ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

5.0.25 out now!

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website

5.0.25 out now!

Postby Campbell » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:04 pm

ADRIFT 5 release 25 is now available for download. There are two Windows downloads available. If you have not tried v5 yet, the easiest way is to download the full setup from http://www.adrift.co/files/ADRIFT5Setup.zip. If you already have a working version, you can download the files only version from http://www.adrift.co/files/ADRIFT5.zip. There is also a Linux version available from http://www.adrift.co/files/adrift-5.0.25.tar.gz. Please note that the Setup download from download.com may take a few days to update with the latest version, so you may want to use the mirror link.

The main highlights in this release are Referenced Locations, Custom Directions, Find All and Auto-setup for restrictions.

The full list of changes is:

Enhancements
Display previous text when undoing
Stand/Get off objects before moving
Allow custom directions
High lighting folder containing "Find" object
Games should open in the runner, not the generator
%location% reference needed
Path of acitive window in status bar
FIND and FIND & REPLACE Functions
Auto set-up restrictions

Bug Fixes
OO functions fail to replace
Suspended events should not stop/restart
v4: Task actions containing | in expressions don't import
Character position ambiguous when in/on object spanning multiple locations
v4: Object must/not be hidden
Unlock object fails if no key
Double-clicking on destination link creates new link
Double-clicking map link leaves stranded exit
New General tasks should default to Repeatable
Changing case of key prefix causes duplicate key error
Memory problem on large adventures
Bad Argument error in conversations
Multiple conversation topic matching problem
Strange Output
New Style Functions Outpur Differs From Old Style
Password problems
Incorrect command conversions
Fix for "Bad function pcase" error for standard library task "Get Out of Object"
Setting property to %text%
Lock "Sort by Name"
Runner hangs on 'start transcript' if default file already exists
"Display Only Once" not reset on Restore
Action Variable Alphabetical Sort Issue

As always, let me know if you find any major problems.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: 5.0.25 out now!

Postby Driftwood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Nice one Campbell, I think I might have been one of the first to download.
:claps:
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
Driftwood

Postby Jin Sane » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Quite a large list of fixes and enhancements there. Way to go, dude.
Jin Sane

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:24 am

I uploaded 5.0.25.2 yesterday, which has a fix for the auto-restrictions bug, plus the exes are now digitally signed. I would recommend downloading this otherwise you may get errors when running tasks containing the auto restrictions.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:06 am

Campbell wrote:I uploaded 5.0.25.2 yesterday, which has a fix for the auto-restrictions bug, plus the exes are now digitally signed. I would recommend downloading this otherwise you may get errors when running tasks containing the auto restrictions.

I assume the ADRIFT5setup.zip and ADRIFT5.zip files have both been updated with v.5.25.2? I just deleted ADRIFT v.5.25.1 from my PC and downloaded ADRIFT5setup.zip and did a re-install. However, I didn't get the pop-up about installing new items and, after creating a new general task, the "referenced object must exist" default message is still displaying as "Sorry, I don't know what object you are trying to [verb]".

How can I tell what version of ADRIFT is installed? The splash screens just show 5.25.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:12 am

Yes, the same zips should now contain the new exes. If you right click on the exe and select Properties > Details, it should give the full version. It should also show the Digital Signature.

It's possible your browser may have cached the download, and is just giving you the same file.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:24 am

Campbell wrote:Yes, the same zips should now contain the new exes. If you right click on the exe and select Properties > Details, it should give the full version. It should also show the Digital Signature.

It is definitely 5.0.25.2. What should the restriction message for "referenced object must exist" be? Did you update the library file?
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:44 am

I didn't change the restriction message for that, it should still be "Sorry, I'm not sure which object you are trying to test.". I did change the Referenced Object must be visible to the Player character to "%CharacterName% can't see %object%.Name!" tho.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:08 am

Campbell wrote:I didn't change the restriction message for that, it should still be "Sorry, I'm not sure which object you are trying to test.". I did change the Referenced Object must be visible to the Player character to "%CharacterName% can't see %object%.Name!" tho.

Well, it is still displaying as "Sorry, I'm not sure which object you are trying to [verb].", which obviously doesn't look right.

If you don't mind me asking, why change it from what it originally was, i.e. "Sorry, I'm not sure which object you are referring to?"? That covered everything without giving away the fact that [verb] is a part of your game.
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:10 am

I'm confused. So if there's a banana in the game but you haven't yet come across it, and you type "squish banana", what is wrong with saying "Sorry, I'm not sure which object you are trying to squish."?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:39 am

Campbell wrote:I'm confused. So if there's a banana in the game but you haven't yet come across it, and you type "squish banana", what is wrong with saying "Sorry, I'm not sure which object you are trying to squish."?

I meant the verb actually, but point taken. As I said, the message is appearing in the restriction as "Sorry, I'm not sure which object you are trying to [squish].", so one has to remember to remove the brackets if you want it to display correctly. Is this how it is intended to be?
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:52 am

Ah, gotcha. Are you defining the command as "[squish] %object%" rather than "squish %object%"?

It takes a very basic approach to guessing the verb by taking anything before the first mention of %object%.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Campbell wrote:Ah, gotcha. Are you defining the command as "[squish] %object%" rather than "squish %object%"?

Yes, I have got into the practice of putting brackets around the words in the command line. I will have to try to break myself of that habit! (slap wrist)
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 pm

If you stick an item up I'll tweak it in the next release to strip off any brackets.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to News and Announcements