ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift Yearly Comp?

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

Adrift Yearly Comp?

Postby Po. Prune » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:42 pm

I was wondering what you people would think if we had an annual Adrift Competition. Something in the line of the IFComp.
There would be a set of rules (of course) and a set date (the same every year) so participants would know when to have their games ready.
Another thing I'm thinking about is to have an entry fee, and if people are interested they can also donate. The Money will then somehow be divided between the three top games.

Any thoughts?
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: Adrift Yearly Comp?

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:15 am

Why not enter the IFComp proper, which serves the same purpose? It would also get your game played and reviewed by a much wider audience.
Duncan_B

Postby David Whyld » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:45 am

I like the idea of an ADRIFT yearly comp as I think it carries more weight than the dozens of mini-comps we have. Winning something that happens once a year means more than winning something that happens every other month.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:50 am

I definitely think there's some merit to having an annual ADRIFT competition. The IF Comp can be quite intimidating, especially if you are starting off, or a fairly newcomer to creating text adventures. Entering in a smaller competition would be a good way to ease into it. I think the important thing would be that it didn't overlap with the other competition.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Po. Prune » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Both David and Campbell are right.
David:
I like the idea of an ADRIFT yearly comp as I think it carries more weight than the dozens of mini-comps we have. Winning something that happens once a year means more than winning something that happens every other month.

I would imagine that there is more prestige in winning a yearly competition than in one of the (usually) many mini-comps. In the past years there has been a lot of mini comps (I know because I organized quite a few of them rofl )

I definitely think there's some merit to having an annual ADRIFT competition. The IF Comp can be quite intimidating, especially if you are starting off, or a fairly newcomer to creating text adventures. Entering in a smaller competition would be a good way to ease into it. I think the important thing would be that it didn't overlap with the other competition.

The idea of an annual Adrift competition isn't to compete with the "original" annual IF Comp. But let's face it, I don't think that an Adrift game, has ever won, or even come close to winning the IF Comp. And not because there haven't been potential in the Adrift entries (some of them anyway :wink: )
What I would like is for people, Drifters and players alike, to really see what an Adrift game can be. What the developer is capable of, and hopefully they people will think "Hey, I got this great Idea. Looks like I can make it work with this developer"

I was thinking that since the IF Comp is usually in September, how about running the annual Adrift in December? We could then have a Adfift game of the year thing in January, or February?

Thought!
What about Adrift written AIF?
Po. Prune

Postby rotter » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:01 am

David Whyld wrote:I like the idea of an ADRIFT yearly comp as I think it carries more weight than the dozens of mini-comps we have. Winning something that happens once a year means more than winning something that happens every other month.

I agree. If it was always at the sametime, just like the SpringThing and IFComp, you could be getting a game ready all year for the comp. Doesn't mean it would need to push out some of the mini-comps. All our advertising etc could be around the it, to try and get the number of players/voters up. It would need to be for full sized games, with good length playing times.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:02 pm

My idea is to make the deadline December 1st.
This should get us well over the IF Comp, and also the Ecto Comp, which has come to be quite a tradition with the Adrift society.

David has been kind enough to give me suggestions for rules, so we're pretty much set unless someone has any objections to the dates mentioned.
So, is it a go?
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Is 1st December the deadline to submit a game or the deadline by which the judging has to be completed? Either way, it's fine with me.
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 pm

David Whyld wrote:Is 1st December the deadline to submit a game or the deadline by which the judging has to be completed? Either way, it's fine with me.

I was thinking the deadline to submit.
Po. Prune

Postby Turing » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm interested, although my participation is dependent on both the rules and possible force majeure ;)
Turing

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Turing wrote:I'm interested, although my participation is dependent on both the rules and possible force majeure ;)

What rules are you concerned about?
Po. Prune

Postby Turing » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Not worried as such. The scope for the comp is pretty big for a small fry like me, who has yet to actually release anything, but I might have something ready.
Turing

Postby David Whyld » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:20 pm

No need to worry {reaches for copy of Sarcastic Reviewing Techniques}, we promise not to unfairly bash your game.

On a totally unrelated subject, is this how you spell abysmal?

:)
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Turing wrote:Not worried as such. The scope for the comp is pretty big for a small fry like me, who has yet to actually release anything, but I might have something ready.

Entering a game into an ADRIFT comp is a great way to get into releasing games. That is how I started. Your game will be played and you will probably get a review or two.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Return to Competitions