ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Repro-comp?

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Repro-comp?

Postby Campbell » Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 am

Would anyone be interested in a competition where all game entrants MUST be reproductions of existing games? It would be a v5 competition only. The idea being that it would be good to see how much can be done using v5, and to highlight any shortfalls. Also, it would be good to have some reasonably good quality games available for the format.

I know adriftste has already had a crack at Zork I and Adventure.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: Repro-comp?

Postby adriftste » Wed May 04, 2011 10:04 am

Whilst porting Adventure350 to V5 was a great way of figuring out V5 the most major shortfall I discovered was the lack of a complete standard library. I needed to code my own before I could even start the port.

That said converting V4 games to V5 from scratch, that is coding in V5, using V5 methods and not simply importing the V4 game into V5, could go a long way to improving ADRIFTs standing.
adriftste

Postby P/o Prune » Wed May 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Campbell wrote:Would anyone be interested in a competition where all game entrants MUST be reproductions of existing games? It would be a v5 competition only. The idea being that it would be good to see how much can be done using v5, and to highlight any shortfalls. Also, it would be good to have some reasonably good quality games available for the format.

I know adriftste has already had a crack at Zork I and Adventure.

Just to make things clear here, Campbell.
Are you talking about a game already created using V.4 and then converted into V.5. Or can we start from scratch in V.5 but the game has to be an earlier V.4 release? :?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 27Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby adriftste » Wed May 04, 2011 2:56 pm

I would say start from scratch in v5 and that the game could have previously been coded in ANY system, ADRIFT V4, Inform, Tads, Hugo whatever.
adriftste

Postby P/o Prune » Wed May 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Well, I'm in anyway...
This could be quite interesting.
Anyone else participating?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 27Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Wed May 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Are you talking about a game already created using V.4 and then converted into V.5. Or can we start from scratch in V.5 but the game has to be an earlier V.4 release? :?
I mean starting from scratch. And I was assuming it would be reproducing games from outside ADRIFT (otherwise there's not a huge benefit), so preferably some of the better Inform/TADS/Hugo etc games, as adriftste says.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby adriftste » Wed May 04, 2011 3:25 pm

And I was assuming it would be reproducing games from outside ADRIFT (otherwise there's not a huge benefit)

Other than showing that V5 is significantly improved over V4 (In particular the parser and the much reduced need for wildcards).

Anyone else participating?

I may, if I can find some suitable I7 source to have a go at (I7 is all I know without having to attack manuals). And, of course, I can get the permission of the source holder. I don't think I'll attempt Blue Lacuna though.
adriftste

Postby NickyDude » Wed May 04, 2011 3:40 pm

If people do, would you be kind enough to create a tutorial / blog of sorts on exactly what you're doing and how you did it? This would give non-Adrift'ers / (very) casual users something to follow so they can get the best out of V5.

Note: Campbell, you have 2 smilies both named "thanks", I can't get the one holding the placard. ;)
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Campbell » Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 pm

NickyDude wrote:Note: Campbell, you have 2 smilies both named "thanks", I can't get the one holding the placard. ;)
:thanks: and :Thanks: for that...
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby ralphmerridew » Wed May 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Look at "Museum of Inform". It's structured as a series of independent examples, so it's clearly written and you can translate just one part at a time. (On the other hand, it's also meant to show off the capabilities of I6, so large portions may not be doable.) "Toyshop" may also be a good one.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby adriftste » Wed May 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Are entrants expected to use the default standard library or are they allowed to use their own?
adriftste

Postby Campbell » Wed May 04, 2011 6:12 pm

adriftste wrote:Are entrants expected to use the default standard library or are they allowed to use their own?
I would be happy for them to enhance it. As you say, it needs beefing up somewhat.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby adriftste » Thu May 05, 2011 5:44 am

Of course without the new features/fixes of 5.0.17 you will be getting a lot of comments about how it is hard to do this or that when in reality it's not - you just need the latest version.

Any news on the next update?
adriftste

Postby Campbell » Thu May 05, 2011 7:30 am

Lol. Hopefully not too long. It's almost ready, but I made a big change to properties, so I'm just trying to make sure I don't release it with lots of bugs. Not that I would do that sort of thing of course...
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Thu May 05, 2011 7:59 am

Ok, I will have the competition start, coinciding with the next release. I'll post the rules up separately later.
Campbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to Competitions