2 - If anything I was put of from trying the full version
No votes
1 - Run a mile if this ever becomes a full game
No votes

Total votes : 7

Postby KFAdrift » Sun May 31, 2009 1:55 pm

JUDGING "To end all wars" by Duncan Bowsman

INTROCOMP AIM
The challenge is to come up with a brilliant beginning to an Adrift game that is in a working playable form. This must really make the player want to actually continue with the rest of the game, if it existed. So, it is a competition for games that are just an introduction using no more than 3 locations and is all about good writing rather than loads of actions/puzzles.

JUDGING
Judges should play the games from the zip file located at The Adventure Demos section on the Adrift site and then mark them in the poll for that game. Be careful not to get it wrong as you cannot take a vote back. Entries should be judged on the basis of how much they draw you into wanting to play the full game, but the mark should also reflect how well you believe the game fits in with the spirit and rules of the event.

Judging ends in two weeks at 5PM BST on Sunday 14th June 2009 after which the winner will be acclaimed based on the aggregate of votes cast in the game poll.

Edited By KFAdrift on 1243887065
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Thingamus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Wherefore can I not consumeth of yon chocolatey cake or yon cubes of sugar?
Released workes:
Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort: 11th place in Ye Olde IFComp '09.
Pirate's Plunder!: 3rd place in ADRIFT Summer Comp (4 stars!).
Albert is Lost!: An Adventure in Real Life (2 stars!).
Newton (1 star!).

Twitter: @Thingamus!
Thingamus

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Wherefore can I not consumeth of yon chocolatey cake or yon cubes of sugar?

Oh, shoot. Well, that'll have to be changed in the full version.
Duncan_B

Postby alsnpk » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:00 pm

But I WANT to wear it and make it out alive! Haha. Interesting taste of a different style of gameplay.

Nice hints. I liked that I could view them after the game ended, too.
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby madquest8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:58 pm

TEAW
Very, very short... but good.
Completed.
7/10 War is fun!
madquest8

Postby revgiblet » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:47 am

TEAW

A First World War game - one that reminds me of Over the Edge in that it seems to want to portray the brutality of the Great War by making the game punishing. As in 'Dung Beetles Are Aliens', DB tries to evoke a particular atmosphere through his presentation, this time through the medium of music. The jolly nature of the tune jars a little with the nature of the game, but I assume this is intentional as the lyrics are clearly satirical and therefore tie in with the heart of the game.

The style and presentation are excellent. DB puts lots of effort into this side of his projects and it contributes to making his games a pleasure to play. Navigation of the text is painless and his descriptions are spot-on. In terms of the writing matching the genre and atmosphere of the game, all of DB's efforts for this comp have been flawless.

However, I'm not too sure what DB is trying to achieve with this. There is no obvious plot, other than to survive, so the incentive to play the full version of this game appears to depend on the player's interest in a series of timed puzzles, with failure to complete being punished harshly. The game invites you to try a variety of different actions, each of which either kill you or reduce the number of moves that you have left to prevent inhaling toxic death. Checking the hints seems to confirm that it's impossible - like Over the Edge - to complete the game. I suppose that you can't fault it for making its point. It does, however, make it hard for me to judge this game. What am I judging it on? The writing is, as I would expect, great but there isn't anything else about this effort that makes me want to play on. As an educational tool, a First World War IF game has the potential to be perfect. Combining DB's writing with the chance to learn more about 1914-1918 *does* appeal to me (I do have a passing interest in military history) but beyond that there's not much to entice you to play this game.

I would certainly recommend the full-game to myself, and people like me, but I am fairly sure that this would be unlikely to become anyone's favourite ADRIFT game. But that doesn't matter - an interesting and very good ADRIFT game would be enough for me.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby KFAdrift » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Voting over
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Return to Competitions