ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Competition time?

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Competition time?

Postby Campbell » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Does anyone else think we need a competition 'round these parts to liven things up?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: Competition time?

Postby Lazzah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Campbell wrote:Does anyone else think we need a competition 'round these parts to liven things up?

Do you have anything in mind?
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Well, I was thinking probably restricted to ADRIFT 5, and keeping it small. Perhaps a technical competition? Or scored on mix of technical and story? With cash prizes perhaps, depending on number of entrants?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Campbell wrote:Well, I was thinking probably restricted to ADRIFT 5, and keeping it small. Perhaps a technical competition? Or scored on mix of technical and story? With cash prizes perhaps, depending on number of entrants?

Technical? That sounds interesting, how do you mean? Technical as in programming?
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:44 pm

As in making good use of a wide range of features, and implementing them in a logical manner. Basically so you could point people towards the game and say "here's how you should implement that feature". Just an idea...
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Mystery » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:47 pm

This would have been handy a month ago when it was slow work! Too busy to remember my own name at the moment. 10 minute lunch breaks suck, btw. :?
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Lazzah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 pm

Campbell wrote: As in making good use of a wide range of features, and implementing them in a logical manner.

Sorry..."logical"? What's that???? :?

Campbell wrote:Basically so you could point people towards the game and say "here's how you should implement that feature". Just an idea...

Ah, well you would probably consider my efforts to be in the category "here's how you SHOULDN'T implement that feature...but it works!" :haha:
Lazzah

Postby Turing » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 pm

I think a competition of some sort could be fun.
Turing

Postby NickyDude » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:50 am

How about a competition of who can create the best tutorial on how to use Adrift. ;)
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Campbell » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:58 am

Do you think that would be much different to the wiki?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

NickyDude wrote:How about a competition of who can create the best tutorial on how to use Adrift. ;)

That's not a bad idea if we chose something that hasn't been covered. I have an idea for one already!
Lazzah

Postby Turing » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:22 am

I'd have to say a competition on writing guides sound exceedingly boring...
Turing

Postby David Whyld » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 am

Maybe a competition to design an interesting idea for a competition would be... an interesting idea.
David Whyld

Postby Turing » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:17 am

I think I'll be making my own competition out of not getting involved any further in a meta-discussion about competitions ;)
Turing

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Well, if you want to do a technical competition, how about how about porting demos or examples from other systems?
Be sure to note things like how well your code scales (loosely, how much uninteresting work you have to put in as the game gets bigger).

For example, suppose you have some parts of your game are blocked by metal detectors.

One method would be to have a separate "Player must not be holding the _____" for each combination of metal object and detector. A different method would be to have a property "is metal" which can be set or not set, and have detectors loop over all enclosed objects and check whether that property is set.

Suppose you had a working game and then wanted to add another metal object. With the first method, you'd have to go to each metal detector and add in an additional restriction. With the second method, you'd just have to set the "is metal" property. The first method is much more error-prone.

(I wrote a few variants on the metal detector in my example at http://pastebin.com/r126pYhZ )
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Next

Return to Competitions