ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

InsideADRIFT Summer Competition 2008 - the announcement

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website

Postby KFAdrift » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:47 pm

Background

The InsideADRIFT Summer Competition is open for any unreleased, but complete, Adrift games. Competition entries must be in by 1 July 2008 with judging taking place in the following month.

Prizes

The following prizes are on offer to those entering the competition:

1st prize of forty UK Pounds
2nd prize of twenty five UK Pounds
3rd prize of fifteen UK Pounds

Prizes to be paid via PayPal or as an Amazon voucher as decided by the winner.

Rules for this competition

1. Sound or graphics are allowed. Use of any copyright material is only allowed subject to clearance being obtained from the copyright holder.
2. Games may be passworded. If they are the password must be sent to the organiser
3. Naturally enough the games should be a completely original work, although parody is allowed.
4. Authors may enter no more than two games in the competition
5. Discussion of entries is allowed, but authors should not actively canvass for support. This does not stop you using beta testers.
6. The author can provide help directly to players if they request it.
7. You may create a website to support your game(s) with information and background.
8. Contributors may also be judges, but must not judge their own entries.
9. There must be at least four entries in the event or that competition is void.

Entry and judging
All entries should be sent to me at comp@insideadrift.org.uk by 2000 BST <s>Tuesday 1 July 2008</s> Sunday 6 July 2008.Judging will be open to all subject to the competition rules. Each game will be marked out of 10 (0 = a total waste of time, 10 = brilliant, outstanding, superb) Judging to be completed by 2000 BST Thursday 31 July 2008. Results to be posted as soon as possible after that.

Edited By KFAdrift on 1214936244
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby djchallis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:14 pm

It's tempting to enter my game into that, but I think I'll go for the IFcomp & get told how crap it is. Besides, the summer will really help.
Good luck to all entrants though! If I've got some spare time I look forward to judging them.
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby Lumin » Wed May 21, 2008 3:43 am

So does anyone plan to actually enter this? It's a little depressing that there's only been one response in three months....
Currently working on: Open World. Choose your path. Be a hero! Or an alchemist, tailor, butcher, baker, candlestick maker...
Lumin

Postby KFAdrift » Wed May 21, 2008 6:27 am

Lumin, how could you go and encourage people to enter and win the prize money that is on offer? Are you trying to bankrupt me?
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Cowboy » Wed May 21, 2008 12:32 pm

KFAdrift wrote:Lumin, how could you go and encourage people to enter and win the prize money that is on offer? Are you trying to bankrupt me?

Is that possible? :cool:
I thought you had put every single penny you own on the Adrift V.5 ... :haha:
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Cowboy

Postby Lumin » Wed May 21, 2008 7:26 pm

KFAdrift wrote:Lumin, how could you go and encourage people to enter and win the prize money that is on offer? Are you trying to bankrupt me?

I'm not trying to bankrupt you! I'm just trying to get people to enter so we can go ahead with the contest so I can win so I can afford to put gas in my car. :( <---God I love this emoticon, it's just soooo pitiful, how can anyone say no to a face like that? ;)

Anyway I've got a brilliant plan, I'm going to enter two games, one will actually be playable and the other will just consist of an intro screen that says 'lol fartz'. Then I've just got to convince one other person to open up the generator and type asfsgdhvagf or something and send it in to you, twice, and tada! Four entries and I have won the contest yay!

:thanks: :bravo: :thanks:

Edited By Lumin on 1211398020
Currently working on: Open World. Choose your path. Be a hero! Or an alchemist, tailor, butcher, baker, candlestick maker...
Lumin

Postby rotter » Wed May 21, 2008 9:18 pm

It is not people entering the comp so much as not enough people playing and voting.

It was the Summer Comp in 2004 that got me started on the ADRIFT path. It was the path that lead me to 10th place in the IFComp the other year. Without the Summer Comp I might still be writing my first ADRIFT game now.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Mystery » Fri May 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Anyone going for it? I only saw this last night and not sure I could get something in on the tiny amount of time I have free...but maybe with a little arm twisting...
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby Lumin » Sat May 24, 2008 2:01 am

Mystery wrote:...but maybe with a little arm twisting...

Do you mean that in a literal sense? Because I could do that if it'd get a game out of you. Seems like it'd just make it harder to type though... ;)

I'd say that I'm definitely entering, but I've said that before so I doubt anybody'd believe me at this point.
Lumin

Postby Mystery » Sat May 24, 2008 2:13 am

Same here. And I have the ability to sprout new limbs when one gets twisted. If only I used them for good instead of evil.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby rotter » Sat May 24, 2008 5:38 am

Well, it doesn't have to be a big game. It is usually the smaller games that do better anyway.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Dannymac247 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm going to take a shot at having a new game up in time for the comp. I mean, why not? It assures that folks will play the thing, and I might get free money! (Please don't ask me to think of the prize money in terms of hours I put into the thing, though...)

Hey, this other comp people keep talking about... is there a reason I couldn't enter my game in both?
Dannymac247

Postby Lumin » Wed May 28, 2008 11:08 pm

The only other comp I know of that's going on right now is the one Cowboy is running for people still using the unregistered version of ADRIFT.

Even if you fall into that category, the deadline is on June 1st, so at this point you'd probably do better aiming for the Summer Comp. It's easily possible to write a smallish game in a month...and while you may be able to write one in three days, that would be cutting it pretty close and not give you any time for beta-testing, bug-fixing etc.

Also, as far as entering both with the same game:
The InsideADRIFT Summer Competition is open for any unreleased, but complete, Adrift games.

The only one I know of that accepts already released games is the End of the Year comp...

Edited By Lumin on 1212016237
Lumin

Postby TDS » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm entering for sure so that makes at least one entry. Three more definite entries to go...
TDS

Postby Sprite » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Ahh! only just saw this. Why aren't more people entering! Woohoo! :D
Do you know who I am?!

I've forgotten...
Sprite

Next

Return to News and Announcements