ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Review Competition 2011

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Review Competition 2011

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:41 am

Review competition 2011
This should be interesting… :yeah:
We’ve had quite a few different competitions over the years, but none like this I believe.

Background:
A rather interesting discussion has been going on for some time, regarding whether we are too positive when we write reviews about Adrift games. The discussion also turned into what we could do as a community to get the IF world to notice us and maybe get more people to play Adrift games. One of the suggestions was that reviews should be posted on the IFDB which was not a bad idea. Only problem being that not many people bother to write a review of a game they’ve played.
In an earlier post, somewhere in the forum, David suggested an end of the year review reward. I have taken the liberty to slightly modify that idea and organize a review competition.
Maybe in 2012 we can evaluate all the reviews from that year and have a proper end of the year reward for reviews as well as the end of the year game reward?

Duncan, and David have already begun writing reviews for some of the Adrift games, so, this is the perfect opportunity to continue their work and get the rest of the Adrift community to join.

Rules:
I’m not setting up a lot of rules as to what has to be within the review regarding playability, entertainment, puzzles, logic, etc, etc. I leave that up to you. Maybe that can come later.
I have looked through the adventure list in the Adrift web site, and picked out 10 games, one for each year since 2000, that hasn’t been reviewed yet. (Or at least there were no reviews available)

•Any registered member of the forum can participate.
•You pick one of the games from the list, play it for at least two hours (that should be enough to give you an overall impression of the game) then you write a review, add it to the game on the adventure page and post a copy in this thread.
•You can’t review your own game.
•There must be at least three entries for the competition to run.
•Running from now, and till September 24th
•Voting from September 25th to 30th. The review with the most votes win. Simple as that.
•Prize money will be 10 us dollar, paid through PayPal or Amazon voucher.

The picking list:
•2000: The Twilight: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=580
•2001: Where is Richard?: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=599
•2002: Scene of the Crime: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=586
•2003: Humbug: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=646
•2004: Shards of Memory: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=657
•2005: Beethro’s Text adventure: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=820
•2006: Star Dust: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=961
•2007: Jonathan Grimshaw: Space Tourist: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=971
•2008: Hunting Ground: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=1097
•2009: Tic Tac Toe: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=1165
•2010: Yon Astounding Castle of some Sort: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=adventure&advid=1186

That’s it folks…. The scene is yours.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: Review Competition 2011

Postby Lumin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:17 am

I actually wrote a review of Star Dust back around when it first came out, for either the newsletter or the old reviews exchange. I'll have to go digging for it later.

Yon Astounding Castle was an IFComp game so I believe it had several reviews...just not from us, apparently. :blush:

This is an awesome idea though. It already seems that there've been more reviews popping up recently than we've seen in a long time, but it never hurts to have a little more incentive. :) Even minus the contest, it would be great to have a thread like this every month just to put the spotlight on neglected games.

Though I still agree with David that we ought to add something about reviewing to the EotY awards...doesn't have to be about a specific review, just a category to nominate the most active/helpful reviewer, kind of like the ones for biggest contributor to the community or most promising newcomer (or whatever they were called, it's been awhile...)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:21 am

Lumin wrote:Yon Astounding Castle was an IFComp game so I believe it had several reviews...just not from us, apparently. :blush:

Since it's being counted in the 2010 slot, I assume we're meant to review the Post-Comp version of YAC!oss, which has not been reviewed.

Po. Prune: could you edit the original post to add download links to the games mentioned?
Duncan_B

Postby rotter » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:20 am

Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby rotter » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:22 am

Lumin wrote:I actually wrote a review of Star Dust back around when it first came out, for either the newsletter or the old reviews exchange. I'll have to go digging for it later.

Yon Astounding Castle was an IFComp game so I believe it had several reviews...just not from us, apparently. :blush:

This is an awesome idea though. It already seems that there've been more reviews popping up recently than we've seen in a long time, but it never hurts to have a little more incentive. :) Even minus the contest, it would be great to have a thread like this every month just to put the spotlight on neglected games.

Though I still agree with David that we ought to add something about reviewing to the EotY awards...doesn't have to be about a specific review, just a category to nominate the most active/helpful reviewer, kind of like the ones for biggest contributor to the community or most promising newcomer (or whatever they were called, it's been awhile...)

Your review good lady - S Tar Dus T
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:14 am

Very nice idea (especially considering it's partly mine :D )

I think quite a few of those games have been reviewed at one time or another. Back when Campbell updated the old site, it wiped all the reviews off and no one has since got round to putting them back up again. I certainly remember a few reviews for my Scene of the Crime game on the main site which later disappeared after the update.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:30 pm

rotter wrote:Just for the records, reviews do exist for -Yon Astounding Castle of some Sort

But not for the Post-Comp version (which is the version currently on the Adventures page), and none from the ADRIFT Community itself (ever, as far as I can tell).
Duncan_B

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Po. Prune: could you edit the original post to add download links to the games mentioned?

I'll see what I can do about it. Problem is that I'm not at home right now and that I'm borrowing someone elses computer.
We, re going to Disney Land monday, and I will probably bve able to hijack one of Marriott's computers and fix it. :whistle:

I wasn't aware that so many games on the list had already been reviewed :blush:
But I will let the list stay as is for this competition. There should be plenty of games on the list to choose from.
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of editing the original post to add the links to the games. Some were quite a pain to find (seriously, why did the author of Stardust spell it like that?)
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:59 pm

David Whyld wrote:Hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of editing the original post to add the links to the games. Some were quite a pain to find (seriously, why did the author of Stardust spell it like that?)

Of course I don't mind... :yeah:
thanks a lot..
Po. Prune

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 am

This competition is over in, like, 4 days. Does anybody else plan on participating? Are we counting reviews that were already written for games like S Tar Dus T? I still don't think we can count the reviews for Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort. There are some significant changes between the comp (2009) and post-comp (2010) versions. At least one puzzle has been heavily modified, one has an additional solution, and one has been removed entirely, just to name a few.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:14 am

I've been meaning to review some more games but I never quite seem to get around to it, and discovering the game breaking bug in The Twilight, which occurs if you're not using the right version of the ADRIFT Runner, was pretty depressing and has made me kind of reluctant to review any other old games. It makes me wonder how many times in the past I've encountered errors in games that are there through no fault of the author’s but simply due to the game being written in a different version of ADRIFT than the one I'm playing it with. While I can accept it’s not realistic to expect every game ever written with ADRIFT to work flawlessly in every version of ADRIFT, particularly games written a decade ago, it’s still disappointing when these things happen. For what it’s worth, my own IFComp entry plays differently ADRIFT 5 than it does under ADRIFT 4 and it was written with the very latest version of ADRIFT 4.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:19 pm

David Whyld wrote:While I can accept it’s not realistic to expect every game ever written with ADRIFT to work flawlessly in every version of ADRIFT, particularly games written a decade ago, it’s still disappointing when these things happen.

It would be possible to do have such compatibility, but it would require low-level ADRIFT being designed completely differently.

As for your comp game, there's a variable that holds the interpreter version (%aversion% IIRC). Check its value. If it's not the same as the interpreter you're using, warn the player about it.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 pm

David Whyld wrote:For what it’s worth, my own IFComp entry plays differently ADRIFT 5 than it does under ADRIFT 4 and it was written with the very latest version of ADRIFT 4.
Can you give me specifics and/or send me the game so I can fix the problems?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:00 pm

I sent you the game file.
David Whyld

Next

Return to Competitions