ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

IF Comp 2011 Results

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

IF Comp 2011 Results

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 am

Hi everyone,
I received the results from the IF Comp 2011... Thought I'd share it with you.
Congrats to Nick Rogers for the highest score (Adrift game) Job well done! :bravo:
Here it is.

1. Taco Fiction, by Ryan Veeder
2. Six, by Wade Clarke
3. The Play, by Deirdra Kiai
4. Escape From Santaland, by Jason Ermer
5. PataNoir, by Simon Christiansen
6. The Life (and Deaths) of Doctor M, by Edmund Wells
7. Beet the Devil, by Carolyn VanEseltine
8. Kerkerkruip, by Victor Gijsbers
9. Cana According To Micah, by Christopher Huang (writing as Rev. Stephen Dawson)
10. A Comedy of Error Messages, by Adam Le Doux
11. The Binary, by Simon (writing as Bloomengine)
12. Tenth Plague, by Lynnea Dally
13. Cursed, by Nick Rogers
(tie) Ted Paladin And The Case Of The Abandoned House, by Anssi Raisanen
15. Cold Iron, by Lyman Clive Charles
16. It, by Emily Boegheim
17. Andromeda Awakening, by Marco Innocenti
18. Keepsake, by Savaric
19. Sentencing Mr Liddell, by I-K. Huuhtanen
20. Calm, by Joey Jones and Melvin Rangasamy
21. The Guardian, by Lutein Hawthorne
22. The Hours, by Robert Patten
23. Blind, by Andrew Metzger (writing as Arman)
24. The Myothian Falcon, by Andy Joel
25. Last Day of Summer, by Cameron Fox
26. Death of Schlig, by Peter Timony
27. Fan Interference, by Andrew Schultz
28. Playing Games, by Pam Comfite
29. How Suzy Got Her Powers, by David Whyld
30. Return to Camelot, by Finn Rosenløv (writing as Po. Prune)
31. Awake the Mighty Dread, by Lyle Skains
32. The Ship of Whimsy, by U. N. Owen
33. Operation Extraction, by Ming-Yee Iu
34. Professor Frank, by Laurence Kilday
35. Dead Hotel, by Comazombie
36. Fog Convict, by Andrew Metzger (writing as Arman)
37. Luster, by Jared Smith
38. Vestiges, by Joanna Houston (writing as Josephine Wynter)
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: IF Comp 2011 Results

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:39 am

I have updated the Competition page with the results.

Well done Nick for 13th.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:12 am

Well done, Nick.

29th for me? Woot! I have to admit, I never had any expectations that I'd win but I thought I'd do better than that. My fave game came in 10th place and 3 of the top 6 I never got around to playing (including the game that won), though I noticed I played pretty much all the ones that came at the bottom end. As always, some of the games in the top 10 surprised me.
David Whyld

Postby phkb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks everyone. It's kind of spooky that a game called "Cursed" comes in at 13th...
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby phkb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:31 am

It also looks like I've been pipped for the Golden Banana of discord! Dang! Although it does mean I don't have to worry about sending it back later.
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:24 pm

David Whyld wrote:Well done, Nick.

29th for me? Woot! I have to admit, I never had any expectations that I'd win but I thought I'd do better than that. My fave game came in 10th place and 3 of the top 6 I never got around to playing (including the game that won), though I noticed I played pretty much all the ones that came at the bottom end. As always, some of the games in the top 10 surprised me.

Maybe your 29th. is because you left your game as is, rather than updating it like other did.
I don't know this to be true of course, but it would be interesting to have a list of which games were updated and how many times.
Po. Prune

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Yes, that would be an interesting statistic. Perhaps a star for every update in the list.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Stephen Granade said on the IF Forum that 25 of the 38 games had been updated, so it's probably fair to say that by letting people cheat- sorry, by allowing them to update theirgames during the comp, it affected the final score.

