5.0.36 out now

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website
Campbell
Site Admin

5.0.36 out now

Post by Campbell »

The latest version of ADRIFT is now out. Full details can be found over on the News page.

The main enhancement in this release is searchable lists, but there are a few bugfixes too.
download.png
download.png (12.53 KiB) Viewed 755 times
I've removed the installer, because quite frankly it's just too much hassle to get it to work, and each time a new version of Visual Studio comes out, the old installer breaks. Also, the dev500 and run500 executables are much larger than before. This is because I've changed the way I am packaging the files, using ILMerge rather than RPX to package the DLLs with the executables. I guess the former doesn't compress the libraries. The upside is that it will hopefully remove ADRIFT being flagged as a virus with certain security software packages.

Sorry it's taken so long to get this version out!
ADRIFT Developer developer.
dtomasi

Re: 5.0.36 out now

Post by dtomasi »

Hi.

I just tried to download 5.0.36. Running Windows 10 on a Dell laptop. My McAfee anti-virus is telling me the that executable files download is dangerous and contains viruses, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs. Can I just ignore the warning?

Thanks,
Dave
Denk

Post by Denk »

dtomasi wrote:Hi.

I just tried to download 5.0.36. Running Windows 10 on a Dell laptop. My McAfee anti-virus is telling me the that executable files download is dangerous and contains viruses, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs. Can I just ignore the warning?

Thanks,
Dave
Yes, it is safe. Unfortunately, false positives have become standard for small software developers. :nerves:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
NickyDude

Post by NickyDude »

Wow! That's awesome! I thought this was abandoned. Thanks Campbell.
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
Denk

Post by Denk »

Great news! :D
However, there are currently some problems:

1. The Standard Library bug (PutObjectsInsideOthers - restriction error (ID 19030)) has not been fixed as stated. You have probably included the wrong standard library file.

2. Online play: Music isn't playing anymore when playing online (try e.g. Museum Heist)

(3) If music is a problem, perhaps also graphics? (I haven't tested that)
EDIT: At least the v35-game "Treasure Hunt in the Amazon" has fine graphics when playing online, but the music is gone.

A few comments:
Campbell wrote:I've removed the installer, because quite frankly it's just too much hassle to get it to work, and each time a new version of Visual Studio comes out, the old installer breaks.
If this makes life easier for you, it is a good choice, since ADRIFT 5 is still in need of quite a few bugfixes. :)

Campbell wrote:Also, the dev500 and run500 executables are much larger than before. This is because I've changed the way I am packaging the files, using ILMerge rather than RPX to package the DLLs with the executables. I guess the former doesn't compress the libraries. The upside is that it will hopefully remove ADRIFT being flagged as a virus with certain security software packages.
Hopefully, this will improve things on average. But judging by dtomasi's post, it may be more or less the same(?)
Earlier today my Bitdefender complained about v35 exe-files so I am curious to see if exe-files generated by v36 are also regarded as threats.
The Bash Saga:
NickyDude

Post by NickyDude »

AVG flags this as a virus and won't let me run it. :(
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (15.83 KiB) Viewed 700 times
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
Denk

Post by Denk »

NickyDude wrote:AVG flags this as a virus and won't let me run it. :(
The good thing is that AVG are looking into it. Ironically, the virus programs were getting to know the v35-files and now some of them has to get to know the v36-files now.

I don't think a virus-program is any good unless it quarantines potential threats and it is possible to free the files again and exclude them from future virus-scans. The free version of Bitdefender can do that, so I recommend to use that one. And it seems to know dev500.exe and run500.exe, only when I converted my games into exe-files does it complain, and as mentioned above, these files can be excluded from virus-scans.
The Bash Saga:
Campbell
Site Admin

Post by Campbell »

Hmm, that’s frustrating. I can go back to using RPX if it’s still being flagged as a potential virus. I guess we’ll have the problem with any packager. The reason is because I package the DLLs into the executable so it’s a single file to make distribution easier (particularly important when making standalone games), and I guess that must be a common practice for viruses.
ralphmerridew

Post by ralphmerridew »

I tried building from source, and when I downloaded the Infragistics library, my AV complained about it. (I was able to able to build and run the Mono version of the runner.)

Maybe that's triggering the AV. What does that Infragistics library do, and can you remove it from the system?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
Denk

Post by Denk »

Just ran a few tests with Bitdefender. v36 does not behave better or worse than v35. Bitdefender doesn't have problems with dev500.exe or run500.exe. I also tried to create some ADRIFT game exe-files. Not all were regarded as threats. It might be a coincidence, but the game with graphics and music was regarded as a threat, whereas the game with no graphics and sound was not regarded as a threat.
The Bash Saga:
R2T1

Post by R2T1 »

Thanks Campbell.
Does this version incorporate the updated library from Saabie? Or do I still need to change it manually before starting a new project?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Just letting you all know that I have written Campbell and told him about the issues with V.36.
So no need for the rest of you to mail or pm him :wink:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

Excellent news another update!! Thanks Campbell :D :Thanks:
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

I did some testing with the bug fix for updating location and object properties and happy to say no problems there. It works great and i'm loving the search function for looking for properties. Even changing a property condition ie. "This property will only appear if the following is true" to another condition it updates with no issues.

However with "Non Mandatory" properties it is a different story. When creating my test demo, i made a simple mistake of accidentally choosing the wrong type for a property eg. objects instead of location and after creating the new property i went back in and corrected it, changing it to location property, but this new property did not show up in locations property tab after the change. Its not in any of the Objects either, which might of been the case in the old version. Even if a new location is created that corrected property still doesn't show up. I will make a bug report for this. At any rate Mandatory properties are the ones that were affected the most before, at least with this issue i can just delete the property and create a new one. This was NOT a mandatory property so is unrelated to the new update. However it appears reloading the project updates it.
Campbell
Site Admin

Post by Campbell »

The audio issue looks to be changes implemented in browsers, particularly Chrome, which prevents auto play. I have a workaround, but it might take me a little while to fix.

And yep, you’re right, I didn’t attach the latest library, will do so on next update.