ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

5.0.33 out now

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website

5.0.33 out now

Postby Campbell » Mon May 04, 2015 12:04 pm

9 months after the last release, the new version is finally out. There's a few exciting new features and the usual scattering of bug fixes. Full details can be found over on the News page.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: 5.0.33 out now

Postby Lumin » Mon May 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Some nice changes in there, thanks Campbell. :) The wait actions and everything to do with background colors will be especially handy to me.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 05, 2015 4:07 am

Nice one, Campbell. The ability to cut and paste restrictions and actions will be extremely useful and time-saving. While the background colour enhancements are very welcome, we also need an override option to prevent the player changing these. I have added an enhancement request at: http://www.adrift.co/bug/19017
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 05, 2015 5:54 am

Why prevent the player changing them? No one's going to thank you for taking away the option to set the colours the way they want.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Tue May 05, 2015 7:26 am

You already can - just untick the View > Options > Allow text colours to be modified by games checkbox in Runner.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 05, 2015 7:43 am

David Whyld wrote:Why prevent the player changing them? No one's going to thank you for taking away the option to set the colours the way they want.

I asked for this because some players chose such weird colour schemes that I have had to display a warning message on the start options page of my games. Anyway, they are my games, why shouldn't I have the option to set the colours the way I want them?
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 05, 2015 7:49 am

Campbell wrote:You already can - just untick the View > Options > Allow text colours to be modified by games checkbox in Runner.

I tried that, it doesn't work. When I untick that option, then run one of my games where I have the title page in various colours, ALL the text reverts to the default cyan colour.
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue May 05, 2015 7:53 am

Am I misunderstanding you? Do you want to prevent the person playing the game from being able to allow the game designer to change the colours (i.e. force colours on), or do you want to prevent the game designer from changing the colours away from the person playing the game's preferred colours (i.e. force colours off)?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 05, 2015 8:05 am

Lazzah wrote:
David Whyld wrote:Why prevent the player changing them? No one's going to thank you for taking away the option to set the colours the way they want.

I asked for this because some players chose such weird colour schemes (i.e. a certain person with the initials PP) that I have had to display a warning message on the start options page of my games. Anyway, they are my games, why shouldn't I have the option to set the colours the way I want them?

It's entirely up to you as the author to do what you want with your game. Just as it's entirely up to the player to quit playing your game because you refuse to them let make it look how they want.

I've seen quite a few posts from you complaining over the lack of feedback you've had for "Fortress of Fear". Do you really want to discourage people from playing future games?
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 05, 2015 8:21 am

Campbell wrote:Am I misunderstanding you? Do you want to prevent the person playing the game from being able to allow the game designer to change the colours (i.e. force colours on), or do you want to prevent the game designer from changing the colours away from the person playing the game's preferred colours (i.e. force colours off)?

I just wanted the option to prevent the person playing the game to change the colours chosen by the game designer. Obviously there is opposition to this, so forget I asked.
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue May 05, 2015 8:30 am

The default is for the designer's colours to show - the player has to explicitly disable these. But I think it's important to give the player the final say here. For example, someone that is colour blind or hard of sight might find the designer's colours difficult to see, not comfortable, or just plain garish. If the colours are important as far as gameplay goes, you could always add a note saying such at the start of your game.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 05, 2015 8:33 am

Campbell wrote:The default is for the designer's colours to show - the player has to explicitly disable these. But I think it's important to give the player the final say here. For example, someone that is colour blind or hard of sight might find the designer's colours difficult to see, not comfortable, or just plain garish. If the colours are important as far as gameplay goes, you could always add a note saying such at the start of your game.

I have done so.

I fail to see the point of the new enhancements allowing the game designer to use <bgcolour> HTML tags and to add default background colour if the player can then override these with their own colour choices? You might as well not bother at all with trying to make your game look attractive and leave everything in boring cyan.
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue May 05, 2015 8:43 am

Lazzah wrote:I have done so.
:claps:
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 05, 2015 9:01 am

I don't know why you're getting so worked up over this, Lazzah. Someone choosing to change the colours to something they prefer is hardly going to affect you because you wouldn't even be aware of it unless they told you. But someone giving your game a negative review because "you've set the colours to something I can't read so I can't play your game" would affect you. Why not leave the option to the player?

(And yes, I've quit games because authors have messed around with the colours and wouldn't let me change them. I played Adam Cadre's "Endless Nameless" and really liked it up to the point where it overrode my preferred colours and left me with a glaring white background. After hunting for an option to change the colours and finding none, I quit.)
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Tue May 05, 2015 9:24 am

Personally I like the new setup. It's like the old V.4.
I see no harm in letting the player change the colours if s/he feels the need to do so. Like mentioned earlier in this thread, the author can write a note suggesting that the colours not be tampered with.
I've already changed the ones in my game because this is the way I prefer to see the screen when I'm playing (testing) my game.

If there was a thing I would like to have a final say over, it would be the position (and size) of the graphic window in the developer and the runner. But this is due to the way my game is designed.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Next

Return to News and Announcements