ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

D-Day

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Re: D-Day

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:35 am

I'll be honest: that second picture would definitely put me off playing the game if the Runner window was locked to that position and couldn't be changed. The top two-thirds of the screen is taken up by one huge image with way too much white space around it, with the text crammed into the lower third of the screen. The text itself is tiny. There's no way I could comfortably read that for an entire game. I'd have to make it much larger (assuming the 'locked' Runner would even let me do that) which would leave me with maybe 7 or 8 lines of text on display. If the amount of text in that location is present throughout the rest of the game, that would mean the entire text area would be taken up by the location description and there'd be no room for anything else. Sorry, but I doubt I'd want to play the game if the Runner was locked in this way.

There's probably a very good reason why Campbell didn't put in an option to lock the Runner display. What authors and players consider a good idea for how the Runner should look are often worlds apart.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:09 pm

David Whyld wrote:
There's probably a very good reason why Campbell didn't put in an option to lock the Runner display. What authors and players consider a good idea for how the Runner should look are often worlds apart.

Yep. Even what Campbell considered a good look for the runner is just painful and I haven't seen too many authors who put thought into anything I'd call readability. However much custom stuff is put in I'll still just immediately be setting it to black text on grey background or vise versa so my eyes can't be assaulted by whatever garish color combo they thought was a good idea for some reason.

Back to Finn's game, I honestly see no issue with an image you have to now and then scroll up a bit to examine again. I'd be fine with the first one if it was centered and the text was formatted more cleanly around it and find it preferable to the second one also.

I never scroll to reexamine a normal room description either for that matter, I just >look again.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:30 pm

@David: I totally agree with you regarding the background colour of the graphic window. I would prefer it if it could be changed too.
As for the size of the window and the text, please don't take the picture as a final result. It was just to show how I'd like the picture and text positioned. Using this "template" allows the player to adjust the size of the windows up and down changing the size of the picture should s/he so desire.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 54Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Previous

Return to W.I.P.