ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Lost Coastlines

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Re: Lost Coastlines

Postby The0didactus » Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 am

If you name a location %char% (or whatever, with % around it)
and you create a text variable called %char%, the location will have the name of whatever the text inside the variable is.
You can then make an action that is like "set variable char = "A COOL MOUNTAIN RANGE" and the location will now read "A COOL MOUNTAIN RANGE"

That, plus arrays, is the magic secret here. Have an array like "A cool, A tall, A rocky, An ugly" and another array like "forest, jungle, mountain range, ocean" and now the command "set variable char = %Array1[RAND (1, 10)]%+%Array2[RAND (1, 20)]% will end up creating locations like "A ROCKY FOREST"

Now the lost coastlines system is much more sophisticated than this (because my pattern places jungles next to jungles, mountains next to mountains, etc) but that's really all there is to it.

The only downside is you need to make one of these actions for every single location in the whole game. In the case of Lost Coastlines that's hundreds of commands (and hundreds more to populate each location)
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Tue May 21, 2019 1:06 am

Really cool to see somebody pushing what ADRIFT can do in all these zany complicated ways, and I was happy you got working on Lost Coastlines again even for just a couple days. I know you said it's going to be a long time before you can touch it again, but you also said you'd use Python. And yet here we are. I know that deep down inside you really do want to make it in Adrift, and very soon, and also that you'll break and do it because you're all squishy and weak inside.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Tue May 21, 2019 5:16 am

The sole advantage ADRIFT has over python is the automapper, which for a game like this is nice bordering on essential
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (189.02 KiB) Viewed 179 times
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Tue May 21, 2019 7:07 am

At first glance at 2am that map totally appeared to contain a Methlover Rock. No doubt a mountain in Fantasy South Carolina.
Lumin

Previous

Return to W.I.P.