ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Climb Tree

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Re: Climb Tree

Postby rovarsson » Tue May 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Lumin, I agree wholeheartedly. If the solution of a puzzle doesn't work because the author didn't think of a verb, that can be annoying but understandable. If the author did think of that verb but chose to insist that the player uses his choice of wording, he's being a jerk. If the intent and the logic are there, the solution should work.
I'm talking about a situation where the player tries to use a certain object to repair, hmm..., a swing in a playground for instance. The author can prompt the player to think a bit further: "Yes, that's what you need to do, but come on, did you think I would let you sacrifice your wedding ring to close a chain? Well, I wouldn't, so try some other chainlink-like object." (in less author-intrusive words of course.)

(this message does not implie a guarantee for succes if anyone tries searching the entire game for a missing wedding ring...)
rovarsson

Re: Climb Tree

Postby rovarsson » Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 am

Each time I say the tavern is next, I open my game and realise there's something else to do first.

This time: implementing a sling to hurl pebbles at stuff or people. I made a sling-object and a satchel-object to hold the ammunition (i.e. pebbles).

-I do not think I will make an object 'pebble' or 'pebbles'. Instead I will make a General Task TAKE/GET PEBBLES (in a certain obvious location) and add an action to it: 'Set variable SatchelPebbles to 1' (some basic stuff like X PEBBLES and TAKE PEBBLE FROM SATCHEL will be handled with General Tasks, pointing the player to the relevant commands: LOAD and SLING)
-There is a LOAD SLING-task with action 'Set variable SlingLoaded to 1' and restriction 'Variable SatchelPebbles must be equal to 1'.
-And then there is a SLING PEBBLE AT %object%-task with restriction 'Variable SlingLoaded must be equal to 1'. When necessary for the game or just for fun, I will override this task (>SLING PEBBLE AT POLAR BEAR'S NOSEHAIR "You graze the bear's nosehair with a pebble, getting rid of an annoying drop of snot. The bear is very grateful.") and add an action 'Set variable SlingLoaded to 0'.

Thoughts, anyone?
rovarsson

Previous

Return to W.I.P.