ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ECTOCOMP 2013

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF

ECTOCOMP 2013

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:10 am

Shhhhh! Did you... did you hear something? Something hiding in the night... something horrifying, revived by October's mystic air. Something stirring in the leaves, that crawls up from the darkest pits of the Earth only once in a year, something whose scream can be heard across the globe, a monster they say is called... ECTOCOMP!

Ectocomp, Interactive Fiction's Official Hallowe'en Speed-IF, has returned for its seventh incarnation this fateful year of 2013! Ectocomp is a haunting, all-month competition for Hallowe'en-themed interactive fiction executed in just three (3) hours on any platform, guillotine, or gallows. Once more our host, J.J. Guest, crosses over from his indescribable world of horror to oversee this darkest of IF rituals. Writers and all sensitive persons, prepare as you may... there is no defense against the nightmares of this season! Will they compel you to portray impossible worlds of madness, confess to occult sins of mystery, or tickle your readers' funny bones... to death?

So that audiences might witness these horrors on Hallowe'en, the DEADline for all ghastly rites and terrifying delights shall be October 30th at midnight. Authors may feel free to spend as much time as they need in secret preparations, but may spend no more than three (non-consecutive) hours writing (this includes beta-testing). If their nightmarish visions are fertile or the screaming just won't stop, authors may also submit more than one game to the Ectocomp demon at jason.guest[at]gmail.com, but no more than three. The length of the judging period will be determined by the number of sacrifi-- I mean, entries we receive.

Ectocomp 2013 is upon us... run, run, and write for your lives!
Duncan_B

Re: ECTOCOMP 2013

Postby Campbell » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 am

Fab! Do you have a logo for this year? If so, I'll put up a competition page on the site.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:34 am

No word on a logo yet, but we'll keep the Forum posted on that.
Duncan_B

Postby DCBSupafly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Hello old friends! It's been a long time and I'm going to have to squeeze a few practice hours in beforehand with the v5, but I'm excited and I'll have my entry ready by ... when was the deadline?
DCBSupafly

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:18 am

The DEADline (and I will never tire of this pun) is the 30th of October, at midnight! I will be offering up a double-feature Vincent Price DVD containing both Theatre of Blood and Madhouse as a prize. This does mean that whoever wins will have to privately notify me their address for shipping.

If anyone else wants to donate a prize or publicly muse on an intent to enter, that would be great!
Duncan_B

Postby Lumin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Cool, I was wondering if we were doing this this year. Guess who already has half a notebook filled with ideas for mini games? :emoticonofverysmugfacgoeshere:
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Mel S » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:41 am

I'm definitely going to be entering something as soon as I can think up what that something will be.
Mel S

Postby Lumin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Duncan, what dark magics are at work here, your thread is actually raising posters from the dead! :shock:

(Mel and DCB, good to see you! :yeah: )
Lumin

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:35 am

It's the spirit of Halloween, huzzah! Definitely good to see you dudes, I'll be looking forward to playing all of these games...
Duncan_B

Postby DCBSupafly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Halloween & Purim are probably my favorite holidays. I don't know of any Megilacomp....
DCBSupafly

Postby Lumin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Hey, you guys already have a holiday where you get to eat, wear costumes, get presents, and get drunk, it'd be totally unfair if you got your own comp too. :P
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Duncan_B wrote:The DEADline (and I will never tire of this pun) is the 30th of October, at midnight! I will be offering up a double-feature Vincent Price DVD containing both Theatre of Blood and Madhouse as a prize. This does mean that whoever wins will have to privately notify me their address for shipping.

If anyone else wants to donate a prize or publicly muse on an intent to enter, that would be great!

Ooooh, Vincent Price has been a lifelong favorite of mine. I actually have desktop wallpaper of a scene from Theatre of Blood.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby DCBSupafly » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:00 am

Okay, 40 minutes in and I'm starting to see how rusty I am and how unfamiliar with v5 I am in general.

Tip of the day? Yes, you can still add alternate descriptions, they're in right-click menus!

Thanks a lot to NickyDude for the PDF version of the wiki! ctrl-f is king when I need reference and the wiki just can't replace that!
DCBSupafly

Postby Lumin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:02 pm

I have something really simple I'm trying to do which turned out not to be so simple. And it doesn't help that I've had to have my computer time in the living room and people in and out of the house the last several days. I hope we're not planning to go by what the Developer says is three hours of work, because I feel like I've had to get up and walk off to deal with something every ten minutes or so.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Sooo...one day left, folks. It's been a little quiet here, who's actually entering? :anyone:
Lumin

Next

Return to Competitions