ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Just a fairy tale

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Re: Just a fairy tale

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Lyricasylum wrote:Where's the link to download the adventure?

IF you are talking about my adventure JaFT (Just a Fairy Tale) it is still in the making, which is why it is placed under WIP (Work in progress) :wink:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lyricasylum » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:53 am

OK. I thought you might want feedback on what you have so far. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Lyricasylum

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:25 am

Update:
Now a staggering 83Kb. (watch out The0didactus, I'm gaining on you rofl )
Anyways. I have had the first part of the game beta tested (Thank you Lazzah) and is currently going through the transcript, correcting the thousand of errors that "Hawkeye" Lazzah has discovered. :whistle:
My PC has reached the witches' tower and I now have to figure out the best way to free the wizard. On with the thinking cap. :)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 am

It's been a while since the last update. This doesn't mean that I haven't been working on the game, but there has been so many other things that needed taken care of. I have applied to highest authorities that the day may be extended with minimum five hours. But I haven't heard back. :whistle:
Anyways. Just a Fairy Tale is progressing nicely. A few bumps on the road, the worst being getting a new computer and finding that I had to reinstall Adrift all over again.
Yesterday I finished the first ending of JaFT and I hope that, today, I'll be able to finish the second and hopefully the third as well. Then the game will be ready for beta testing.
When I speak of endings the fact of the matter is that the ending is the same, but there are three different approach to get there depending on what object the player is carrying and whether s/he gets caught or not.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rovarsson » Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 am

Good to hear you're progressing so well.
I intend to have a branching story in the midgame, also depending on wether or not the PC is carrying and/or wearing a certain object which determines if she gets caught or not. No idea how I will implement this yet, but those are worries for later.
The authorities are hoarding their extra hours. Perhaps they will let go of all of them at once, giving us 50 hr days for two or three years. Not sure if that would be a good thing.
rovarsson

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 17, 2020 8:13 am

First hurdle is over :D
I have finished the first ending of "Just a Fairy Tale". Two more to go, but that should be manageable within a foreseeable future.
Now, what would be the best approach. I need to have the game tested with all three endings. Should I send out a beta now, with instructions on how to run the game to get to the working ending? Or should I wait and not beta test until I have all three endings ready… Ending is probably not the correct phrase as the endings are all the same. It's the approach to the ending that differ.

Suggestions, please
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Sun May 17, 2020 8:42 am

P/o Prune wrote:First hurdle is over :D
I have finished the first ending of "Just a Fairy Tale". Two more to go, but that should be manageable within a foreseeable future.
Now, what would be the best approach. I need to have the game tested with all three endings. Should I send out a beta now, with instructions on how to run the game to get to the working ending? Or should I wait and not beta test until I have all three endings ready… Ending is probably not the correct phrase as the endings are all the same. It's the approach to the ending that differ.

Suggestions, please

Hi P/o, surely you need the game tested up to the endings? No good seeing if they work if there is anything to be corrected leading up to the finale. :whistle:

I am at your disposal for testing, as you know. :yeah:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 17, 2020 8:43 am

Lazzah wrote:
P/o Prune wrote:First hurdle is over :D

Suggestions, please

Hi P/o, surely you need the game tested up to the endings? No good seeing if they work if there is anything to be corrected leading up to the finale. :whistle:

I am at your disposal for testing, as you know. :yeah:

Sending you a PM explaining. I don't want to reveal everything. :wink: But the ending is the same. It's the approach to the ending that is different.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Sun May 17, 2020 11:00 am

P/o Prune wrote:I need to have the game tested with all three endings. Should I send out a beta now, with instructions on how to run the game to get to the working ending? Or should I wait and not beta test until I have all three endings ready… Ending is probably not the correct phrase as the endings are all the same. It's the approach to the ending that differ.

Suggestions, please

Unless you expect that the feedback from the testers might change the game significantly, I always recommend finishing the game completely, play it several times your self, attempting to behave like you don't know the solution to all puzzles, fix the bugs you then find and first then you send it off to the testers. You could mention to the testers, that there at some point are three paths to the ending and you would like if the tester could find them all. Once the tester is through the game, they might need a hint on how to find the others paths through the game.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:48 am

Isn't this just typical :|
You finish a game, send it out for beta testing, only to realize that there is a possible ending you hadn't taken into consideration. :x
Anyway, that's where I stand right now. The ending is in place, I just need a piece of advise on whether this is a good idea or not.
The player is standing in a room facing two doors. He must choose one of them. One will lead him to another room, and the other ... and here's the problem.
I have two options for the other door. I can either just let it lead to a room where the player has to solve a puzzle in order to get back to the room with the two doors so he can choose again. Or, I can let him transfer all the way back to the beginning of the game. Zero everything and let him start all over. I might add that this situation is very close to the end of the game.

Thoughts? :|
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:54 am

If I got right to the end of the game and was sent back to the start like that, I'd just UNDO and pick the other option.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:00 am

David Whyld wrote:If I got right to the end of the game and was sent back to the start like that, I'd just UNDO and pick the other option.

Not a bad argument, David. Thanks.
I wonder if there is a way to get around the undo command (just wondering)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:03 am

You can but I wouldn't advise it. You'll only annoy people. In the above example, if I was sent back to the start of the game and UNDO was disabled, I'd quit playing it.

If you create a task called UNDO and text "You can't do that", it'll override the default UNDO command.
David Whyld

Postby Denk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 am

I agree with David that you shouldn't disable UNDO (I think there exist very special situations where it makes sense but this is not one of them). I would normally SAVE before choosing one of two doors so that would be a problem too. If the chosen door is purely random, then I wouldn't regard it as a very good "puzzle". If you through some sort of puzzle can figure out the right door, you could e.g. make the player "SAY codeword" or something like that.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:48 pm

I wasn't planning on disabling the Undo command. I was just curious whether it was possible or not.
As for the doors. The result of choosing a door is not random. You have a choice and there's a clue which door to choose.
I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea sending the player all the back to square one. Being able to Undo a command never crossed my mind.

On a side note, I have just registered my intentions to enter the IF Comp 2020... :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to W.I.P.