ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

New Comp for non-registered Adrift users - Run by our very own Cowboy - Yehaa

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website

Postby KFAdrift » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:53 pm

Damn!
Having read the post from Burblesnot in the forum I firmly believe that it’s time to give the non-registered user competition another go.
Not only did his post move me to tears (of laughter) but I’ve noticed that quite a few new comers has entered the scene lately.
So now it’s official:
The non-registered “Spring ting” has been launched:

The competition runs from now and till April 1st and it is for all non-registered users of Adrift.
Since I’m so lousy at making rules I’ve “stolen” the rules from another competition and changed them a bit. I hope no one will clobber me for it.

Rules for this competition

* The author can use Adrift Version 4.0 unregistered or the game to be written with Adrift Version 3.90 which is available as freeware
* All entries must be accompanied by a walkthrough (if not the author must be prepared to supply one on request). It can be a simple transcript from the runner. This must give the text that will allow a player to complete the game, from beginning to end, following the details given
* File sizes are unlimited (within the restrictions of the shareware version of course)
* Games may be passworded, but the organizer prefers them not to be so that others can learn from the techniques used.
* Games must not contain content of an offensive adult nature.
* Naturally enough the games should be a completely original work, although parody is allowed.
* No more than two entries will be accepted from each contributor.
* There must be at least three entries or the competition is void.

Entry:
All entries should be sent to me at Rosenloev.1@gmail.com by no later than 23:59 GMT Wednesday 1st of April 2009.

Judging:
Volunteer judges will be needed. If you want to give it a go, please send an e-mail to the address above with the title Judge.

Give me a hand here. Let’s get this thing rolling…

And the prize is . . . a nice crisp new Adrift registration valid for version 4 and beyond paid for by Cowboy.

In addition KF will add a second Adrift registration for the second place entrant if there are five or more entries.

Edited By KFAdrift on 1232749296
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Burblesnot » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Yeehaw cowpokes! Yesssir and Auyuh! Here at the Burblesnot ho-down, we've got something we like to call, 'Participation'!
Yep yepperenio! Kinda along them there lines o' 'vote 'er die', but nobody votes! Or dies hopefully...Who knows? I don't !
So heck, hell, and hades all wrapped up in a saddleback and jerked like my uncle, let's get this show on the road!

(Yeah....I made a game. It's a bad game. You will hate me and possibly yourself and your parents. But I'm not afraid of your judgment! I'm not afraid of your opinions! Please don't hate me, I'll do anything for approval, anything! Even that. Yeah, you know what. That. I'll do it. I'll do it till it snaps off. Yeah, yeah I will.)
The things I've seen...Clthuluths attacking Neko warships off the coast of Japan, the deadly twinkle of board raids and thread sages deep in the black of night. All these things and more. And now, time. Time to *FAP*

4chan.org /b/
Bash.org
{ifreality=1setvalue=false,ifreality=0setvalue=false}
Burblesnot

Postby justahack » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:37 am

Hello,

I submitted a game as well just now, but I have a question. The rules say that there needs to be three entries or the competition becomes void. Also, that a contributor can submit, at most, two entries.

So, does that mean that the competition can still go on if there are only two contributors, provided one contributor submits two entries?

If that's the case, then I might work on a second entry since I was indecisive about which of the few games I wanted to write first, earlier in the competition.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Shadehunter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:28 am

Hi!

Brand new to the forum, and relatively new to Adrift as a whole - though I've done a fair amount of poking about with the engine prior to registering here. Having read through just about everything available and tried out a fair number of the adventures uploaded to the site, I think it's about time I cracked on and did something substantial.

I'm over on the dingy southwest pinnacle of merry England, and actually almost purchased the program outright the other day. Sadly, our atrocious exchange rate against the dollar made me think twice - but less sadly, this does mean that on browsing the forum and finding this competition I am most certainly interested in having a crack at the illustrious grand prize.

