The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Postby KFAdrift » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:28 am

Discuss all aspects of this game here
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:12 pm

I would like to discuss the meaning of the title. I've completed the game and I still don't know what it refers to.

Any thoughts?

Until convinced otherwise I think I'll stick with my original interpretation of 'the exclamation one makes upon successfully completing and uploading a text adventure'

Alternately it kind of reminds me of the sound a really happy basset hound might make. :)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Hensman Int'l » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:50 am

Not a spoiler, but have you:

ask villagers about where i am
:cool:

There are also many ways to "complete" the game. (After the end of the competition I'll post some alternate walkthru's.)

Edited By Hensman Int'l on 1281333224
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 pm

ask villagers about where i am

How is a player supposed to figure out that command? I don't mean that as a condemnation, per se, but as a question to think about.
Duncan_B

Postby Hensman Int'l » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Thank you all for trying out my game!

I would like to know how youse players proceeded to complete the game. Did you need to use the walkthru, or did you try the different possibilities? Did anyone get the "bonus" ending?

Edited By Hensman Int'l on 1282491239
Hensman Int'l

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:06 am

Well, I played through using just my noggin for the initial parts. A PM to you brought the readme message to my attention, which was very helpful in learning some commands for the game. I wished it had been integrated into the game file itself, though, as the download link on the webpage included only the game file so I could see how some people might download it and get confused pretty quickly.

The map helped a bit, especially in grabbing all those gems. Eventually, I had to turn to the walkthrough, though. Most of my turns to the walkthrough had to do with some specific phrasing (like how you had to get into the canoe), especially NPC interaction. If there's to be another release to the game and I could only suggest one change, refining the NPC interaction to make it more accessible would be it.

Um, I don't know if I got the bonus ending or not... but I'm guessing it's one of those things where I'd know if I got it, 'ey?
Duncan_B

Postby Hensman Int'l » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:21 am

:( To all, I apologize for the README not being in the original release – it should have shown up shortly after I sent Duncan the file.

I do want to fine-tune the game and all input would be appreciated (maybe not liked, but appreciated). The idea of including the map was not to “make things easy”, but like the Infocom games of old, having “feelies”. I'm working on a "Hint book" similar to ZORK era which includes, "Did you try ..." for the fun of it. I will zip all together when the final revision is complete.

For example, did you try to...
- ignore the wizard and go off on your own.
- kill the wizard another way.
- kill the warlock. (one way is an early death!)
- kiss the warlock.
- drift down the river and look around.

:cool:

On the other hand...

Duncan - fire me a PM of all your specific phrasing issues you had and what about the NPC interactions did or did not work for you. Details like that will help me refine the game.

Any one else - please PM me with specific parsing problems you saw and suggestions.
Hensman Int'l

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:19 am

fire me a PM of all your specific phrasing issues you had and what about the NPC interactions did or did not work for you. Details like that will help me refine the game.

Unfortunately, I did not think to make a transcript of my playthrough, but I can try another without the walkthrough and we'll see what we come up with.
Duncan_B

Return to Competitions