2 - If anything I was put of from trying the full version
No votes
1 - Run a mile if this ever becomes a full game
No votes

Total votes : 7

Postby KFAdrift » Sun May 31, 2009 1:58 pm

JUDGING "Existence" by Abbi Park

INTROCOMP AIM
The challenge is to come up with a brilliant beginning to an Adrift game that is in a working playable form. This must really make the player want to actually continue with the rest of the game, if it existed. So, it is a competition for games that are just an introduction using no more than 3 locations and is all about good writing rather than loads of actions/puzzles.

JUDGING
Judges should play the games from the zip file located at The Adventure Demos section on the Adrift site and then mark them in the poll for that game. Be careful not to get it wrong as you cannot take a vote back. Entries should be judged on the basis of how much they draw you into wanting to play the full game, but the mark should also reflect how well you believe the game fits in with the spirit and rules of the event.

Judging ends in two weeks at 5PM BST on Sunday 14th June 2009 after which the winner will be acclaimed based on the aggregate of votes cast in the game poll.

Edited By KFAdrift on 1243886924
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby justahack » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:19 am

I'm kind of curious where the author was going with this. It seems interesting. Vaguely spooky. I get the impression that the protagonist is the child of a family of jilted servants. Something to that affect. :D But anything more than that I can't quite discern.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby madquest8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:54 pm

Existence
Interesting trying to suss out what you actually are (A horse, spider, ghost, dog... etc etc all flitted into my thoughts... obviously I must be a bit crazy.), but once that is solved the game might lose some of it's appeal...
Completed ?
8/10
madquest8

Postby revgiblet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Existence

Of all the games that I played for the comp, this one probably struck the best balance between teasing you with hinted-at answers and giving you enough of the story to go on. The big hook for this one is "What am I?". Like everyone else who's played this, I was speculating and looking for clues as to my identity in the text with each new piece of the puzzle uncovered. At first I thought I was a bird - I could only move up, after all - but as I went on my theory began to change. A fairy, perhaps? Maybe a ghost, or even a gust of wind? Now that's how to get someone like me interested.

The assumed spectral nature of the protagonist, coupled with my inability to interact with anything in the world, really reminded me of the old Level 9 adventure Scapeghost. That game begins with you, as a ghost, developing your ability to interact with the physical world by picking up objects of increasing size. Having solved the puzzle with the fan I began to wonder if this was exactly the same sort of thing that Abbi was going for. If I recall correctly, a feather was one of the graded objects in Scapeghost too.

Anyway, enough of the trip down memory lane. This game's great strength was that it had a compelling hook - and that's what this comp is all about. Although it was frustrating to not be able to interact with the world more, it did seem to fit with the game so I couldn't get too mad at it.

It's hard to sum up my thoughts about this game. It succeeded in its goal and left me dangling, but I still feel a little unsatisfied - as though the demo also left unresolved smaller issues that should have been resolved by the end. I can't quite put my finger on it, but think that the demo could benefit from a bit more fleshing out (no pun intended). If there was more to do and see within the three rooms, that would be good. It wouldn't have to give anything else away. I'd be happy to be left as clueless as I was, if only I could engage with the world a bit more. Despite that, this is shaping up to be game that, after Donuts, intrigues me the most.

EDIT: I don't think that there was a feather in Scapeghost after all...

Edited By revgiblet on 1244812852
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby KFAdrift » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:10 pm

Voting over
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Return to Competitions