ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

5.0.24 out now!

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website

5.0.24 out now!

Postby Campbell » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:39 am

ADRIFT 5 release 24 is now available for download. There are two Windows downloads available. If you have not tried v5 yet, the easiest way is to download the full setup from http://www.adrift.co/files/ADRIFT5Setup.zip. If you already have a working version, you can download the files only version from http://www.adrift.co/files/ADRIFT5.zip. There is also a Linux version available from http://www.adrift.co/files/adrift-5.0.24.tar.gz. Please note that the Setup download from download.com may take a few days to update with the latest version, so you may want to use the mirror link.

The main highlights in this release are Customising fonts in Runner, and Location Contents, plus the normal set of bug fixes.

The full list of changes is:

Enhancements
Make Character.Held Recursive
Disable Runner Debugger From Within Developer
Customizing fonts
ListWorn/ListHeld
Object list within Locations

Bug Fixes
v4 Object Alternate Descriptions
Undo Doesn't Reset Properties
Posturing in a Location Fails
Single sound per channel
Sound looping doesn't work
Bracket Sequence errors playing v3.9 games
Grey square appears over graphics/map
Objects created with a key prefix are not recognised in functions or descriptions.
Problems with 2 (or more) functions is a description.
Player.Held.Count Doesn't take into Acount Containment
Funtions Not Displaying in Tasks
clicking scroll bar arrows 2x on conversation topics opens highlighted topic
Total Editing Time Quirk.
Error When Entering Variable Values in Restrictions.
%PopUpInput% for text requires player to input text in parentheses
Developer is randomly resetting my integer arrays to all zeroes between saves?
Trying to use <# #> with a %variable% inside does strange things
ReSet Task Priority.
Display Only Once in Text Overrides
Variable Arrays Cannot Access in Restrictions
Add the conversation actions dropdowns

As always, let me know if you find any major problems.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: 5.0.24 out now!

Postby adriftste » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:04 am

This is an excellent new build, thanks.
adriftste

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:36 am

Great stuff. Two thumbs up.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Campbell wrote:ADRIFT 5 release 24 is now available for download. If you already have a working version, you can download the files only version from http://www.adrift.co/files/ADRIFT5.zip.

I have always downloaded the full version, uninstalled the old version and then installed the new one. How do I use the "files only" version, do I just upzip the files and do a copy and paste?

Thanks.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Yep, just copy the files over the existing ones. The setup resets your library path back to the default which you might not necessarily want.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Campbell wrote:Yep, just copy the files over the existing ones. The setup resets your library path back to the default which you might not necessarily want.

Thanks. Do I copy all the files or just the developer & runner? In the past when I have done the full set-up, the first time I load an adventure file I have replied "Yes" when I got the pop-up about the library file being newer, should I have selected "No"?
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Yes, copy all the files over the existing ones. Some of them will be the same anyway. I don't think I updated the library at all for this release for example.

You'll be prompted whether you want to update your game with the latest info from the library if the library items are newer than your game ones. Generally it's a good idea to say Yes to this, unless you've customised the library tasks in your own game.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Campbell wrote:You'll be prompted whether you want to update your game with the latest info from the library if the library items are newer than your game ones. Generally it's a good idea to say Yes to this, unless you've customised the library tasks in your own game.

Do you mean like the "Remove before Drop" and "Remove before Put" tasks, which I don't like and have disabled? If I say "Yes", does this revert them to their original state?
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Yes. However, it would only import them from the library if they had changed since you modified yours. Whenever you start up ADRIFT, it does a compare of the library against your game and basically tries to pick the most recent version of any library task. The reason for this is so that any modifications or improvements to the library can be imported into your existing game.

If you don't want it doing this, or you have heavily customised the library, the easiest thing is to not copy the newer one over your existing one. Tools such as WinMerge are very good at comparing files so you can see if anything has changed. ADRIFT also gives the option to compare each item individually when you load up your game.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:14 pm

Campbell wrote:Yes. However, it would only import them from the library if they had changed since you modified yours. Whenever you start up ADRIFT, it does a compare of the library against your game and basically tries to pick the most recent version of any library task. The reason for this is so that any modifications or improvements to the library can be imported into your existing game.

If you don't want it doing this, or you have heavily customised the library, the easiest thing is to not copy the newer one over your existing one. Tools such as WinMerge are very good at comparing files so you can see if anything has changed. ADRIFT also gives the option to compare each item individually when you load up your game.

All that seems a bit too complicated for me! :?

I just checked and those two tasks are unchanged since I installed v.5.23, so I think it is safe to do a full install, rather than copy & paste.
Lazzah

Postby Po. Prune » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 am

Lazzah wrote:All that seems a bit too complicated for me! :?
I just checked and those two tasks are unchanged since I installed v.5.23, so I think it is safe to do a full install, rather than copy & paste.

I usually use the zip file and do the copy / paste thing, and it work fine for me. A little tricky the first couple of times, but as soon as you've got the hang of it it works like a charm.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby ElliotM » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 pm

I use 7-Zip to open the zip file, select all of the files at once, and then drag the files out so that Windows asks me if I want to replace the folders and files that have the same name. Its pretty easy to do once you get used to it, like Po said.
ElliotM

Postby Campbell » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:14 pm

I have an auto-updater on my to-do list which will make life much easier once done.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby saabie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:32 am

Norton 360 (SONAR) has just viciously attacked ADRIFT runner complaining that it performed "keystroke capture".
It put Run500.exe into quaranteen and i had to login as an administrator to get it back and exclude it from further attacks.
There may be something in the new click-on-word-to-add-to-command feature that it does not like.
Last edited by saabie on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
saabie

Postby Campbell » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:35 am

Urgh, how annoying. Could you fill in a report on the False Positive form at https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive please.
Campbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to News and Announcements