ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

D-Day

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

D-Day

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:26 pm

I thought I'd better get my Viking butt into gear and join the rest of you guys :yeah:
I'm writing something about the game and will be posting soon.
This is the intro picture:
Loc - 0 Intro.jpg
Loc - 0 Intro.jpg (472.93 KiB) Viewed 382 times

I have been working on this game since Adrift 4. When Campbell released V.5 I tried to convert the Taf file to the new format but ended up deciding against it and started all over.
This is probably the biggest task I’ve ever done using Adrift and I may be sticking my neck out implementing pictures and sound.
I have a few problems regarding the graphics and the layout of the runner window.
Some of the pictures will have clues hidden within them and I would like to “lock” the graphic window and have the text scroll up under it so the player doesn’t have to scroll up and down every time s/he wants to look at the picture.
Sounds are not important for the game but adds to the atmosphere so that shouldn’t be a problem for those who prefer not to have it turned on.
Also, in order to make the game as realistic as possible the chance of survival moving from the beach (if you get there) and to the seawall is randomized depending on what part of the beach you’re moving from. There is one safe way to get there, but I’m not telling.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 54Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: D-Day

Postby Lumin » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:37 am

You've really been working on this one forever. I haven't kept up with updates on the new runners that are supposed to be in the works, but maybe one of them will be a solution to the issues you've had.

This board was a great idea btw, it's a well known fact that all writers like to talk about their projects WAY more than they enjoy actually working on them, so it's already livening the place up.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:26 pm

I believe Po first started work on this before the actual D-Day but had to delay the original version because it might have tipped Hitler off. Since then he's made slow but steady progress and expects to have an early beta version out by 2043.
David Whyld

Postby The0didactus » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:19 pm

It would be so cool if the ADRIFT community could storm IFCOMP with a bunch of huge, sprawling games. I realize many people see IFCOMP as limited to games "playable in 2 hours" but I see IFCOMP mainly as a system for incentivizing the creation of games of any length, and ADRIFT is such a good system for the big sprawling games. You can just flip it on and be like "You know I'll add a 10-room haunted mansion to this game just cuz"
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:20 pm

David Whyld wrote:I believe Po first started work on this before the actual D-Day but had to delay the original version because it might have tipped Hitler off. Since then he's made slow but steady progress and expects to have an early beta version out by 2043.

Okay this got a real and actual "laugh out loud", wonderful job. Image
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:04 pm

:|
It's a shame that the "smacking thread" is closed… I wouldn't mind sending out a few after having read the post here… :angel:
:wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:40 pm

I'm always happy to amuse myself by mocking other people's struggles with getting games finished, while quietly overlooking the fact that I've only written one full sized game myself in the last five years.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:50 pm

David Whyld wrote:I'm always happy to amuse myself by mocking other people's struggles with getting games finished, while quietly overlooking the fact that I've only written one full sized game myself in the last five years.

I have to give you a thumps up for you suggesting to start this thread.
And the fact that I am now going to remind everyone that you haven't written more than 1 game in the last 5 years is not going to overshadow (much) the 5 points I'm awarding you for coming up with this, dare I say it?) brilliant idea. :D

P.s.
The weekend at Berchtesgaden wasn't all it was cracked up to be. :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Thanks for the 5 points, but I'm not sure I want "thumping up" :)

(See what I did there? Arf arf!)
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:04 pm

David Whyld wrote:Thanks for the 5 points, but I'm not sure I want "thumping up" :)

(See what I did there? Arf arf!)

Too late… rofl
By the way-- The 5 points wasn't just for the brilliant suggestion. It was also because I didn't want Lumin to get too far ahead of ou 8)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:11 am

27 Apr:
At this moment I’m trying to get D-Day back on track. The last time I worked on D-Day was January 16 (Now hold on to your hats) 2018.
There’s a lot of “How/why did I do that?” and “This needs to changed.” Going on at the moment but as soon as I get back into the game I’ll continue working.
Most of the game has already been mapped out and planned. I really “just” need to glue it together and add location descriptions, tasks, events etc.
I have found a way to work around the graphic problem:
Picture 1:
This is how it looks now. You must agree that it looks like a mess. The only good thing is that the background is black.
Picture 2:
This is how I would like it to look. (never mind the pale blue background)
The picture is shown on the upper part of the screen and the text is scrolled up under it.
This way the player will have the picture in front of him and will be able to look for hidden clues.
Picture 3:
Working around the problem.
The graphics window is to the right and the text window is to the left. Here you also have the (irritating) pale blue background but at least the picture will be stationary.

The final problem is that, as far as I know, it is not possible to “lock” the runner window so it stays the way the author sets it. I realize that there are pro and cons regarding a locked runner, but it worked fine with Legends’ games (Eric the Unready) being a good example.

1 a mess.jpg
Picture 1: Very messy
1 a mess.jpg (435.74 KiB) Viewed 263 times
2 Ok.jpg
Picture 2: How I would like it to look.
2 Ok.jpg (487.25 KiB) Viewed 263 times
3 solution.jpg
Picture 3: A usable solution.
3 solution.jpg (460.39 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Eric.jpg
Picture 4: Perfect.
Eric.jpg (122.03 KiB) Viewed 263 times
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Wow, great writing on that first image there.
The0didactus

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:29 am

I wonder if saabies version of runner (at least i think that is what he is working on?) will address this issue with being able to lock windows exactly the way you want with the user being able to make tweaks based on their monitor size. Having to manually set it up each time is annoying. Also custom windows has major issues. It is only safe to use 1 custom window, adding more it glitches out, i have found it is possible to have two working but is so hard to get it to behave it it is not reliable to release a game to the public with more than one custom window. While on this topic, if you manually close (clicking on x) of a custom window there is no getting it back even rerunning the game in runner. You have to rename the custom window in the task that displays it to get it back. Still 1 custom window is most of the time reliable. And if saabie is working on a upgraded runner i hope multiple custom windows can work as they would be very useful.

Anyway its good to hear you are working on DDay again, i know what you mean by opening and old game and trying to get to grips with it again that can be one thing that can be a put off especially if its a big game.
DazaKiwi

Postby saabie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:41 am

Yes, a BLORB file contains layout information so I will initially display the game exactly the way the author had it setup when the BLORB was created.
The player will then be able to adjust the layout on a per-game basis if their monitor has a different aspect ratio or if they need the text to be bigger or smaller to suit their monitor size.
saabie

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:26 am

saabie wrote:Yes, a BLORB file contains layout information so I will initially display the game exactly the way the author had it setup when the BLORB was created.
The player will then be able to adjust the layout on a per-game basis if their monitor has a different aspect ratio or if they need the text to be bigger or smaller to suit their monitor size.

That sounds like just the thing I need. :D
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Next

Return to W.I.P.