ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT Manual

Announcements about ADRIFT, this Forum, the website and anything else relevant.

For more information visit the main ADRIFT Website

ADRIFT Manual

Postby Campbell » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 pm

Due to overwhelming demand, I have started work on a "proper" manual for ADRIFT 5. There will be two versions - a context sensitive (i.e. it will be possible to go straight to the relevant section of the help directly from the application) offline version, and an online version.

You can see the online version in it's current state at http://help.adrift.co. Please remember that it is still under construction. However, I would welcome any feedback.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: ADRIFT Manual

Postby saabie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:35 am

I love the nice clear look of it, and the treeview index makes it very fast to navigate to the page you want.
Using the terms general function and expression function is good as I have never known what I should be calling the different types of function in ADRIFT.
But this has made me wonder about the term "object oriented function".
It is very long-winded, necessitating the abbreviation "OO" to try to shorten it.
It is also very much a programmers technical term that might sound daunting to non-technical people.
Perhaps a more ADRIFT-relevant name like "item function" or "property function" would be simpler.
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:24 am

saabie wrote:It is also very much a programmers technical term that might sound daunting to non-technical people.

I very much like the new manual but I do think it would be a good idea to provide a "Glossary of Terms" to explain what some of the technical terms mean. The first time someone mentioned a "disambiguation prompt" to me I had no idea what they were talking about.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:42 am

I added a glossary section - I just haven't added that definition yet.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:46 am

saabie wrote:this has made me wonder about the term "object oriented function".
It is very long-winded, necessitating the abbreviation "OO" to try to shorten it.
It is also very much a programmers technical term that might sound daunting to non-technical people.
Perhaps a more ADRIFT-relevant name like "item function" or "property function" would be simpler.
Yes, I agree, I will rename them.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:51 pm

It looks great Campbell. I don't know what else to say :wink:
This is what I've been longing for... that and a huge increase in my salary ... but one of two isn't that bad either. :yeah:
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby NickyDude » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:16 pm

saabie wrote:I love the nice clear look of it, and the treeview index makes it very fast to navigate to the page you want.
Using the terms general function and expression function is good as I have never known what I should be calling the different types of function in ADRIFT.
But this has made me wonder about the term "object oriented function".

I too notice it leant towards the more technical side of writing with things like 'child', 'parent', 'node' and "To use the value of a property in an expression or a text box, use a location function." I'm guessing manual writing isn't your strong point Campbell... 8)
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby reelyor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:15 pm

VERY nice!!
"Live well, Love much, Laugh often"

Working on: "Deperate Isle" and "Niki - An Adult Graphic Adventure"

reelyor@msn.com
Roy
reelyor

Postby Campbell » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:32 pm

NickyDude wrote:I'm guessing manual writing isn't your strong point Campbell... 8)
Thanks for that. You do know I'm busting a gut here...

The manual is based off the Wiki which has been round for some time. The reason I went for a wiki in the first place was so it could be a joint effort. If you don't like the way something is written or explained, please, re-write it to something more suitable!

Aaarggh
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:55 am

Campbell wrote:I added a glossary section - I just haven't added that definition yet.

Maybe you could move the glossary to the beginning of the manual where it is more noticeable? At the moment it is buried way down near the bottom of the tree. The reader might need to know what these terms are before they start looking for whatever section of the manual the wish to read. I would also give an example of a disambiguation prompt just to make sure they are fully aware of what you mean in you explanation of the term.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:07 am

If you look on Wikipedia, "Traditionally, a glossary appears at the end of a book and includes terms within that book that are either newly introduced, uncommon, or specialized.". I think this is the most sensible place for it. It's not difficult to find, and I daresay not everyone will need it.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:15 am

Campbell wrote:If you look on Wikipedia, "Traditionally, a glossary appears at the end of a book and includes terms within that book that are either newly introduced, uncommon, or specialized.". I think this is the most sensible place for it. It's not difficult to find, and I daresay not everyone will need it.

Point taken. :)
Lazzah

Postby NickyDude » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 pm

just want to say you're doing an awesome job on the manual! Image
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Campbell » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks, that means a lot! :-)
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to News and Announcements