5.0.36 out now

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website
NickyDude

Re: 5.0.36 out now

Post by NickyDude »

Windows 10 - 64bit.

I'm hesitant to turn off my virus checker (which I've used for years) just in case. Like I mentioned I never had trouble downloading Adrift before, even V5.0.36.3 I downloaded no trouble.
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
Denk

Post by Denk »

Perhaps it didn't like V5.0.36.4 because (unlike V5.0.36.1-3) it has an installer. And because it didn't like V5.0.36.4 it has blacklisted the ADRIFT site. The previous version with an installer is V5.0.35.3 which has been around for 4 years, so antivirus-software has learned to trust V5.0.35.3. Just guessing.

Anyway, false positives are becoming more and more common, so you really need controllable antivirus-software if you are making games nowadays. Perhaps AVG is controllable(?) so you can remove adrift.co from the blacklist(?)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
NickyDude

Post by NickyDude »

Oh dear.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (58.78 KiB) Viewed 451 times
NickyDude

Post by NickyDude »

I'll happily remove Adrift from the blacklist as soon as Campbell gives the all clear. :)
Denk wrote:Perhaps it didn't like V5.0.36.4 because (unlike V5.0.36.1-3) it has an installer. And because it didn't like V5.0.36.4 it has blacklisted the ADRIFT site. The previous version with an installer is V5.0.35.3 which has been around for 4 years, so antivirus-software has learned to trust V5.0.35.3. Just guessing.

Anyway, false positives are becoming more and more common, so you really need controllable antivirus-software if you are making games nowadays. Perhaps AVG is controllable(?) so you can remove adrift.co from the blacklist(?)
Denk

Post by Denk »

That's okay. Sometimes Campbell do not answer for a long time, so I just want to give an example: You have probably still an ADRIFT version on your pc (V5.0.36.3?). You can scan it, and I guess AVG will say that it is safe. Then open a taf-file and export it as a Windows Executable. The exe-file that ADRIFT just created is regarded as infected by "gen:Variant.Bulz.46837" says BitDefender. But how can the exe-file created by a safe program be infected? It can't. It is a false positive. Luckily, I can go to quarantined files and tell BitDefender to restore the file. Anyway, I hope you get an answer from Campbell.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Campbell
Site Admin

Post by Campbell »

Win32:Malware-gen is the term AVG uses to say it thinks the file is suspicious, but that doesn't match any known threat. I guess, because the download is (a) new, and therefore unfamiliar to the virus checkers, (b) coming from a small website which doesn't have HTTPS (because certificates cost money), and (c) is an executable which packages DLLs, a technique most likely used by viruses also, make it flag positive in various checkers.

(a) will disappear in time once the release has been around for longer and the virus software realise there is no threat. You can help here, by reporting the file as a false positive.
(b) I would like to improve if I can. I might find somewhere else to host the downloads and just link to them rather than them coming directly from http://www.adrift.co
(c) I can't really change this.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Post by Campbell »

Lumin wrote:I didn't read this entire thread so maybe it's been brought up, but trying new games (such as 1.2 of Skybreak) with the online player gives this error:

It works fine when dismissed, at least in Skybreak's case. But with the online play being how most people are experiencing new games it's not a good look.
Apologies, I've fixed this now. I hadn't updated WebRunner with the latest patch of 5.0.36.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
NickyDude

Post by NickyDude »

*sigh* Still getting all kinds of warnings from AVG.

Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (22.14 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Looks like I won't be installing ADRIFT for a while.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I get so confused when I see people using something that's not Malwarebytes.

Just, why would anyone do that. So weird.
R2T1

Post by R2T1 »

NickyDude wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:06 am *sigh* Still getting all kinds of warnings from AVG.

Looks like I won't be installing ADRIFT for a while.
AVG and others all give false positives when something it does not know about in its database comes along. I've never used AVG since they merged/bought out/taken over by AVAST a few years ago. Not worth all the angst.

Just turn off AVG to allow the install and turn it back on afterwards if you must.

Personally, I just use Windows defender as according to all I have read, it does as good if not better job without all the overheads.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

I run Windows Defender & TotalAV the only one giving me the warning was the Windows Defender. I ran the new update through TotalAV and it found nothing.
So I'm pretty much ok with using the new version of Adrift.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
NickyDude

Post by NickyDude »

Just turn off AVG to allow the install and turn it back on afterwards if you must.
I do, but soon as I turn it back on it gives me loads of warnings as in my previous post.
Lakanar

Post by Lakanar »

Hmm, I turned off AVG for the install then turned it back on and it didn't give me issues. I wonder why.
rotter

Post by rotter »

Well, I can now longer download Adrift from this site without the anti-virus going mad. Also my hosting company are complaining about viruses, when I try and put a copy on my site.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
NickyDude

Post by NickyDude »

What differences have you made codewise between V5.0.35 and V5.0.36 Campbell? AVG had no trouble with previous versions of ADRIFT.