Postby Campbell » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:26 pm

http://www.ifcomp.org/comp11/games.php
Three ADRIFT games this year. Good luck to all three of you! :welldone:
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: The IF Comp games are out

Postby rotter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:16 am

Yeh, Good luck! Looking forward to playing them.

And all you lurking Drifters (yes I mean you!). Support them.

How?

Play the games and vote!
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:32 am

If anyone wants to play my game, they're best downloading it and playing it with the V4 Runner. The online version doesn't play properly.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:33 am

I've now fixed the particular problem you mentioned. The reason this happened was
[Reveal] Spoiler:
when converting to v5, it changed your "get ?" tasks to specific tasks of the general get task. This clearly isn't a good idea when the object you are taking is a static object. I have now added logic to only convert to a specific task when there are no static objects of that name.

Please let me know if you spot any other issues.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks.
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:36 pm

How do I change the font and colours in the ADRIFT entries? Is there an option I'm missing somewhere?
David Whyld

Postby phkb » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:51 pm

It looks like there are ALR issues with the v5 online runner. "Time passes..." comes up when you wait in my game. I've already ALR'ed this to something else, but it's not getting picked up. Again, better off to download my game (Cursed) rather than use this option.
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby phkb » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Campbell, I'd suggest that you include some sort of code that informs the player that they are using a runner that the game wasn't designed for, and that the upgrade process may not be perfect. The way it stands, players have no idea that a game was designed for v4 but is running in v5 and the conversion process might not be ideal.
phkb

Postby Campbell » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:18 pm

David Whyld wrote:How do I change the font and colours in the ADRIFT entries? Is there an option I'm missing somewhere?
In what, WebRunner? That currently just picks up the default. It's configurable in Runner in Options tho.
phkb wrote:It looks like there are ALR issues with the v5 online runner. "Time passes..." comes up when you wait in my game. I've already ALR'ed this to something else, but it's not getting picked up. Again, better off to download my game (Cursed) rather than use this option.
Will look into.
phkb wrote:Campbell, I'd suggest that you include some sort of code that informs the player that they are using a runner that the game wasn't designed for, and that the upgrade process may not be perfect. The way it stands, players have no idea that a game was designed for v4 but is running in v5 and the conversion process might not be ideal.
You could actually add a task into v4 that checks the version and displays a warning or ends the game if it is >= 5, which would stop it playing on v5 Runners if you wish. I think it's just %version% but will check when I'm next at my PC. I just added an About page to WebRunner where you can see the version the game was created with.

I could get WebRunner to stop playing the games if you like? Or you could ask Stephen to remove the online link as David has done. I notified him of WebRunner as I thought it would increase the audience of the games.

With it being WebRunner however, I can quickly put in fixes (WebRunner is currently v5.0.21 rather than v5.0.20 which is latest Runner, which is why it is better at running the games). If it's just a case of it being a few little things then I am happy to try to get these fixed as soon as I am able to. It's up to you of course, I don't want to damage your chances in any way and sorry if you feel v5 is doing this.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Campbell wrote:Or you could ask Stephen to remove the online link as David has done.
I see this has now been done, and I also added a warning to WebRunner.

For what it's worth, I have fixed the ALR issue.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby phkb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:02 am

For what it's worth, I have fixed the ALR issue.

I'm glad, but I guess I see v4 compatibility as a work-in-progress in v5. I've spent a vast amount of time getting my game running in two interpreters - v4.51 and SCARE 1.3.10. I wouldn't be comfortable allowing the game to run in v5 until I've had time to run it through myself, and given I didn't think it would be happening I didn't take the time to do it. One ALR fix is fine, but in the 2 minutes I spent viewing my game in the online runner, I saw a couple of other things that weren't working (eg. the status line was not displaying the correct text, and centered text was not being centered). Minor issues to be sure, be I get no confidence that larger issues aren't lurking under the surface.
phkb

Postby David Whyld » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:51 am

Campbell wrote:
David Whyld wrote:How do I change the font and colours in the ADRIFT entries? Is there an option I'm missing somewhere?
In what, WebRunner? That currently just picks up the default. It's configurable in Runner in Options tho.

I've found how to change the colour, but there doesn't seem to be an option to change the font itself, either to another font or to increase or decrease the size of it.
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:39 am

If anyone should want to play my game, I suggest downloading it.
It works ok when playing online, but the zip file contains the hint file, walk-wthrough and the map.
Just thought I'd let you know.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 pm

David Whyld wrote:
Campbell wrote:

I've found how to change the colour, but there doesn't seem to be an option to change the font itself, either to another font or to increase or decrease the size of it.

So... is there a way of changing the font?
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:19 pm

The author can set a default font in Generator/Developer. I haven't added the option to override this in v5 Runner yet.
Campbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to Competitions