify, then at least I made it! That's the goal of the competition in the end anyway isn't it?
DCBSupafly

Postby Hensman Int'l » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:39 am

:( Any chance of extending the deadline to the end of the month instead? With Easter this weekend, a hectic work week, fiscal end-of-year (tax time), and other unexpected priorities, I haven't had much time to work on my game - and I want too! :crys:
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions