ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

End of the year reward

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

End of the year reward

Postby Po. Prune » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:26 am

David Whyld wrote:I ought to have a game out soon. It was originally intended for this year's IFComp if the rule change from last year was removed, but as it looks like it won't be, I'll probably just release it anyway. Or hold it back until the end of year ADRIFT Comp, assuming we're having one – does anyone know?

Since David sent the ball rolling with his post I thought I'd take it up.
There will be an Adrift end of the year reward 2012. Problem is, how are we going to run it? Should all games released in 2012 be allowed or should it only be full sized games? What about competition games? I'm thinking Ectocomp (If there is one this year) and what about the games from the Introcomp?
Should we have a model where people nominates game or should we just take whatever has been released? And what about AIF, now that we have an AIF section in the forum.

Please I need your opinion and suggestions...
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: End of the year reward

Postby Lumin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:17 am

Seems like the simplest solution would be to have authors specifically nominate one of their works if they want it entered. And I'd rather avoid the extremely fuzzy 'what is a full sized game' question, if an author wants to enter I'd say just let them enter and trust it'll all get sorted out in the voting. We're not likely to have so many entries that splitting them into two categories is really feasible, and it's not fair to exclude a game based on some arbitrary size limit. Same goes for previous comp entries, as that's probably where the bulk of the nominees will come from anyway.

As for the other question, I don't know, I doubt Campbell would be thrilled with direct links to AIF on the forum, and I'm assuming they'd have to be uploaded to the Adventures page with the other comp games too. That community already has their own competitions and things anyway, and besides the fact that not everyone would necessarily want to have to play a game like that in order to vote, I think it's fair to say that most people would have very different reasons for playing AIF versus a regular IF (to put it as delicately as possible... :whistle: ) and would be judging on completely different criteria.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:26 am

You're right Lumin.
Let's keep it as simple as possible.
So, people can nominate their own game or any (Adrift) game they feel earns the honor.

Regarding AIF, I'm not sure whether Campbell will be thrilled or not, but I see your point. Besides, any AIF nominated could only be downloaded or voted for in the access restricted adult section of the forum. So The AIF is left for the AIF community.

Another thing.
How do we go about remakes of games? Should they be allowed or should it only be games created in the year 2012?
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Concerning re-makes, I'm pretty sure the original version of Back Home (the only 2012 re-make I know of in ADRIFT) was unfinishable short of opening it in the Generator, so I don't know how many people have played it. In fact, even regardless of that, I'm not sure how many people have played it, since I haven't heard anything about it from anyone else, not even a 'DRIFTer. I'd say it should be safe to allow its nomination (with any prize money going to revgiblet-- I'll probably have another horse in the race).
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:16 am

Personally I have no problems with a remake as long as it has enough significant changes from the original that playing it is a new experience.

If someone posts one that's basically their old game with a few fixed typos, then that's a different story, but since we're basically just talking about one specific game here I don't see the need to make a special rule to exclude it. (Obviously you'd run into a slipperly slope issue in a bigger, more formal comp, but we're all cool here. 8) )
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:55 am

Hi Guys,

What is the current status of this? Two of my playtesters have finished "Fortress of Fear" and a third is almost there, so I could have the adventure ready for a Christmas release and thus be able to enter it for the "End of Year Reward" should it happen.

Thanks.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Return to Competitions