ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

At what cost?

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website

At what cost?

Postby Campbell » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:05 pm

I have decided to take the plunge, and offer ADRIFT 5 for ***free***.

There are several reasons for doing this. These include the release of Inform 7, which is easier to use than it's predecessor (although still not a patch on ADRIFT!) and makes it simpler for non-programmers to get started with. Also with Quest becoming free it increases the number of no-pay alternatives, making the decision of which system to use somewhat more difficult. In addition, a large proportion of the ADRIFT user-base are minors who do not have easy access to online payments.

I really think ADRIFT 5 has the potential to become a major player in the IF world - but only at the right price. It is by far the easiest system to use, and has been for some time. Now at least, that ease of use will be open to everyone.

The first free version will be 5.0.19. I don't anticipate this will be ready for release for a good few weeks yet however.

Q. So will ADRIFT 4 also become free?

A. Well, no. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, I would have to modify the code and create a new release. Secondly, I would very much like to encourage users of v3.9 and v4.0 to move onto v5.0 to take advantage of the improved parser, map and, well, everything really.

Q. I have just registered. Can I have my money back?

A. No, sorry. I do apologise if you have very recently paid the registration fee - there's always going to be a cut off point, regardless of when that is. However, I still think the registration cost is very good value for money. I will also be adding a 'Donate' button to the website, and I would like to think that anyone who enjoys the software and uses it on a regular basis would want to reward me for all my hard work.

This has been a big decision to make, and I hope it is the right one. But I also believe it will encourage a good number of new users to the system, and that can never be a bad thing.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: At what cost?

Postby BlueMaxima » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 pm

Congratulations on making such a hard decision. Will look forward to 5.0.19. Just fix up every little bug in that list and we'll be good to go ;)

PS: will people who have registered already get anything at all? Or just a thank you for support? :P
BlueMaxima

Postby David Whyld » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Good move.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:38 pm

I hope it pays off...
I'm glad you decided on the donate button though....
Where are you going to announce it?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby KFAdrift » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Really hope that you get the support of the whole community with this and those who have registered don't get upset as we have all had the use of a good system. Guess we need to look for a bit of a re-launch into the wider IF world.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby NickyDude » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Good luck with this. :|

I wouldn't have done this personally as I would want something for all the hard work I'd put into it, whether or not others are free. I'd probably have brought the fee right down and may be put more into free version though so people could get a good feel for it. I do hope that this doesn't mean that you get disheartened and give up because that would be a shame. :cry:

I will also be adding a 'Donate' button to the website,

I would have added it right inside the Developer. :peep:
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Christinamari » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:19 pm

I just installed ADRIFT 5 on my laptop to start writing again, after years of not doing so (I'm who used to be called a long time ago Chenshaw, if anyone remembers me!), decided to register again for the forum, and saw this. What is funny is that I was just thinking, after all these years (must be about 6) seemed like you would have the right to charge me for an update. And now it's going totally free! I have to say, I would certainly be happy to donate, and will do once you get your newest release out there.
Coming back to ADRIFT after a long hiatus.
Christinamari

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:22 pm

I would have added it right inside the Developer. :peep:

That's a clever idea.... :bravo:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi there Chenshaw..
And welcome back.. Of course I remember you (I went by Cowboy earlier)
I hope you'll stay and have some great fun with the new V.5
It's awesome :yeah:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby KFAdrift » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Welcome back Chenshaw, always good when a drifter returns to the fold, and at such an important moment.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:05 pm

NickyDude wrote:Good luck with this. :|

I wouldn't have done this personally as I would want something for all the hard work I'd put into it, whether or not others are free.

I'm guessing the "something" Campbell gains will be the nice warm feeling of seeing new people try ADRIFT out now the registration fee is gone.

Of course, it'll also be interesting to see how many tightwads decide to use it now they no longer have to mortgage their house, rob a bank and sell their children into slavery to afford the absolutely whopping registration fee of, um, £18.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:00 pm

David Whyld wrote:

I wouldn't have done this personally as I would want something for all the hard work I'd put into it, whether or not others are free.

I'm guessing the "something" Campbell gains will be the nice warm feeling of seeing new people try ADRIFT out now the registration fee is gone.

Of course, it'll also be interesting to see how many tightwads decide to use it now they no longer have to mortgage their house, rob a bank and sell their children into slavery to afford the absolutely whopping registration fee of, um, £18.

YESSS!! I will now be able to buy my wife and 15 kids out of slavery :P
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby BlueMaxima » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:36 am

Po. Prune wrote:
David Whyld wrote:

YESSS!! I will now be able to buy my wife and 15 kids out of slavery :P

I'm just a head that rolls around pressing keys with my nose. I'll finally be able to get my limbs back! :P
BlueMaxima

Postby Christinamari » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:10 am

Ahhh. I'd missed this forum. Thanks for the welcome back guys. I'm getting to grips with V5 slowly but surely. It's way cool :) .

I suppose making the generator free means you'll get more people trying it out who are new to IF in general, so I can see the point of that. But what I wonder is, if it's free anyway - why not just make it open source? Is there a community (even if small!) who might want to develop and bug fix a program like this to take some of the strain?
Coming back to ADRIFT after a long hiatus.
Christinamari

Postby Campbell » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:30 am

Christinamari wrote:Awhy not just make it open source? Is there a community (even if small!) who might want to develop and bug fix a program like this to take some of the strain?
I have no plans to make it open source at this stage.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to News and Announcements