ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Superhero’s Sidekick

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Re: The Superhero’s Sidekick

Postby Denk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:59 pm

David Whyld wrote:I take it v5 doesn't have a secondary response for repeatable tasks and if you want a secondary response, you instead need to make a second task?
Since I have never worked with V4, I am not 100% sure what is meant by "secondary response". I guess V5 have generalized it to what is called "Alternative descriptions".

If you open a task and right click on the text box, you get the option of "Add Alternative Description". You can add as many alternative descriptions as you like. You can have restrictions for each, to control when each is displayed. Please note the choices: "append this to previous:" or "start description with:". If you right click on an alternative description, you can further more select "Only display once".

For a long time I have had the idea, that we should make a thread called something like "Getting Started with V5". It should discuss all the different things which seems to confuse newcomers to V5. Perhaps it is time to start it...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:09 pm

In hindsight, I probably should have said what I meant by secondary response.

In v4, you get the usual box to display when a task is completed, but there's also an additional box to display text if the task is tried again. For example, you might have a task which says "well done, you did it!" the first time it's completed and which awards you cash and points. Try it again and you see a different message ("yay, you did it again!") and you aren't awarded any cash or points. v5 doesn't seem to have the same thing unless it's now done by the "alternative descriptions" thing. I'll have to look into it.

I think a "getting started with v5" thread would be a great idea. It's much more complicated than v4 and I'd imagine a lot of that complexity is off-putting to newcomers.
David Whyld

Postby Denk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:32 pm

David Whyld wrote:In v4, you get the usual box to display when a task is completed, but there's also an additional box to display text if the task is tried again. For example, you might have a task which says "well done, you did it!" the first time it's completed and which awards you cash and points. Try it again and you see a different message ("yay, you did it again!") and you aren't awarded any cash or points.
OK, got it. Though alternative descriptions can handle the different messages, the same actions will be carried out as the first time, so if you are awarding cash* the first time, you will also be awarding cash the second time the task is completed, though with a different message if you are using alternative descriptions.

*: Note that if you are using the built-in %Score% variable, ADRIFT ensures that you are not awarding points twice for the same task.

To achieve what you want, one method is to put the secondary message in a restriction. Let's say the first time you run the task you set a variable e.g. set %task5% to 1. And then have a task restriction which requires that %task5% is equal to zero, otherwise the restriction message will be given and no actions run. In your example, the restriction message is thus "yay, you did it again!".

If you have a combination, e.g. some actions are taken the first time, other actions are taken after the first time, then you would have to make two different tasks taking into account the two different situations. Note that you can call tasks from within a task, which you could also utilize.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby The0didactus » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:35 pm

I think the above explanation works. You can also create a later task that fires with the same command but only if the previous task is "unset".

I REALLY like v5's ability to easily add alternative descriptions for the same task. It can add a lot of variety to a game, simply by making randomly differentiated responses to commands like "pick up" or "fire pistol" or whatever.
The0didactus

Postby Denk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:47 pm

David Whyld wrote:I think a "getting started with v5" thread would be a great idea. It's much more complicated than v4 and I'd imagine a lot of that complexity is off-putting to newcomers.
Ok, the thread is now up: http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12082

Now we need to put something in it :)
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am

A couple of weeks have now passed since I switched to v5 and it’s certainly been a learning experience if nothing else. Some of the things v5 can do really leave v4 in the shade, but for every good thing about it there's some weird design choice that I just can’t get my head around and I seem to be constantly falling afoul of. I'm sure Campbell had good reasons for doing things the way he did, but it’s a struggle to see the logic in it sometimes.

My game hasn’t made much progress since the switch. Checking everything and fixing stuff has taken a lot longer than I anticipated but I think I'm close to the end of the process now so hopefully it won’t be long before I can actually start adding stuff again. One big advantage of switching is that my game no longer suffers the annoying slowdown issues that were beginning to affect it with v4. Things are much smoother. It’ll likely be a better game overall. I'm still in two minds whether the extra effort of using v5 is really worth sacrificing the ease of v4 for, but so far I haven’t ran into any insurmountable problems so I'm sticking with it.

Progress to date:

Size: 261kb
Locations: 170
Objects: 293
Tasks: 1017
Characters: 41
Events: 19
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:05 am

Well, well! So Mr. Whyld has FINALLY seen the light! :claps: :yeah: :haha: (Sorry, couldn't resist that!)

Don't forget that if you need a playtester for your game, now I am retired from work I am at your disposal!
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm

I might just hold you to that :)

As it happens, I went back to working on my game after posting the above message yesterday and ten minutes later realised I'd finished sorting out all the old stuff, so now I can work on the new stuff.
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:32 am

Woah. Almost a month since the last update, which isn't good.

The game is still making progress but it’s been kind of on the backburner for the past few weeks as I keep coming up with ideas for new games and working on them instead. I think the main issue is lack of planning really beginning to affect this game. I keep adding extra parts to the game then re-thinking whether I need them or not. Already, a lot of the locations I added earlier I'm questioning as to whether they need to be there or not and the same goes for the many of the NPCs. They were added with the general idea that I’d get around to including them in the main storyline ‘at some point’ but now I'm not sure that's ever going to happen. So I've now got lots of pointless locations and NPCs scattered around. In a way, it’s not a total disaster as not every location or NPC has to be vital to the game – some are just scenery or filler or simply there to flesh out things – but it’s making me wish I’d planned it a bit more beforehand. I’d probably have finished it by now if I’d been more organised to begin with.

Size: 279kb
Locations: 176
Objects: 359
Tasks: 1052
Characters: 46
Events: 20
David Whyld

Previous

Return to W.I.P.