Now it's down to whether I make a complete-able 'taster' version of the game I've halfway planned out in my head, or come up with something shorter and sweeter by design in time for the deadline. Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, consider me your third competitor thus far, unless others are lurking silent in the woodwork to ambush us with their earth-shatteringly awesome creations. Time will tell!
Shadehunter

Postby justahack » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:57 pm

I had another question, actually. I just noticed I have a minor bug in my submission. It isn't at all game breaking, and you would never notice it if you played through it.

But, are there any rules on resubmitting the same game to fix bugs before the deadline, or do the reviews of the game happen as they are submitted?

It's alright either way to me.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Cowboy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:07 am

justahack wrote:Hello,

I submitted a game as well just now, but I have a question. The rules say that there needs to be three entries or the competition becomes void. Also, that a contributor can submit, at most, two entries.

So, does that mean that the competition can still go on if there are only two contributors, provided one contributor submits two entries?

If that's the case, then I might work on a second entry since I was indecisive about which of the few games I wanted to write first, earlier in the competition.

No worries... (or at least not yet ;) )
I've had two games sent to my mailbox already, and at least two more people has indicated that they would submit games.
So I would say that there's a good chance of the competition to go through.

As to your question, I personally, would say that there had to be three different persons entering the competition. The number of games you commit only adds to your chances of winning.
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Cowboy

Postby justahack » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:36 am

Ok, I'll proofread it once more to make sure there aren't any more typos then I'll submit it.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
justahack

Postby Cowboy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:56 am

justahack wrote:I had another question, actually. I just noticed I have a minor bug in my submission. It isn't at all game breaking, and you would never notice it if you played through it.

But, are there any rules on resubmitting the same game to fix bugs before the deadline, or do the reviews of the game happen as they are submitted?

It's alright either way to me.

There is nothing saying that you can't change or improve your game.
You just have to make sure that it is submitted no later than Apil 1st 23:59

As a matter of fact no game will be judged before then, so people might as well use the time and polish their game, beta testing it and whatever is needed.
Cheers
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby madquest8 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:53 pm

The deadline is April fools day ?

...are you telling the truth ? LOL
madquest8

Postby Cowboy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:35 pm

madquest8 wrote:The deadline is April fools day ?

...are you telling the truth ? LOL

:p
That is for me to know and for you to find out! ;)
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby Ringhawk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:57 am

Wow, I haven't looked into or used Adrift for over 3 years. This incentive of a registered copy may just get me to learn it again and finish a game heh..
Ringhawk

Postby Cowboy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:26 pm

Ringhawk wrote:Wow, I haven't looked into or used Adrift for over 3 years. This incentive of a registered copy may just get me to learn it again and finish a game heh..

Well...
Get going then.... :p
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby Ringhawk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:11 am

Have a question. Im making a game in adrift 3.90 for the comp. A problem i have is i have a task "examine weapon" or "examine weapons". The problem is if the player types x weapon instead it says nothing special. Even though x and examine are supposed to be synonyms, even if i go to advanced and make them synonyms. Is this a fault of 3.90. So will i have to go through the effort to add "x weapon" etc.. to the task also
Ringhawk

Postby Cowboy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:13 am

Ringhawk wrote:Have a question. Im making a game in adrift 3.90 for the comp. A problem i have is i have a task "examine weapon" or "examine weapons". The problem is if the player types x weapon instead it says nothing special. Even though x and examine are supposed to be synonyms, even if i go to advanced and make them synonyms. Is this a fault of 3.90. So will i have to go through the effort to add "x weapon" etc.. to the task also

I'm not sure.. It's been ages since I used the 3.90.
If you take your question to the Adrift help section, or the discussion thread you might be able to get an answer....
Cheers
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
Cowboy

Postby Shined42 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:44 am

Hi,

I am a newbie, but a friend of mine introduced me to this site awhile ago and I've been perusing and really enjoying the different adventures. I've always been a fan of text-based games. Although everyone complains about it... Douglas Adams HHGttG game was loads of funsies.

Anyway, I thought this competition looked like fun. I don't really expect to win since I'm so new, but I'd just like to submit my entry and give it a try :)
Shined42

Next

Return to News and Announcements