ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

WebRunner graphics

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website

WebRunner graphics

Postby Campbell » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:51 am

WebRunner now supports graphics.

There seems to be a slight glitch, in that it isn't scrolling new images up properly as if they're just being loaded, presumably due to the fact that the browser doesn't know the amount to scroll before the image has loaded. Once cached, this seems ok, with the exception of Chrome, that doesn't seem to scroll properly afterwards. I haven't found a solution for that yet, but all the other browsers seem ok.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: WebRunner graphics

Postby Lazzah » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Campbell wrote:WebRunner now supports graphics.

:Thanks: :D :bravo: :claps:
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Jin Sane » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Great work as always, dude.
Jin Sane

Postby Campbell » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 am

It did occur to me that perhaps the graphics would be better in a fixed window, rather than displayed inline with the main text. What are people's views on this? I guess the downside would be, that unlike the main Runner app, the layout can't be manipulated, and so the graphics window may well be the wrong shape.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 am

I would prefer graphics to be shown in a fixed window...
I like to leave clues in the picture so have the picture in a fixed window will be a great advantage.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:03 am

I prefer graphics shown inline with the text. If you have them in a separate window, and I have the window hidden, then I won't even see the graphic. And yes, I play by default with the window hidden.
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 am

Problem with inline graphic is that the player would have to scroll down constantly to see the picture.
Like I mentioned earlier, in some of my games I use graphics and there are clues hidden in the pictures. For instance a hidden door that is not mentioned in the text or a shady figure hiding behind a curtain.
When the player plays the game and types in his/her commands the picture would scroll up as the bottom part is filled making the picture disappear.
Po. Prune

Postby Lazzah » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 am

Campbell wrote:It did occur to me that perhaps the graphics would be better in a fixed window, rather than displayed inline with the main text. What are people's views on this? I guess the downside would be, that unlike the main Runner app, the layout can't be manipulated, and so the graphics window may well be the wrong shape.

Exactly. Also the adventure might have a title page graphic - as in my games - which would look totally out-of-place in a separate window and spoil the presentation of the game. Could there not be a button to click for individual graphics which forces them to be displayed inline? I would not be bothered if the other graphics in my games were in a separate window - as long as the picture was not distorted - but the title page graphic MUST be inline with the text on the title page.
Last edited by Lazzah on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:40 am

That should be easy enough - I can add an attribute to the img tag to force inline. Could you add an enhancement request please?
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:53 am

Campbell wrote:That should be easy enough - I can add an attribute to the img tag to force inline. Could you add an enhancement request please?

Done. :Thanks:
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Problem with inline graphic is that the player would have to scroll down constantly to see the picture.
Like I mentioned earlier, in some of my games I use graphics and there are clues hidden in the pictures. For instance a hidden door that is not mentioned in the text or a shady figure hiding behind a curtain.
When the player plays the game and types in his/her commands the picture would scroll up as the bottom part is filled making the picture disappear.

How would people know that was intentional and not just bad game design? If something was visible in a picture that wasn't mentioned in the text, I'd assume the latter.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Like I mentioned earlier, in some of my games I use graphics and there are clues hidden in the pictures.

I tried this in "Fortress of Fear" in just one location as an experiment and was shot down in flames by my playtesters, they didn't like it at all. :cry:
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:34 pm

David Whyld wrote:How would people know that was intentional and not just bad game design? If something was visible in a picture that wasn't mentioned in the text, I'd assume the latter.
I think, as long as you make it very clear at the start that there may be clues in pictures that aren't mentioned in the text, it is fine. It all depends on what the rules are, and making sure they are clear.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Campbell wrote:I think, as long as you make it very clear at the start that there may be clues in pictures that aren't mentioned in the text, it is fine. It all depends on what the rules are, and making sure they are clear.

I did that and they still didn't like it! Typical IF players - they want everything on a plate! rofl
Lazzah

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:44 pm

The first Sierra Online games was made up that way. Although not a "real" text adventure, they managed to mix the story and the visual aspect quite nicely. King's Quest, you lead the guy around the screen but you had to type >look under stone etc in order to examine various things.
I do agree with Campbell that today it is probably wise to warn the player beforehand.
Po. Prune

Next

Return to News and Announcements