ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

IF Comp 2011 Results

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: IF Comp 2011 Results

Postby David Whyld » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Ah, heck with it. I'm tired of arguing the toss about this anyway.

Truce, Duncan?
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Truce. And companions still in good standing, I hope.
Duncan_B

Postby Hannes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:21 am

Hannes wrote:All of this is a non-issue as far as voting is concerned anyway. Why? Because the distribution of players over time during the voting period most likely follows a negative exponential curve anyway (assumption based on the appearance of reviews which does follow such a pattern). So no matter what an author tries, her game will be judged based on the initial version anyway, regardless of later updates.

Why does it stil have a positive effect? Because authors will think updating their games might give them a boost, leaving future generations with better games.

So:
Effect on voting/competition outcome: mathematically negligible
Effect on archived game quality: positive

With new emphasis.
Hannes

Postby David Whyld » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:45 am

Most likely but not 100% guaranteed? Hmmm...

But I'm tired of this debate anyway. Think what you like. I'm out of the IFComp for the foreseeable future.
David Whyld

Postby Hannes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:03 pm

"A bit' better than "I really feel" and "I'm wondering if", don't you think?
Hannes

Postby Lumin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:14 am

Wow, I haven't seen a truly heated argument on this site in years. Makes me all nostalgic and stuff.

As for my two cents, being unlikely to ever actually finish a game in time for the comp I don't have as much of a stake in this, but
If people like the new rule, ok with me. but to me the concept of a competition is gone. It will be submitting a game and have a huge number of beta testers playing it.
pretty much sums up my opinion.

That said, disagree with the rule or not, the IFComp may still be pretty much the only reliable place to get a substantial number of people playing and reviewing your game, so I will probably still enter if ever have an eligible game. I played only original versions this year though, and will continue to do so in the future--an author updating their game is all well and good, but I don't see it as fair at all to judge a comp based on anything done after the deadline.

Anyway, I was happy to see Cursed place so high, so :bravo: to Nick and all that. I'd hate to see that accomplishment get overshadowed by this little controversy. (Really surprised Finn and David's games placed so low, but I haven't played several of the games above theirs yet. 'Taco Fiction' in particular was not exactly a title that grabbed me...)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Previous

Return to Competitions