ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Grandpa Rules (working title)

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Grandpa Rules (working title)

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:34 am

Being sick and tired of my grandkid totally engulfed in Fortnite I have decided to make a game in an attempt to show him that there are other things but Fortnite out there.
He's 10 years old, and he is also into football (soccer for our uneducated american friends :lol: )

The game will be in Danish and at the end there will be a secret word. When he has solved the game Grandpa will take him to Tivoli (an amusement park in Denmark, in case you didn't know) or some other great prize.

I'm currently thinking about a theme for the game. So if any of you have any ideas as to what might tickle a 10 year old, don't be shy. Lay it on me.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Grandpa Rules (working title)

Postby Lazzah » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:38 pm

I had heard of Fortnite but had no idea what it was all about, so I Googled it and had a look.....Pass! :haha:

How about a game where a famous footballer (whom your Grandson can choose) has had his football kit hidden in various parts of a football stadium (of the team your Grandson supports) by his team-mates. The PC - the footballer, played by your Grandson - has to find the items of kit (shorts, shirt, socks, boots and shinpads) and bring them back to the dressing room before the start of the game.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:07 pm

Lazzah wrote:I had heard of Fortnite but had no idea what it was all about, so I Googled it and had a look.....Pass! :haha:

How about a game where a famous footballer (whom your Grandson can choose) has had his football kit hidden in various parts of a football stadium (of the team your Grandson supports) by his team-mates. The PC - the footballer, played by your Grandson - has to find the items of kit (shorts, shirt, socks, boots and shinpads) and bring them back to the dressing room before the start of the game.

Not a bad idea. :yeah:
I'll ask him tomorrow when he comes over to visit. Problem is that he changes favourite as often as we change socks :wink: Maybe if I started the game with him having the option of entering his name? That way he could choose whichever footballer he favoures at the time.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:20 am

Well in fortnite you build things after collecting required resources like wood and steel etc. What about making a game that is a basic survival game- like being on a tiny island (4 locations) and he has to build a raft, fish and make a fire etc There could be a cave on the island. And a night and day, so the fire will have to be made during the day ready for night time. The game could be called...drum roll..Tonight...lol jk it could be called Stranded or something a little more interesting.

You could have basic commands like: make a stone axe and it will appear, make an axe etc. Then chop tree with axe (which increases the wood variable) etc. There could be a crafting table where it will have like Fire (5 Wood Required) so he will have to chop the tree 5 times.

There is sort of a game like this on mobiles and pc called Scribblenauts unlimited https://youtu.be/xmfpXtEC_gc?t=268 where you type in the name of something you think will fit the bill to meet the required problem to solve. MY nephew used to play this on my ipad. What was fun was thinking up what object you needed to solve the instruction given, like the tutorial in that video link- the objective was to wash the pig with something. Anyway i hope this helps.
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:40 pm

Have you come up with anything yet Prune?
DazaKiwi

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:48 am

DazaKiwi wrote:Have you come up with anything yet Prune?

Not quite.
All the suggestions so far has been really interesting and it's hard to make up my mind which one to choose. :?
But I'll get around to it eventually and then I'll let you know.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:44 am

I've thought about it a great deal. And although the Fortnite thingy sounds like something he would like I think I'm going to pass on it.
He's way to hooked on Fortnite and the idea is to try and get him away from it and show him that there are other things out there.
Lazzah's idea is the best one up till now. I want the game to be challenging and yet entertaining.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:21 am

P/o Prune wrote:Lazzah's idea is the best one up till now. I want the game to be challenging and yet entertaining.

Glad you like my idea. Another object you could add is the 'tracker vest', the black vest wore under the shirt which has a transmitter in it that sends info on the player's performance to the team doctor.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:36 am

Update 20 March.
I have decided that I'll go with a treasure hunt at the place where my grandson is placed (long story)
It's an old castle where the Danish King Frederik VII. lived with his wife Countess Danner. This is surroundings that Christian (my grandson) knows and can relate to. I am also using (with their permission) the names of his two favourite caretakers.
Christian and his best friend, Victor, will go treasure hunting in the old castle and they will meet a friendly ghost (not Casper) who will help them in their quest.

I thought it would be easy, but it's far from.
I have to create the puzzles in such a way that he can solve them without too much help from the grown-ups and I have to keep the language simpel so he doesn't loose interest.
On top of that I have to do it all in Danish, which is a far shot from making a game in English.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 am

Best of luck with that, PO.....but wouldn't it be much easier and quicker to teach him English? :haha: rofl

Then, if he got into playing IF, he could play lots of other games?
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:57 am

Lazzah wrote:Best of luck with that, PO.....but wouldn't it be much easier and quicker to teach him English? :haha: rofl

Then, if he got into playing IF, he could play lots of other games?

My wife is from the US, and so is he. So English shouldn't be a problem. We've had him since he was 7 (he just turned 10) so his Danish is far better than his English. :wink:
Apart from that, now that we have the Danish version of the developer, it's a great learning experience and hopefully we can get out to some Danish people and get them interested in IF too.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Return to W.I.P.