I'm half-tempted to enter a game next year just to see how badly I can abuse the rule. Maybe write 30 different games with the same name, upload them one after another, then claim they're all actually the same game, just 'updated'.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:06 pm

But... you can change the name it would seem anyway, so you may as well just make it 30 distinct games... :haha:
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Don't just be half-tempted David... Do it!! :yeah:
I would love to see the reaction. rofl

As for myself this was probably my first and last entry to the annual IF Comp. (Not that it will make a huge impact on the competition as such), but by allowing people to update their games during the competition is running, makes me not want to participate anymore.
I realize that there are different opinioins about whether the rule is fair or not. I think it isn't, so I take the consequences.
Been there, done that...
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:47 pm

I certainly have no intention of entering the IFComp again while this rule stands, though to be honest if it was removed I’d probably still be reluctant to enter next year in case the organiser decides to include another new rule once the comp is in progress. Even if I was in agreement with the rule, I’d have hate the way it was introduced. Couldn't he have at least mentioned it beforehand and gauged peoples’ opinions on it?

As for entering 30 different ‘updated’ games in the IFComp next year... tempting, so very, very tempting. I doubt I’ll do it but I’d be surprised if someone doesn't do something similar. I’ll predict now someone will enter a game, then progressively update it throughout the comp based on feedback they've allegedly received, and the final version will bear no relation to the one originally entered. I also predict they'll be a huge fuss kicked up over this game if it does well in the IFComp with people calling for it to be banned because it’s abusing the rule, and the author responding that he’s doing nothing wrong. Other predictions? That someone will enter a dummy game in the comp then write it once the comp has begun, uploading a different version of it every day until the deadline.
David Whyld

Postby Hannes » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:01 pm

uploading a different version of it every day until the deadline

Sure, you can upload a new version every day, but without effect, because updated games were only posted once a week. So at most, you can have six different games publicized this way.

someone will enter a game, then progressively update it throughout the comp based on feedback they've allegedly received, and the final version will bear no relation to the one originally entered

If that someone wants to end up slammed by the judges and wants to end up as low as possible, that someone might do this, yes. Or this someone might just make a horrible game and stick with it -- same effect.

Seriously, folks: I agree that this was not handled well, with the rule being announced to everyone's surprise. However, none of the scenarios you paint here would have any point! If you've got a good game, why submit a bad one first and claim the good one is an update? Why not submit the good one in the first place? Don't you think that would improve your chances of placing high rather than those elaborate 'cheating' schemes? And if you've got more than one game you want to enter, simply enter them both. It's not unheard of (Andrew Metzger did it this year).

What would make an interesting statistic (though probably impossible to measure) is the question which version were played by the judges anyway. I.e. how many people simply downloaded the bundle of all games at the beginning and played these versus the people who downloaded games individually right before they started playing (and therefore got the 'latest and greatest'). I fell into the latter category. Nevertheless, I saw very polished games early on as well as buggy ones near the end of the competition.

Unfortunately, with only ca. 60 votes per game on the whole, I don't think it would be possible to create a meaningful statistic about how the average rating of updated games per version progressed. Would be interesting indeed, but too little data.

As for the ADRIFT games in particular, I don't believe Cursed would have had any benefit from an update. It was already excellent. Suzy, on the other hand, I might have given a better rating if the parser hadn't been so picky. Didn't play Camelot (running v5 is still a problem).

Edit: Sorry, I had assumed the number of votes would be similar to previous years. Seems like the IF Comp lost 30% of its judges this year. Numbers corrected.
Last edited by Hannes on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hannes

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Hannes wrote:running v5 is still a problem
What O/S do you mostly use?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Hannes » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Debian. I used the WebRunner for the Ectocomp games now and that seemed to work quite well, but in the IF Comp, there were so many games that I didn't feel comfortable experimenting with new interpreters.
Hannes

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 pm

I can't say I have any intention of entering a joke game in the IFComp next year just to abuse the rule, but maybe by this time next year I'll have got some good brooding time in on the idea and decide to do it anyway. If I have any involvement in the IFComp next year at all, it won't be as an author but as a voter. And I think I'll be restricting my voting to those games that haven't been updated on the grounds that if games are updated and I only played the original version, I've no way of knowing whether the game was improved or not so it's best to avoid voting for it at all. I doubt my sole vote will make any difference one way or the other, but I'll certainly feel better about it.

And who knows? The IFComp suffered a massive downturn in voters this year compared to last year. If the same happens next year, and if a few other voters felt the same way, it could sway the final score by quite a bit if we only voted for non-updated games.
David Whyld

Next

Return to Competitions