2 - If anything I was put of from trying the full version
No votes
1 - Run a mile if this ever becomes a full game
No votes

Total votes : 6

Postby KFAdrift » Sun May 31, 2009 1:57 pm

JUDGING "Dead Race" by Justahack

INTROCOMP AIM
The challenge is to come up with a brilliant beginning to an Adrift game that is in a working playable form. This must really make the player want to actually continue with the rest of the game, if it existed. So, it is a competition for games that are just an introduction using no more than 3 locations and is all about good writing rather than loads of actions/puzzles.

JUDGING
Judges should play the games from the zip file located at The Adventure Demos section on the Adrift site and then mark them in the poll for that game. Be careful not to get it wrong as you cannot take a vote back. Entries should be judged on the basis of how much they draw you into wanting to play the full game, but the mark should also reflect how well you believe the game fits in with the spirit and rules of the event.

Judging ends in two weeks at 5PM BST on Sunday 14th June 2009 after which the winner will be acclaimed based on the aggregate of votes cast in the game poll.

Edited By KFAdrift on 1243886813
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Sun May 31, 2009 5:03 pm

Seems to be some unimplementation issues (esp. with items in bold in room descriptions)... are these going to affect my ability to complete the intro? I also can't seem to get the first text message. How will I know when I've completed it?
Duncan_B

Postby justahack » Sun May 31, 2009 7:13 pm

Hello :D

I'm running Dead Space again and I don't see anything wrong with the bolded words in room descriptions. I only meant the bolded words as things which the player can "look at" so that they can get a little more detail about the thing they're looking at.

So for example, there are some magazines in the living room (starting room also) and as well the word is bolded. You can type "look at magazines" to get a bit more detail about them. I also allowed for the "look magazines" in case people don't like using prepositions. :D

There are two incoming text messages, and you can retrieve the first one by typing "check text one" provided your phone actually receives the first text. Both texts are designed to get sent after a certain number of turns.

You'll know when you're done "receiving" a text message as at the end of every text, your character will attempt to text back the person but will find no signal available.

I hope that helps, if there's anything else that's unclear feel free to add it to this thread :D
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Duncan_B » Sun May 31, 2009 7:42 pm

Aha! By force of habit, I tend to use "x" as a shortcut for examine, rather than "look"... also it looks like the first text message can be received from any room, but only answered in the living room.
Duncan_B

Postby justahack » Sun May 31, 2009 11:59 pm

Ahh, I shall remember that for when I handle tasks in the future regarding examining objects. I'll have to read a little more into the use of { } in the task names :D
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:04 pm

The best way to get around the problem is to create an actual object for everything you want to describe.

...I'm sure someone will be by shortly to offer a differing opinion on that, but that's how I would do it, anyway.
Duncan_B

Postby alsnpk » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:54 pm

I would've had the same problem with the objects if I hadn't read this thread first. Good thing I had.

Hmm, I agree about implementing all of the objects by actually having all of the objects in the Generator, though if you want to handle objects differently than is standard, I can see why you'd use tasks instead... Otherwise, static and dynamic objects work pretty well for most things.

This game did make me want to escape the zombies! :)
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby justahack » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 am

Mm, that is a good tip which I will utilize more in the future. I've still got more to learn with Adrift, of course. Looking back at my entry I did a poor job of trying to impart a sense of urgency for the player, that they either had to save their girlfriend or their best friend. That, doing both was not possible given time constraints. Oh well hehe.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby madquest8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Dead Race
Couldn't x any objects, despite them being highlighted? If you don't want people to waste time looking at uncoded stuff... then don't highlight it! LOL!
Zombies are good though... looks like it has promise... didn't know how to load the gun though (you can't use load... or put clip in...)
completed
6/10

<edit> Noticed you said people had to type 'look'... maybe it's just me, but 'X object' has become so much of a habit, I don't even consider anything else... </edit>
madquest8

Postby revgiblet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:21 pm

Dead Race

Everyone has at least one Zombie game in them, and this is Justahack's (or so it seems). I'm not sure what I think about this game. Zombies may be overused, even in the world of IF, but there's still life in them yet (ho ho, I made a pun). The problem is making such a common scenario seems fresh and interesting. To me 'Dead Race' feels very clichéd in its set-up. It doesn't help that it's minimalistically implemented. I couldn't examine anything or really do much other than get the ubiquitous gun (it's a Zombie game after all) from the bedroom and climb out the window. I assume this was because JaH cut some corners to get the game in for the deadline. This is fine. It is a demo, after all, and the point is to try and grab me with the setting and story. Those of us who just cut down an already partly-finished project had an unfair advantage in respect of implementation. The trouble is that it's becoming increasingly hard to make Zombies an interesting hook.

The mobile phone could be interesting. The first text message just cemented my feelings about the game's hackneyed approach, but the second text message was more amusing and made me wonder if JaH was going to pull a switcharoo and put some kind of unique spin on the genre. It's certainly possible, and the ending of the intro (it had an ending. Yay!) could certainly lead in that direction - or maybe it was just a convenient literary device to signal the end of the demo. On a different note, I would advise that JaH come up with something other than the oh-how-convenient "You lose the signal as soon as the message arrives" mechanism to control the player's use of the mobile phone.

What I did like was the use of bold text to highlight functional room features (at least I assume that was its purpose, as nothing was implemented). Some players may feel that this is hand-holding, but in this case I appreciated not having to wade through text to identify the important things. I think this will be a matter of taste, but I liked it.

I suspect the deadline forced JaH to rush this somewhat, as it didn't seem to have the same sparkling writing as his 'Spring Ting' entries (second text message and the cry of the being-eaten passer-by excepted). I stand by my comments for my last reviews of his games - this boy has the ability to write very good IF, so I'm hoping that he can do something with Zombies that will make me give this the thumbs up.

EDIT: I too failed to try "look at..." instead of 'x' and 'examine'. The game is not as sparsely implemented as I assumed. Sorry JaH.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby KFAdrift » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:06 pm

voting over
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Return to Competitions