ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

V.5 Intro Comp

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Re: V.5 Intro Comp

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:51 am

Although I agree with David and the rest of you that the chance of ever seeing one of the intros ever turning into a full fleshed game is, at best very slim, I will go with Lumin and Rotter. If this gets people to work with the V.5 I would consider the competition a success.
It's max 4 rooms and a written intro. How hard can it be? :wink: I feel this will give the participants a chance to exercise their writing skills as well as creating a game and learn about V.5

The "Adrift end of the year" comp (or reward) 2012 is official announced. There's a thread about it and all we need to find out is the "rules"
So if any of you have any thoughts (ideas) post them in the thread.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Campbell » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:11 am

Duncan_B wrote:If you haven't gotten your head around it... sounds like that puts you on even footing with most other 'DRIFTers? Maybe take a shot at it, 'ey?
Well, exactly. I think everyone is just afraid of it because there is so much more in there. But it really isn't any more difficult than v4. Please don't let me think I have just wasted the last 7 years or so... :(
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:26 am

Rotter takes a bite from the bacon sandwich he is carrying.

x sandwich
Cheap under cooked bacon surrounded by cut-price bread.

x rotter
Failed Drifter. Once famous in his own bedroom. Tends to wear a silly hat.

He frowns for a moment before rubbing his chin with his free hand. Speaking to no-one in particular he exclaims, "Okay then I'm game." He removes the woolly hat he always wears and throws it into the ring.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:34 am

Alright, Rotter :bravo:
This is it then.
So far 3 entries or at least promising entries.
Lumin
Rotter
And yours truly

Anyone else?...
Do I hear Campbell say "count me in?" 8)
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:04 am

Assume, for instance, I was interested in the comp but didn't want to use V5, would it be possible to write the game in V4, convert it to V5 and enter it? I mean, would anyone be able to tell the difference?
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:35 am

I think that would be totally missing the point. And yes, if you just did a straight conversion it would be easy to tell. Why not give it a try David, it's only an intro after all...
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Campbell wrote:Well, exactly. I think everyone is just afraid of it because there is so much more in there. But it really isn't any more difficult than v4. Please don't let me think I have just wasted the last 7 years or so... :(

I still think it needs a lot more documentation but I've got to say v5 has really been growing on me the more I use it.

Last night I went on an object-making frenzy...then realized I'd forgot to assign any of them to rooms. Thought I was going to have to go back and do a ton of clicking until I realized that if I shrunk down the main window so that the 'location contents' windows didn't disappear behind it I could just highlight and drag all of them to where the belonged at once. (though this would be even better if clicking the main window didn't automatically kick all the others to the back)

I also love how easy it is to set a description to only be shown the first time the player looks at an object or location. No more special tasks needed for 'east' just to describe them entering the room, etc. really cuts down on the busywork.

There are lots of little things like this that would make it difficult for me to ever go back to v4. Especially custom properties. Oh God I love being able to create properties with one click - from the little bit of testing I've done it really does seem like this one little feature is going to actually make one of my Big Huge Dream Games possible one day. :)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Campbell » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:31 pm

:welldone:
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Could I ask for a clarification of the rules please, in particular "The written intro, (How well do you set up the story.)"

Is this written in the game itself or written in some external format?
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Jin Sane » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Count me in.

I just so happen to have four rooms already planned out for a future project. I'll start writing today.
Jin Sane

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:46 pm

rotter wrote:Could I ask for a clarification of the rules please, in particular "The written intro, (How well do you set up the story.)"

Is this written in the game itself or written in some external format?

My thought was that you use the intro option in the developer. The intro is what makes the player decide wether to play or not, and is quite an important part of the game.
Po. Prune

Postby Jin Sane » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Completed the intro and first room today. Three rooms to go.
Jin Sane

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Jin Sane wrote:Completed the intro and first room today. Three rooms to go.

You don't have to have 4 rooms. 4 rooms is just the maximum your intro game must have. If you are more comfortable having only 2 or three rooms, or even one. That'll be ok.
Po. Prune

Postby Jin Sane » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Yeah, I'm aware I don't have to do all four rooms dude. But I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing. It'll take four rooms to get the opening of my story across anyway.
Jin Sane

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:40 pm

The Intro comp is still running... So no worries.
But I'm afraid that I can't participate. My wife and I bought a house Thursday, and I will be pretty much hung up for the next couple of weeks.
I wish you all the best of luck, and the prize money is still up for graps, of course.
Sorry, chaps.
Po. Prune

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions