ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

V.5 Intro Comp

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

V.5 Intro Comp

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:20 pm

V.5 Intro comp.

The V.5 has been out for quite a while now, and although there are some issues I believe that it’s good enough to use for writing a game.
And since things have been quiet around here for too long now, I have decided to stir up the waters a bit by launching the V.5 intro competition.

I’m going to make it simple…
The game will be evaulated on two things.
The written intro, (How well do you set up the story.)
The overall game. (Is this game captivating the player making him/her want to play the complete game?)

In order to participate you must:

* Create a game consisting of an intro and no more than 4 rooms.

* There must be at least 3 people entering in order for the competition to run.

* You may enter as many games you like.

I know we have an “adult” section in the Adrift forum, but since this competition is for everyone and everyone should be able to vote I suggest that the games entered is kept “clean”

Send your game to me: Rosenloev dot 1 (at) geemail dot com
Write V5 intro and your name in the header

The entries will be zipped and uploaded to the adventure page and a poll will be set up.
The competition starts now, and runs to September 15. 23:59 European standard time... Oh, what the heck, just have the game in at the 15th one day more or less isn’t going to matter.

I would like to say that the winner was obligated to release a full version if his/her game within a year, but even I know that is not possible to enforce.
Of course there is a prize. I put up 20 USD, paid either through PayPal, or as an Amazon voucher whatever is preferred
I guess this will be all.
Good luck and good hunting.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: V.5 Intro Comp

Postby Lumin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Quick, somebody send a link to Samkid882! rofl
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Lumin wrote:Quick, somebody send a link to Samkid882! rofl

Aaarggh You do realize that I could ban you for that remark ? :P
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Hey, if you're worried about number of entries you can't be picky, and anyway making just the first part of a game seem to be his forte. :whistle:

But anyway, now for a question relating to the actual OP: Does the start menu, you know, "press 1 to begin the game, press 2 for information" count as a room for the purposes of the contest?
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Lumin wrote:But anyway, now for a question relating to the actual OP: Does the start menu, you know, "press 1 to begin the game, press 2 for information" count as a room for the purposes of the contest?

No it doesn't ...
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:54 am

^^^thought so but just making sure!

Po. Prune wrote:I would like to say that the winner was obligated to release a full version if his/her game within a year, but even I know that is not possible to enforce.

You're right it can't be enforced, but to provide some incentive for the winner to complete their game, I will pay one burly man to hit them with a wrench er I mean $10 x [number of entries] if they can do it within the year. (You may have to bug me via email for a little reminder though because a year is a long time. :P )
Lumin

Postby Campbell » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:49 am

Quick, someone rattle up a mailshot email and lets get hundreds of entries this time... :D
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 am

Errr...maybe I should have said something like, 'number of entries up to six'.

Either way though, I'm not worried, I know this community well and I have full confidence in laziness and chronic ADD getting me off the hook. Calling it now, whatever game wins, it's never, ever going to be finished. Especially if it's mine! :P
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:52 am

It's just a little worrying that the only ones active in this thread is you (Lumin) Campbell and me. :(
It would be nice to have an indication whether someone else is interested in participating. 8)

As for the prize money, Lumin. How about saving it for the "end of the year reward?
If you donate 10 bucks pr. game up to six, I'll do the same. What do you say?
Po. Prune

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:30 pm

I might be willing to volunteer as a judge, but I'm working on too much other stuff to write up another game at the moment.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm interested in an End of Year comp but less so in an Intro Comp. Why? Because we all know the chances of games entered in an Intro Comp being finished are slightly less than zilch. At least with the End of Year Comp, you get to play finished games (at least, I hope they're finished...)
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:04 pm

I wouldn't put them at *less* than zilch. We did have one game entered in the 2009 IntroComp which became a full game.
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:11 am

I love intro comps for all the same reasons I love mini-comps, and it turns out not having to worry about cramming a complete plot into a limited amount of space makes them even more fun to enter. Plus the timing on this one was perfect for me, I needed a little project to help me get back into IF development.

Po. Prune wrote:As for the prize money, Lumin. How about saving it for the "end of the year reward?

No reason I can't do both! Put me down for up to $60 for that one too.

Not to be all grumpy and cynical like some people, but I'm viewing a situation where I have to give out the IntroComp prize as a pretty much entirely theoretical. It's like the loaded shotgun I keep next to my bed in case of zombies - might need it one day, but probably not. :wink:

Maybe this would be about the right time to make an official End of the Year comp announcement? I'm curious to see how many people are planning to enter.
Lumin

Postby rotter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:08 am

I ran an Intro Comp way way back in the mists of time, 2005 actually, and it was called cleverly the ADRIFT Intro Comp 2005. This place was a lot busier back in 2005 and even at that time only 1 game out of the 8 made it to a full version - Must Escape! by Robert Street (Robert Rafgon), no classic but a fun little game never the less. Actually, even our own KFAdrift put in an entry.

So, final games out of the comp would be fun but if it gets people to use V5 and maybe (!) others to even play some ADRIFT games that would be more than enough.

Me? Put in an entry? Unlikely. Haven't really got my head around 5 yet.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:49 am

If you haven't gotten your head around it... sounds like that puts you on even footing with most other 'DRIFTers? Maybe take a shot at it, 'ey?
Duncan_B

Next

Return to Competitions