2 - If anything I was put of from trying the full version
22%
1 - Run a mile if this ever becomes a full game
11%

Total votes : 9

Postby KFAdrift » Sun May 31, 2009 1:53 pm

JUDGING "Donuts" by Mr. TDS

INTROCOMP AIM
The challenge is to come up with a brilliant beginning to an Adrift game that is in a working playable form. This must really make the player want to actually continue with the rest of the game, if it existed. So, it is a competition for games that are just an introduction using no more than 3 locations and is all about good writing rather than loads of actions/puzzles.

JUDGING
Judges should play the games from the zip file located at The Adventure Demos section on the Adrift site and then mark them in the poll for that game. Be careful not to get it wrong as you cannot take a vote back. Entries should be judged on the basis of how much they draw you into wanting to play the full game, but the mark should also reflect how well you believe the game fits in with the spirit and rules of the event.

Judging ends in two weeks at 5PM BST on Sunday 14th June 2009 after which the winner will be acclaimed based on the aggregate of votes cast in the game poll.

Edited By KFAdrift on 1243886874
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby justahack » Sun May 31, 2009 7:28 pm

I found the gun in the sink, but I find it's not killing the wife. (look in sink, get gun, kill wife) Is my only option to hide under the bed in the bedroom? :D And in the bar scene, the protagonist seems to be daydreaming about killing his wife, but says that his wife is already dead. Then he gets a note, about how his wife is really alive and that she is still intent on killing him. I find this interesting but I'm not sure how the bedroom scene relates to the bar scene. D: Did I just miss something? hehe.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Duncan_B » Sun May 31, 2009 8:04 pm

It looks like the ADRIFT combat system is used... you have to keep shooting her until she dies. Or you can just hide under the bed.

As for the jumbledness of it, I can't speak as to the author's intent, but I was intrigued. I disliked the protagonist in the opening part, but then as the intro came to a close I genuinely wanted to know more about him & what was happening.
Duncan_B

Postby alsnpk » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:12 pm

This game... I can't exactly say I liked it exactly, but I would definitely be interested to see where it would go. It's the kind of game I would have to withhold judgment on until the very end.
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby madquest8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:53 pm

Donuts
As a wife beating simulator... it fails, as anything else... it also fails!
Completed
1/10
madquest8

Postby revgiblet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:25 pm

Donuts

TDS can write good IF. He's bona-fide. The man has a pedigree. The beginning of the game is well-written, in fact that's the theme of this game. Well-writing. I mean, good-writing. The writing is probably not only the best I've seen in this comp, but possibly the best I've ever seen from TDS. The noir feel is convincing; the unsympathetic protagonist and his (possibly) paranoid delusions interesting; I can almost forgive him for including a scene using the default ADRIFT battle system. Almost.

Thankfully, the battle scene is non-compulsory but I still don't like its inclusion. Is it possible to win? I don't know. I'm just glad that TDS game me something else to try or he would have lost me before it started to get interesting.

It is interesting, but like some of the other entries suffers due to the limitations of the competition. It doesn't do *quite* enough to grab me totally. I'm intrigued and curious, but not desperate to see what happens next. I also think that it might lose points in the eyes of some for not being enough 'game' and being too much 'text dump'. Now I don't mind this at all - which shouldn't surprise those of you who have tinkered with any of my games. Text dumps get a bad rap. Of course it's 'Interactive Fiction'! I'm asking you to press 'Enter' to see the next page of text, aren't I?

Enough of this diversion. I would rather read a couple of pages of good writing with a little bit of interaction than play a badly-implemented and story-light puzzler. I think that the strength of this effort is the good writing, though I'd have to play more to see if - as a game - it holds my attention. As it stands, and bearing in mind the goals of the competition, 'Donuts' is probably my personal pick of the bunch.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby KFAdrift » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Voting over
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Return to Competitions